Friedman: Jeff Skinner on the Market?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't see much more then a pick in the 15 to 25 range depending on team want(and the higher that pick more likely the team will want a small cap dump)

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I've wanted Skinner on the Avs for a while, when he was having some of those injury concerns I wanted the Avs to pick him up as I thought his value was low at that time. Think he and Landeskog would pair well together, just need a half way decent C between them.

Reactions: milehigh11

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't see much more then a pick in the 15 to 25 range depending on team want(and the higher that pick more likely the team will want a small cap dump)

I don't think it would be a picks for player deal, more like a player for player type deal (or as part of a deal).

FookinPuck

Nov 16, 2017
I think it's becoming more apparent Skinner will not be with the Canes after next year. Although the biggest issue seemed to be him and Bill Peters did not click, I still don't think he resigns here. It would suck to see him go but you have to get some value out of him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
On Skinner, he struggled this year, but he still averages 29 goals / 82 games for his entire career, has three 30+ goal seasons, and his "bad" season is still 24G, 49P on a low scoring team while playing with piss poor linemates and having very little production on the PP. Contrary to popular belief, he also rarely misses much time. He's played 77, 82, 79, and 82 games his last 4 seasons and over his career he's played in 93% of possible games. Since he's come into the league in 10/11, he's 20th in the NHL in goals scored, ahead of guys like Hall, Giroux, Bergeron, JVR, Wheeler, Duchene, E. Kane, etc... and he's 11th in the NHL in Even Strength goals scored over that timeframe, ahead of guys like Crosby, Benn, Malkin, Toews, Neal, Pavelski, etc.. (some of those have less games played). He's an elite goal scorer who will give 25-35 goals every season, and if he can get on a good PP, maybe even more. On the right team and used in the right way, I'm convinced he can be a 40G scorer.

The negative is that he's poor defensively so often needs to be sheltered, tends to not use his team-mates effectively, his contract is up in 1 year and he has a NMC.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What does Carolina need?

Not saying Skinner is worth all of these, or that the Canes would trade Skinner for some of these, but what the Canes need is:

1C
Goalie
Scoring forwards (preferably physical)
Veteran defenseman

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Not saying Skinner is worth all of these, or that the Canes would trade Skinner for some of these, but what the Canes need is:

1C
Goalie
Scoring forwards (preferably physical)
Veteran defenseman
I mean if that we have vet defensemen. Martinez or Muzzin for Skinner is about the only thing I could see.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Something around Tanner Pearson for skinner

I am with CIC--there would need to be an add. If Skinner is re-signed and then gets traded it would need to be major, say 1st round pick. If he is not re-signed, then Pearson and a "moderate" add.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Problem I see is that Toffoli is signed longer and is younger.

Skinner is actually younger by a couple of weeks.

Toffoli is signed for longer, I give you that, but the difference is just 1 year.

It's a bit risky for L.A. in that sense, but for a team that struggled to score in the postseason, giving Skinner, the superior offensive talent, might be worth the shot.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Skinner is actually younger by a couple of weeks.

Toffoli is signed for longer, I give you that, but the difference is just 1 year.

It's a bit risky for L.A. in that sense, but for a team that struggled to score in the postseason, giving Skinner, the superior offensive talent, might be worth the shot.
Again how do you resign Skinner and Doughty? Skinner is probably going to want a raise right?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
tough to see a fit with the Kings and Canes. Their strengths (minus G on the Canes) and weakness (Scoring) are similar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad