Friedman: Jeff Skinner on the Market?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Justin Faulk - 3rd pairing D. He "regressed" last year? #2 in the entire league (tied with Shea Weber and Erik Karlsson) with 17 Goals from a defenseman is "regressing"? Give your head a shake. He's closer to 1st pairing than 3rd.

Over the past 4 years of Faulk's accused "regressing" he is #7 in the entire league in goals from Defensemen with 56 goals. Players sandwiching him in the rankings (with no omissions) are Weber (58), Byfuglien (58), Giordano (57), Faulk (56), Josi (55), Ekblad (53), and Hedman (53). "3rd pairing" indeed.

If you don't want to pay the price that is fine. No need to spew nonsense in trying to devalue a guy you clearly never watch, seemingly hate, but also apparently want on your team.
You also have to take a look at the defensive side it has gotten worse each year.

This year he has 8 goals, 31 points, -31
Sorry that is not worth the 10th pick.
I would move a pick in the 20s for him
Yes, he could have a better year this year you should hope he does
But at this point this is what he is.
The last three years he is a -66
You value him more than I do that is all and that is fine.
Not saying I would not take him on my team just not willing to pay what you are asking.
Don’t worry I am sure Chia will over pay if he trades for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is something I would look at from EDM but what would EDM have to add. Then we have to move a few contracts. Didn’t the owner stated CAR needs to get tougher.
10th, Kaissian, 2019 2nd
Faulk and Skinner
RNH, McD
Skinner, LD

Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Faulk(hopefully Klefbom can cover his d-game)
Russel, Benning
Sekera or Russel would have to be moved for cap reasons, would rather move Russel

I'm fairly confident Skinner at the trade deadline could get a mid-late 1st and a prospect by himself.

Kassian sucks. He said the team needs to get "tougher to play against", not "fill up with big guys who can't play". He talked about how Aho was tough to play against so IMO, he's not talking about guys like Kassian. Guys who play hard, compete hard and are good at hockey. Sure, size would help also. An example is a guy like Josh Anderson for instance.

I understand why the Oilers wouldn't want to give up much for Skinner as a UFA right now, but I can't see the Canes trading Skinner and Faulk without getting good roster players back.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
You also have to take a look at the defensive side it has gotten worse each year.

Not saying I would not take him on my team just not willing to pay what you are asking.

The problem with slamming Faulk because of his plus/minus is that Carolina's goaltending has been garbage for a long, long time. How much better would his numbers look (on a shot suppressing team) with even league average goaltending?

Reactions: Unsustainable

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
What would Carolina want in return for Skinner from Columbus?

Would something around Milano (who may need a change of scenery but will fit right in to a top-6 role in CAR) + Dubinsky (salary cap purposes, but CAR is known to be looking for character guys) + a draft pick work?

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
This is something I would look at from EDM but what would EDM have to add. Then we have to move a few contracts. Didn’t the owner stated CAR needs to get tougher.
10th, Kaissian, 2019 2nd
Faulk and Skinner
RNH, McD
Skinner, LD

Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Faulk(hopefully Klefbom can cover his d-game)
Russel, Benning
Sekera or Russel would have to be moved for cap reasons, would rather move Russel

I like Skinner+Rask for RNH+Kassian.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

You are basing your assessment of defensive ability entirely on +/-? Ever considered watching a game?

GPGG/GPAPtsPts/GP+/-
Player A318700.221091790.56-77
Player B297560.19981540.52-85
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Would you say these two 26 year old defenders have similar stats? Wanna take a guess at who they are?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
While not the absolute numbers, the fact that his plus/minus is always one of the worst on the team is indicative of 2 things:

1) He's on the ice a lot in all situations on a BAD, low scoring team, so when the team has a bad goal differential, he's going to be a big part of it. When the team is pushing to score a goal when behind, they put Faulk out there because of his shot/scoring ability, but often they get scored on because they are taking chances.
2) His defensive acumen ISN'T great. Well, maybe "inconsistent" is a better way to phrase it. He'll look like Drew Doughty for a game or two, then make some boneheaded mistakes the next game, usually which end up in the back of the net.

Sure, poor goaltending plays a part in it, but only a part as the inconsistencies in his defensive game are real.

