Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
That slap pass wasn't easy to handle either. Was that Bogo?
Ristolainen got the primary assist on that one and that's his go-to move to break the puck out other than throwing it up the boards to a pinching defenseman.

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
with the trade deadline on the horizon, I hope he signs before, if not we should see if he'll lift his NMC

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Skinner has now reached the 2nd best goal scoring season of his career, 4 away from a new high. Even if he scores at a .25 gpg the last 26 games of the season he would still hit 40 goals. It has been a decade since we had a 40 goal scorer. Botts deserves credit for bringing him in and even more credit if he extends him.

Now for whatever reason he does not extend and is willing to waive his NMC I would expect a huge return. Brian Boyle got a 2nd, if Skinner is moved the 2nd leading goal scorer would bring back a 1st+top prospect. Probably more. Skinner is either kept 8 years between 8 or 9 per agreed upon at the TDL or he is dealt at the deadline. Do not foresee him being here in March and beyond without an extension.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Skinner has now reached the 2nd best goal scoring season of his career, 4 away from a new high. Even if he scores at a .25 gpg the last 26 games of the season he would still hit 40 goals. It has been a decade since we had a 40 goal scorer. Botts deserves credit for bringing him in and even more credit if he extends him.

Now for whatever reason he does not extend and is willing to waive his NMC I would expect a huge return. Brian Boyle got a 2nd, if Skinner is moved the 2nd leading goal scorer would bring back a 1st+top prospect. Probably more. Skinner is either kept 8 years between 8 or 9 per agreed upon at the TDL or he is dealt at the deadline. Do not foresee him being here in March and beyond without an extension.

He cannot be signed for 8 years until AFTER the trade deadline — that’s an issue. Not a big one because he can’t be traded without his permission. He’s not going anywhere. We sign him or lose him for nothing.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Interesting thread on the main board about the Islanders pretty desperately needing a scoring-line winger to play with Barzal. If they dangled Bode Wilde and a 1st, would we be willing to deal Skinner to them and then try to get him back in FA? He gets a shot at a title now, not too terribly far from home, and then hopefully we sign him for the same money that we would have anyway and slightly shorter term which seems like it would make several people here more comfortable.

Obviously my hope (and everyone's) is to keep Skinner, sign him to 8 years, make the playoffs and go on to many years of glory. But this is kind of an intriguing side-possibility to me.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Interesting thread on the main board about the Islanders pretty desperately needing a scoring-line winger to play with Barzal. If they dangled Bode Wilde and a 1st, would we be willing to deal Skinner to them and then try to get him back in FA? He gets a shot at a title now, not too terribly far from home, and then hopefully we sign him for the same money that we would have anyway and slightly shorter term which seems like it would make several people here more comfortable.

Obviously my hope (and everyone's) is to keep Skinner, sign him to 8 years, make the playoffs and go on to many years of glory. But this is kind of an intriguing side-possibility to me.
Still a risk and its putting a lot of faith in him coming back in FA. A lot can happen between now and July 1, what if he really clicks and finds that he kinda likes being in NYC? Isles have Lee & Nelson to re-sign which are likely, but Eberle too, what if they just let Eberle walk and replace him with Skinner going forward?

Getting a couple of assets and re-signing him would be great, but not sure I want to mess around too much, losing him would create another crater sized hole in the line-up.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Getting a couple of assets and re-signing him would be great, but not sure I want to mess around too much, losing him would create another crater sized hole in the line-up.
Definitely agree that it would be a gamble, no question. I think I'd prefer to just lock him up, rather than mess around. Just wanted to get some discussion on it. If we could have a Matt Moulson situation (obviously without the massive regression in his game), that would certainly be ideal.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Definitely agree that it would be a gamble, no question. I think I'd prefer to just lock him up, rather than mess around. Just wanted to get some discussion on it. If we could have a Matt Moulson situation (obviously without the massive regression in his game), that would certainly be ideal.
yeah for sure, it would be great if they truly had a 'wink wink' deal to come back knowing that he helped get his team a few more assets.

Reactions: Reddawg

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I can’t shake the feeling that this is going to be the next bad Winger contract for the Sabres in about three years.
No question there is risk. Skinner cannot be considered a 200 foot multi purpose player. To be valuable he needs a star centre on his line. With that he is dynamite. Without Jack he has not been anywhere the player he is with Jack. Other teams get that too. When we got him I was thrilled to get a great skating sniper. But he is no heavy weight and has had some concussion history although nothing we know of lately. I would sign him for 8 years but not for a full nmc and not for more than about 8m per year. We need a scorer and we will have to pay to keep him--we just cannot be stupid about it.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I do like the joy in Skinner's game more than anything. He clearly loves hockey. That he's in a Sabres uniform is a bonus. I'd like to see him re-signed, but I'd be fine with offering him a bone of a trade to a bona-fide playoff team in return for re-signing in the offseason, if it is NOT Botts plan to make a Sabres
playoff push this season.
He's depressed. His life long dream was to play for Phil Housley and it was snatched away.
You've been in rare form these past few months...

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
No question there is risk. Skinner cannot be considered a 200 foot multi purpose player. To be valuable he needs a star centre on his line. With that he is dynamite. Without Jack he has not been anywhere the player he is with Jack. Other teams get that too. When we got him I was thrilled to get a great skating sniper. But he is no heavy weight and has had some concussion history although nothing we know of lately. I would sign him for 8 years but not for a full nmc and not for more than about 8m per year. We need a scorer and we will have to pay to keep him--we just cannot be stupid about it.
That was true for the first handful of games this season, but when Housley blended the lines a few weeks ago Skinner was looking just fine without Jack.

Doesn't matter much though-- Jack will be here for the entirety of Skinner's next contract.

Skinner is the guy I would expect would take a big salary cut for a full NMC.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That was true for the first handful of games this season, but when Housley blended the lines a few weeks ago Skinner was looking just fine without Jack.

Doesn't matter much though-- Jack will be here for the entirety of Skinner's next contract.

Skinner is the guy I would expect would take a big salary cut for a full NMC.

I believe that is very wishful thinking.

Skinner is going to want to get PAID and get the NMC, too.

I've always thought that Skinner was unlikely to give the Sabres a discount on an extension to be close to home.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I believe that is very wishful thinking.

Skinner is going to want to get PAID and get the NMC, too.

I've always thought that Skinner was unlikely to give the Sabres a discount on an extension to be close to home.

Agree.

I’ve said for awhile now that I think he’ll want and get ...
1. NMC/NTC of some sort
2. Full term of 7-8 years
3. 8-9 mil. per

Aaaand I can also picture after 4-5 years ... we regret giving him that contract :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad