Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Never said they did? Youre reaching for something. You cant just put words in my mouth. You really think Lalime was a better overall goalie then Hasek?
I have no idea what you're going on about, but you used Poms' goals on that line as a basis to suggest that we would see a similar result if Tage played there even though (and again the point) they play very different games. Tage doesn't have the instincts or quick reactions around the goal to score those. Tage negatively impacted Jack in the short window they played together, not vice versa and I would argue it's at least partially bc of the type of game Tage tries to play.

Also, this probably should be in the roster thread not the Skinner one.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
If he's not signed to a new contract by the deadline he has to be traded. Straight forward and simple. Both are completely reasonable outcomes. The only unreasonable outcome would be to get Tavares'd out of what would be a slam dunk 1st rounder at the deadline, and more than likely a good deal more.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If he's not signed to a new contract by the deadline he has to be traded. Straight forward and simple. Both are completely reasonable outcomes. The only unreasonable outcome would be to get Tavares'd out of what would be a slam dunk 1st rounder at the deadline, and more than likely a good deal more.

It's very likely that Skinner and his agent are saying they want an 8 yr deal, which can only be signed after the TDL. You want Botterill to say, "No, sign for 7 or I'm trading you, because I don't believe you're going to sign tomorrow for 8 years"?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

If he isn't signed, GMJB should listen to offers. IF he gets a deal he can't refuse (i.e. a 1st and an A Grade prospect), then he can move him. Short of that.....keep him.

Remember, Skinner has a NMC and has already wielded it judiciously.

Skinner is looking at maximizing his next contract not win a cup this season. I'm not sure he's going to find a better position than riding shotgun with Eichel the rest of the year, UFA or not.

Reactions: Jim Bob

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Why pay an extra $1.5-$2M per year for an "Eichel bump" in a players shooting percentage and counting stats?

Eichel's already getting paid for that impact on others. Moreover, some of you freely admit you could plug an aging Pominville (or pick another current or future Sabre of modest talent) onto one of the wings and get a similar bump in counting stats.

Pay Skinner for what he is intrinsically. A 26yo 4 x 30 goal scorer and an annual 20-goal (or pace during lockout year) scorer.

Sabres need to avoid the Pascal Dupuis scenario of overpaying for bump in production from a premier center. Even better, the Sabres need to find their own Pascal Dupuis who they can plug with Eichel (replace Poms), pay $1.5M, and pot 25 goals.

Reactions: Jim Bob

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Why pay an extra $1.5-$2M per year for an "Eichel bump" in a players shooting percentage and counting stats?

Eichel's already getting paid for that impact on others. Moreover, some of you freely admit you could plug an aging Pominville (or pick another current or future Sabre of modest talent) onto one of the wings and get a similar bump in counting stats.

Pay Skinner for what he is intrinsically. A 26yo 4 x 30 goal scorer and an annual 20-goal (or pace during lockout year) scorer.

Sabres need to avoid the Pascal Dupuis scenario of overpaying for bump in production from a premier center. Even better, the Sabres need to find their own Pascal Dupuis who they can plug with Eichel (replace Poms), pay $1.5M, and pot 25 goals.

Ideally VO turns into that dude

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's his agent talking. Typical response.
Can't imagine what anyone expects him to say otherwise.

"Yeah, you know...I think it's BS that no one has noticed that I'm a superstar here and they haven't backed up the Pegula Family Money truck to my condo so I can play Scrooge McDuck in a bathtub full of hundos. To be honest, I'm seriously considering taking the rest of the season off at this point."

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

He has a full NMC. Pierre LeBrun confirmed this. He only moves if he wants to move. This is why the Sabres got him so cheap, everybody knew he'd be tough to flip again.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Best case scenario:

Trade him for good value and his production falls off a cliff so he feels he has to re-sign with us and we have more leverage. He likely wouldn't be on the first line of most contending teams that would trade for him.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Best case scenario:

Trade him for good value and his production falls off a cliff so he feels he has to re-sign with us and we have more leverage. He likely wouldn't be on the first line of most contending teams that would trade for him.
best case scenario is we sign him and he continues to produce well over the whole contract.....instead of trying to make the team worse lets not trade our good players away.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Best case scenario:

He cannot be just traded. Sabres have no leverage at all. Zero. He can say he's not going anywhere and Sabres lose him for nothing, Only leverage is if he wants to play out year with a true contender.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
best case scenario is we sign him and he continues to produce well over the whole contract.....instead of trying to make the team worse lets not trade our good players away.

So signing and getting an extra asset too is somehow worse? Got it.

He cannot be just traded. Sabres have no leverage at all. Zero. He can say he's not going anywhere and Sabres lose him for nothing, Only leverage is if he wants to play out year with a true contender.

I said best case scenario, not the likely scenario.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Yeah, all that has happened under Housley is he went from being a career-average 27 goal scorer to on pace for 49 goals and 12 points away from matching his career seasons in Game 54.
I think he'd trade his lofty stats for his career average for a trip to the playoffs.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I assume we're leaving Jack and Sam out of that? :) They're both having career seasons as well.

Yup. Because Jack and Sam are young 2 overall picks who growing as expected.

I’m sorry but Phil Housley isn’t teaching a thing to those three guys about how to play offense. Not a lick.

I’d be happy to give credit to Botts for getting a quality sniper to match up with those two, providing lots of talent for that line.

There has to be consistency in your evaluation.

Housley can’t get credit for established nhlers having career years, in s league where pretty much every star is having a career year, but then say it’s not his fault that Sobotka’s production is horrible compared to last year of mitts and Tage sucking or Sheary being meh.

I’d be all with you if I saw some kind of team wide lift, but when basically Sam and Skinner are the only ones with a big bump, Jack is only on pace for like 10-15 points more than his usual ppg, I don’t see that as coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->