The tight gap in the neutral zone that Peters had them playing doesn't suit Faulk as much as it does the other Canes D. Faulk has decent straight line skating ability, but his lateral movement isn't on par with guys like Slavin, Hanifin and not even Fleury, TVR or Pesce. He's not a "bad" skater laterally, just not at the same level as those other guys which hurts when playing a tight gap.

His goal scoring will rebound as this was just an off year, but we know what he is defensively.

member 88115

Muzzin + Toffoli for Faulk + Skinner
Faulk and Skinner combine for a -53, yuck. LA needs creative young wingers. Muzzin and Toffoli (to me) are available, but not for a downgrade or lateral move.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Skinner and conditional pick (4th if re-signed, 2nd if not) to Dallas for Faksa and 2018 1st round pick.

The Canes need to commit to Svechnikov and Necas. As much talent as Skinner has, he doesn't fit with either of those players nor Aho/TT. So the organization needs to think how to give the rookies the best chance for success. I like Necas and Svechnikov together. A player like Faksa (if Edmonton is willing to straight swap RNH that would be better, but this is another proposal) could be used as LW to provide much needed defensive support with nice size. His skating is good enough not to be a hindrance to Necas. He would be great on first PK unit with Staal, which will be needed since Nordstrom will be 13th F at best next season.

Zykov/Aho/TT (their 10-games together produced great underlying offensive numbers)
Faska/Necas/Svechnikov

Yes they are young, but playing together gives both Necas and Svechnikov the best chance. While I understand the appeal of Svech with Aho/TT, the Canes don't currently have the other scorers to play with Necas. Plus two scoring lines will eventually develop, might as well start now. The 1st rounder could be used to obtain Williams replacement as he is around for 2 more years at best.

Dallas of course needs someone to score goals outside their big 3. Skinner gets as many shots as any 2 other players currently on their roster.

Dallas can't afford to give up Faksa for wing help becasue if we move Faksa and Spezza doesnt bounce back we have one of the worst center cores in the league.

Also in your hypothetical, if you did acquire Faksa and used him as a LW you are pretty much just wasting potential talent. The kids single handedly clogs up the center of the ice defensively and using him anywhere but at C is just not an effective use of his abilities

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Faulk and Skinner combine for a -53, yuck. LA needs creative young wingers. Muzzin and Toffoli (to me) are available, but not for a downgrade or lateral move.

I don’t think Skinner and Faulk are downgrades. Kings need help on the right side and Faulk would be that second pairing guy the Kings have missed since the Voynov debacle. Losing Muzzin hurts of course, but I think it would be worth it.

Forbort - Doughty
Martinez - Faulk
Phaneuf - LaDue/Folin/Brickley

Toffoli for Skinner would be a lateral move for both sides, but each guy could benefit greatly from a change of scenery.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What would Carolina want in return for Skinner from Columbus?

Would something around Milano (who may need a change of scenery but will fit right in to a top-6 role in CAR) + Dubinsky (salary cap purposes, but CAR is known to be looking for character guys) + a draft pick work?

No interest in Dubinsky in a deal like this. I'd be stunned if any team were to take on Dubinsky without significant retention or sending back a similar multi-year salary dump.

Last edited:

member 88115

I don’t think Skinner and Faulk are downgrades. Kings need help on the right side and Faulk would be that second pairing guy the Kings have missed since the Voynov debacle. Losing Muzzin hurts of course, but I think it would be worth it.

Forbort - Doughty
Martinez - Faulk
Phaneuf - LaDue/Folin/Brickley

Toffoli for Skinner would be a lateral move for both sides, but each guy could benefit greatly from a change of scenery.
I'm not really high on Faulk. That is where i see the downgrade, defensively and Muzzin was great offensively this past season. Martinez has improved and taken over the second pairing spot & was great paired with Phaneuf. + i feel Voynov will be resigned and put on the second pairing.

Skinner is not the type forwards LA needs. We have plenty of shooters/go to the net type forwards. We need more of a Granlund or Bailey type winger who can spread the ice with puck distribution. The downgrade is more $$$ (Skinner make 1 mil more) and Skinner is signed for only one 1 season (Toffoli has two).

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm not really high on Faulk. That is where i see the downgrade, defensively and Muzzin was great offensively this past season. Martinez has improved and taken over the second pairing spot & was great paired with Phaneuf. + i feel Voynov will be resigned and put on the second pairing.

Skinner is not the type forwards LA needs. We have plenty of shooters/go to the net type forwards. We need more of a Granlund or Bailey type winger who can spread the ice with puck distribution. The downgrade is more $$$ (Skinner make 1 mil more) and Skinner is signed for only one 1 season (Toffoli has two).

We do? Who shoots on the Kings? Carter and maybe Toffoli? Brown parks his ass in front of the net, Carter shoots, and no one else drives hard to the net.

Skinner’s contract length is an issue, I agree with you there. But I’m not sure Faulk is a downgrade on Muzzin. Faulk didn’t have a great year, but look at Phaneuf after he came over to the Kings. Kings make defensive players look great.

member 88115

We do? Who shoots on the Kings? Carter and maybe Toffoli? Brown parks his ass in front of the net, Carter shoots, and no one else drives hard to the net.

Skinner’s contract length is an issue, I agree with you there. But I’m not sure Faulk is a downgrade on Muzzin. Faulk didn’t have a great year, but look at Phaneuf after he came over to the Kings. Kings make defensive players look great.
Shooter from Kopi, Toffoli, and Carter. Even Brown, Lewis and Kempe were decent on their respective lines. All our players drive hard to the net, from Brown, Pearson, Lewis, Clifford, Kopitar, Thompson and even Carter can plant himself in front of the goalie. Our best creative winger is Iafallo, which is pretty pathetic. They put on the 1st line because we have no better him on wings to make thinks happen. Our Centers (like Kopi and Carter) cant do it alone and we make it easier for other teams to defend. When need to make Vegas and Shark play more defense with more puck distribution. Not just going to the net and or shooting from low percentage angles.

Phaneuf can play great D, he just needs a puck mover like Martinez to get out of the zone. He had a role to play similar to Regher and was great at it. And that put Muzzin on the 3rd pairing with Foilin (before the injuries)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Yeah I’d be all over Skinner to Dallas, but not for Faksa and 13. That’s a ton for a one year deal.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I'd be interested in him on the sabres. We need more speed and skill. Where does he slot? What would you want position wise in return?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Is older and more injury prone

Injury prone? He has had 1 injury in like the last 5 years and it was a freak accident where he was cut by a blade. Carter is a gym freak and probably the most fit of anybody in the NHL even at his age.

You want to talk about injury prone...let's look at Jeff Skinner. The kid is like 1 concussion away from not remembering his name.

Don't get me wrong Skinner is a good player but Carter has out scored him every year even at an older age. And Skinner only has 1 year left looking for a raise. With him already at 500,000 more than Carter makes now. No thank you. Would have to add to Skinner to get Carter even at their age.

Now if you like to talk about that #2 pick, I'd be more than willing to find a deal between the two teams. (Not saying Carter for #2, completely new deal).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Injury prone? He has had 1 injury in like the last 5 years and it was a freak accident where he was cut by a blade. Carter is a gym freak and probably the most fit of anybody in the NHL even at his age.

You want to talk about injury prone...let's look at Jeff Skinner.

Ok, sure, let's look at Jeff Skinner. Since Jeff Skinner entered the league in 2010:

Games Played from 2010 to today: Skinner 579/622 possible (93%) ; Carter 523/622 (84%)
Last 5 seasons GP: Skinner 391/410 possible (95%); Carter 340/410 (83%)

Skinner has missed a grand total of 3 games in his last 3 seasons. Skinner had 1 season where he missed 16 games due to a concussion and 1 season where he missed 11 due to a wrist injury. He's never even been in double digits for games missed in any other of his 8 NHL seasons. The "Skinner is injury prone" narrative won't die, even when it's been proven false over and over again.

The kid is like 1 concussion away from not remembering his name.

Ah, the old 1 hit/concussion away line. Love when people break that one. He's been "1 hit away" for the last 7 years.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Some Avs fans have mentioned they would like Skinner.

Soderberg and 1st round pick in 2018 for Skinner and conditional 2nd in 2019 (4th if Skinner re-signs with Avs).

Gives Canes veteran on Necas' wing and a solid PK option. The 16th pick should still have value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad