Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They often are, just need to find the right sucker. Too bad Chiarelli doesn't have any more top line forwards to trade.

That’s true. One man has really skewed the results on this one.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Who are the comparables that Skinner’s agent and and Botts are coming to the table with?

The agent will scoff when Botts points to Kane’s deal, I’m sure. Paciorrety at $7M? Wheeler at $8.25? I literally can’t think of any $9M/$9.5M contracts going to wingers recently.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That’s true. One man has really skewed the results on this one.
Even then you've had guys like Hoffman, Pacioretty, JVR change teams this off-season. The upcoming UFA crop has Panarin, Stone, Eberle, Duchene, Simmonds, Lee.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Who are the comparables that Skinner’s agent and and Botts are coming to the table with?

The agent will scoff when Botts points to Kane’s deal, I’m sure. Paciorrety at $7M? Wheeler at $8.25? I literally can’t think of any $9M/$9.5M contracts going to wingers recently.
Look at it from a cap% standpoint. Jame brought up Voracek's contract a few weeks ago, which was equivalent to a 9M AAV contract under current cap.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Benn kucherov

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

Stone most definitely sets the floor with his 1yr/$7.35m deal one would think. Voracek might be a decent comparable. $66m/8yrs at 8.25 AAV in 2015-16. Bump that up a few percentage points due to cap inflation and you’re probably around $8.5-8.75m.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Stone most definitely sets the floor with his 1yr/$7.35m deal one would think. Voracek might be a decent comparable. $66m/8yrs at 8.25 AAV in 2015-16. Bump that up a few percentage points due to cap inflation and you’re probably around $8.5-8.75m.

Based on the responses, I think you're right on the money -- he'll get around $8.75M

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't think Stone's deal is relevant to the situation. The 10M he's getting from some team might, if it happens before July.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't think Stone's deal is relevant to the situation. The 10M he's getting from some team might, if it happens before July.

You think he's getting 10? Yikes. Skinner will surely use that as a reference, although probably will stay closer to 9, if I had to guess. Didn't realize how many wingers were up this year.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You think he's getting 10? Yikes. Skinner will surely use that as a reference, although probably will stay closer to 9, if I had to guess. Didn't realize how many wingers were up this year.
List of RWs I'd rather have than Mark Stone:
Nikita Kucherov

so yeah, I think he's easily worth 10M

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
List of RWs I'd rather have than Mark Stone:
Nikita Kucherov

so yeah, I think he's easily worth 10M

“Worth” is not what I was asking, but I can extrapolate to assume you also meant that you think he’ll actually get 10 on the market.

Not sure he will based on conparables, though I agree he’s among the better wingers in the league and has a strong case for a big AAV.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I'm not sure that in the end, that Buffalo won't be the best place. Chemistry is pretty important. And he'll get paid enough; and his money will go pretty far here.

Member 308457

Anyone know how many of Jeff's goals are off the rebound? It must be almost all of them. Quickly getting the stick on the rebound and picking the hole all in the same swipe is a huge skill in itself.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Anyone know how many of Jeff's goals are off the rebound? It must be almost all of them. Quickly getting the stick on the rebound and picking the hole all in the same swipe is a huge skill in itself.
It's one of the strengths to his game and an area that the team has severely lacked before Skinner - being in the right place at the right time and working into those dirty areas. Skinner works hard around the net.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Not more than 8 to 8.5mil.
The other guys like Vorackek, Benn and Kucherov have all much better individual numbers over their careers.
Skinner is on his way to his only PPG season.
He never scored over 70 points.
He is closer to E. Kane than those guys in career numbers.
(Its just the numbers, I am glad we have Skinner instead :)
I think 8mil is the ceiling in what should be paid.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
An amazing season start for Jeff Skinner so far and fun to watch Buffalo recently doing this well - let`s hope it last until playoffs! ;)
And it`s coming from a Nuck & a Rangers fan. :)

Reactions: Yatzhee and Dingo44

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
An amazing season start for Jeff Skinner so far and fun to watch Buffalo recently doing this well - let`s hope it last until playoffs! ;)
And it`s coming from a Nuck & a Rangers fan. :)
Thank you fellow hockey fan :)
The win streak iis fun. But just to see a competitive Sabres team again, win or lose, is a big relief.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Love this guy and his tenacity but if he wants more than $8m a season he can take a walk. We can't afford to pay him $9+ or we are shooting ourselves in the foot in the backend of this contract. Based on his previous seasons this guy should take $8m/8 year contract and run. That's a huge amount of money for a guy that has mainly been a streaky scorer throughout his career and not even close to PPG.

A large part of his offensive explosion is due to Eichel and the cast surrounding him. The honeymoon period is great and all but take a look at this guy's career stats and how little Carolina was willing to accept for him to ship him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->