Rumor: Jeff Skinner?

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Craig Schwer
‏@Craig_Schwer
@ChrisKuc what do you think/hear of these Jeff Skinner to CHI rumors?

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 7m7 minutes ago
Chris Kuc retweeted Craig Schwer
I actually heard Skinner's name mentioned as a possibility for the #Blackhawks at last year's trade deadline.

Anyone else heard of this? How would we make this work? Back up plan if Kane gets charged? I'm so confused on this

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Can't imagine that it'd work without giving up a lot for him.

Plus, Hawks trades tend to not get leaked ahead of time, so I'll take any reported rumor with a grain of salt.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
That really isn't any kind of relevant news right now. He basically just said the Hawks were in on Skinner at the deadline, which is true. Haven't seen any decent source say the Hawks are back in on Skinner.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Unless we get 10.5m in free cap space due to a certain incident, we wouldn't be able to afford Skinner without Carolina retaining salary.

We'd have to trade Bickell, Versteeg, and Shaw and replace them with cheap players on ELCs. And even then, once we have a 22 man roster, we'd have less than 1m in cap space still available for bonuses and/or call-ups.

The math doesn't work.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Even if Hawks had cap room there is no reason to bring in a guy like Skinner

His concussion history is terrifying and he continues to get caught with his head down constantly

Its only a matter of time until he suffers another one

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Around the lead up to the deadline there was a proclaimed comment the Hawks were interested in a trade of someone "like" Jeff Skinner. Whatever that meant I'm not sure.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I can't even imagine what the Hawks even have left that could yield Skinner or how they'd fit under. Shaw+McNeill+Bickell maybe?

Edit: Didn't realize how awful Skinner has been lately. Talk about a good buy low that kid has a ton of talent.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like Skinner. He'd fit in well with our Team.

Don't know how to fit him or what we'd have to give to get him

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Skinner being mentioned at last year trade deadline means nothing today ... different team, different needs

Need something to talk about in a slow time of year I guess

LandofLincoln*

exactly

Skinner being mentioned at last year trade deadline means nothing today ... different team, different needs

Need something to talk about in a slow time of year I guess

Needs have changed, trades have taken place and I feel like we're beating a dead horse with Skinner scenarios.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The rumour JJ is floating at hockeybuzz.com is that it could be Bickell and a high-priced vet for Skinner and a Carolina prospect and the Hawks getting significant cap savings gs back...but who is high-priced Hawks vet..cannot mean Hossa who is not tradeable due to the re-capture penalty if he retires early from the term on his contract...and JJ says it is not Versteeg who in any case 8s not high-priced for the cap purposes to us or to any team..Neither would Shaw be high-priced...so that leaves Seabrook ...which means they would want Hanan as the prospect...Hawks would then have to sign FA Dmen or 5rade for another vet dman...Could Hanan give us 20 minutes a game and do as well
as Seabs (be a -3 in regular season..but flip the switch to great in the playoffs?)...

AS to the CC to WPG for Pavelic and a Jets top prospect...their top prospects are (C) Kyle Connor , (LW ) Nik Ehlers, and (D) Josh Morrissey......Speculate on who the Hawks would want..That deal does save us considerable CAP space...Probably more likely than any deal with Carolina in my opinion.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Personally I'd view Skinner's contract as worse than Bickell's. At least with Bickell we could get out of it after 2 years. Or the buyout next summer is much softer. Skinner has 4 seasons left making 6 mil per. Coming off a 31 point season and with his concussion history? Yikes, no thanks.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can see why some people might like Skinner as a buy low option, but for the Hawks I don't think it makes any sense. The term is too long. If he doesn't bounce back it just furthers the Hawks cap problems as he at 5.725 for the next 4 seasons. I think he's a good buy low for another team, just not the Hawks.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I can see why some people might like Skinner as a buy low option, but for the Hawks I don't think it makes any sense. The term is too long. If he doesn't bounce back it just furthers the Hawks cap problems as he at 5.725 for the next 4 seasons. I think he's a good buy low for another team, just not the Hawks.

5.7 per year for the next 4 years is NOT buying low for a concussion headed 31 point scorer

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
5.7 per year for the next 4 years is NOT buying low for a concussion headed 31 point scorer

Buying low in terms of what it would take to get him. 2 years ago, Skinner was thought of as very good up and comer and a cornerstone piece to the Canes future. Now, the Canes might be happy to just get out from under the contract (like Hawks with Bickell) for little return. If I was a team with cap space, I could see buying low on him.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

Buying low in terms of what it would take to get him. 2 years ago, Skinner was thought of as very good up and comer and a cornerstone piece to the Canes future. Now, the Canes might be happy to just get out from under the contract (like Hawks with Bickell) for little return. If I was a team with cap space, I could see buying low on him.

As a Canes fan, nope. Francis has said he'd only be moved for great value. He still will be a cornerstone of the franchise if we keep him.

If great value isn't there, we'd just as well keep him.

The concussion history is worrisome, but he's a 23 year old with 115 career goals.

Since Skinner entered the league, he is 15th in the entire NHL in even strength goals per 60 minutes among those with at least 2000 minutes played. That's ahead of Hossa, Kane, Ovechkin, Tavares, Kessel Sharp, Pavelski, Saad, and Ryan.

He is one of the very best goal scorers in the entire league, and he wouldn't be "buy low" or cheap. If the Canes could get a more well-rounded player of similar quality, obviously we'd make that move but Skinner possesses an extremely rare skill set.

He had a down year with inconsistent linemates with absurdly bad shooting percentage luck on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Last year isn't indicative of what Skinner is as a player.

Just clearing up some apparent misconceptions :)

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
As a Canes fan, nope. Francis has said he'd only be moved for great value. He still will be a cornerstone of the franchise if we keep him.

If great value isn't there, we'd just as well keep him.

The concussion history is worrisome, but he's a 23 year old with 115 career goals.

Since Skinner entered the league, he is 15th in the entire NHL in even strength goals per 60 minutes among those with at least 2000 minutes played. That's ahead of Hossa, Kane, Ovechkin, Tavares, Kessel Sharp, Pavelski, Saad, and Ryan.

He is one of the very best goal scorers in the entire league, and he wouldn't be "buy low" or cheap. If the Canes could get a more well-rounded player of similar quality, obviously we'd make that move but Skinner possesses an extremely rare skill set.

He had a down year with inconsistent linemates with absurdly bad shooting percentage luck on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Last year isn't indicative of what Skinner is as a player.

Just clearing up some apparent misconceptions :)

What happened last year? We know he was a fabulous player earlier in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad