Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Eichel/Skinner is the new Lafontaine/Mogilny. But the latter never had Dahlin.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I hope emotions/asking price don’t prevail when and if Sabres sign Skinner.
November emotions/asking price may be much different than February/March/April emotions/asking price.

It’s a business. If he signs, hope he signs for something not too obscene. Nothing that’s almost impossible to move (if need be) like other players around the league.

One things for sure, he’s a hell of a talent with Eichel as his centerman.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Jeff Skinner is Zach Parise 2011. Both are 26 years old, small gritty wingers with a nose for the net in their contract year.

Both are currently at their peak and having their career year.

In hindsight, what would you be willing to pay Zach Parise for years 2012-2018?

Reactions: Gordo21

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
You know a lot of us take sides and argue back and forth but go find one poster who didn't think acquiring Skinner was a genius move.

So to all of us:

leo-toast-9.w710.h473.gif

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Love this guy and his tenacity but if he wants more than $8m a season he can take a walk. We can't afford to pay him $9+ or we are shooting ourselves in the foot in the backend of this contract. Based on his previous seasons this guy should take $8m/8 year contract and run. That's a huge amount of money for a guy that has mainly been a streaky scorer throughout his career and not even close to PPG.

A large part of his offensive explosion is due to Eichel and the cast surrounding him. The honeymoon period is great and all but take a look at this guy's career stats and how little Carolina was willing to accept for him to ship him off.
It is really hard to compare his stats from the past when he has never had a center like Eichel.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Get him signed long term for the cup runs., then we'd have 2/3 of the top line locked up...The time to make a move is before the trade deadline...Get er' dun Botts.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Get him signed long term for the cup runs., then we'd have 2/3 of the top line locked up...The time to make a move is before the trade deadline...Get er' dun Botts.

I was just telling someone if they wait until after the trade deadline then they can sign him to eight years. Not good for anyone's nerves but I could see that being something they do.

Good to hear Botts say yesterday that they are in constant communication with Skinner's agency. He wouldn't say they are talking contract - made it sound like it's just about the hockey - but there has to be numbers and terms going back and forth, even if it's only casually.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

During a longer discussion on the terrific run both Skinner and the Sabres have been on, the point was made to LeBrun that the Sabres “basically got him for a steal - picks and a prospect.”

“In Carolina’s defense, there just wasn’t a great market for Jeff Skinner,” recalled LeBrun. “They tried all summer to trade him. Tried to trade him at the draft. There weren’t that many teams interested in him.

“And I don’t know if there were concerns about his health, or what, but it wasn’t a big market. It’s not like the Hurricanes didn’t know how to trade Jeff Skinner. They talked to every team available and couldn’t get going. L.A. had some interest at one point, but did Kovalchuk instead. So it wasn’t a big market.

“I also think, just so people know - because of course now the Hurricanes are 27th in the league in scoring, ‘Well, why did they trade Jeff Skinner.’ I sense, even though no one has confirmed this, I sense that both between the Hurricanes and Skinner it was kind of a mutual desire to sort of exit from each other.

If Lebrun is to be believed, and I don’t know why he wouldn’t be, this contradicts the theory some have that Skinner became available around the time we got him.

So Skinner was available and being shopped before we traded ROR. There was little interest league wide so I wonder if we just played a waiting game to drive price down. Or if Botts circled back after working on other things in free agency and other possible trades. Or maybe a bit of both.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I was just telling someone if they wait until after the trade deadline then they can sign him to eight years. Not good for anyone's nerves but I could see that being something they do.

Good to hear Botts say yesterday that they are in constant communication with Skinner's agency. He wouldn't say they are talking contract - made it sound like it's just about the hockey - but there has to be numbers and terms going back and forth, even if it's only casually.
Unless they have an under the table agreement (and are smart enough to not let anyone find out) there is absolutely no way in hell that happens. After this past offseason no team is ever going to be stupid enough to let a key player get to UFA ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad