Jeff Reese return?

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
1) Do you think Flyers would look at bringing him back, now that the reason he melted down (Berube) is no longer there?
2) Do you think Mason will be ok performance wise in the longrun, even without Reese?

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
If I were Jeff Reese I wouldn't want to come back. His opinion was undermined and in the end management sided with a coach who was about to get canned over him.

I think Mason will be just fine, he really hit his stride over the past couple of seasons and I can't really imagine him regressing at this point. He always appears very calm and in control. He should be feeling pretty confident about his abilities.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There was never anything more than speculation that the reason was Berube. It could be a family or personal issue that has nothing to do with the team.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
If I were Jeff Reese I wouldn't want to come back. His opinion was undermined and in the end management sided with a coach who was about to get canned over him.

I think Mason will be just fine, he really hit his stride over the past couple of seasons and I can't really imagine him regressing at this point. He always appears very calm and in control. He should be feeling pretty confident about his abilities.

In fairness, we really don't know what happened. All we have are assumptions and hearsay. Odds are only 50% of what we heard was accurate or true. I do believe there is a chance he comes back if it was related to Berube. Happens all the time in other companies. We also don't know if management sided with anyone. It could have been simple frustration and a spontaneous reaction.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if we get a whole new slew of coaches...except for Gord Murphy who really has no reason to get fired. Top 5 in Powerplay points every season.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
How can anyone be a fan of Joe Mullen when the #2 PP was so awful? If people are going to give him credit about how great the #1 PP is they really need to also consider how awful the #2 PP is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Was it Mullen's idea to have Umberger on it until he got hurt and not Raffl, or Berube's? The overall success rate of the PP is still great.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How can anyone be a fan of Joe Mullen when the #2 PP was so awful? If people are going to give him credit about how great the #1 PP is they really need to also consider how awful the #2 PP is.

Because I look at the personnel on it & it's not hard to figure out why they're that bad. We had multiple guys this year who should never see a PP playing on it this year.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I view the success of the #1 PP based on Giroux and Voracek and not Mullen's decisions.

If you look at the personnel on the #2 PP and it is bad then why wouldn't you question his decisions? Who do you think put the players on it if he is in charge of it?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
:shakehead

Who said anything about having an elite #2 PP? There is a large difference between rolling out the awful #2 PP the flyers had this year and putting out the best combination you can for the #2 PP. After a while Joe Mullen and Berube should realize that trying to force a square peg in a round hole isn't a very good idea.

I don't expect the #2 PP to be nearly as productive as the #1 PP but I don't just see how some of you guys can look at the #2 PP and be content about how awful it was.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
maybe elite was the wrong word. Just saying not many teams have 2 very effective PP units anymore. Its not even this year. I bet the teams that have scored the most PPG have scored them with mostly the top unit.
I bet Appleyard can dig this info up. He has info on everything else. :laugh:

Anyway my point stands. no matter how good the Flyers PP is the fanbase has always *****ed about it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Don't get me wrong I think the #1 PP did a fantastic job and there isn't anything to really improve there besides Schenn? I just think there is room for improvement on the #2 PP through the different use of players or putting players in different spots. I don't think any power play coach would want to come in and change anything about the top unit or at least I hope not.

There was just so many times I watched the #2 unit do absolutely nothing on it and thought there isn't any way to improve this? I mean how long did it take for Laughton to get a shot at it? Why hasn't Raffl been put on it and etc.?

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013

If given an ultimatum, the head coach always gets the benefit of the doubt over a lesser coach, such as the goalie coach. It would look horrible to potential head coaches that management fired a head coach because of a goalie coach, it's idiotic. Hextall did the right thing and I'm sure Hextall will ask the new head coach to talk to Reese about a return and they'll discuss what occurred between him and Berube to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
maybe we can also convince Gus. to return from europe now that cementhead is gone...

Why are people so stuck on getting Gus back? The flyers as is have enough defensemen at this point. Also if the flyers kept Gus there was probably a good chance they would not have signed MDZ.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
When they trade Meszaros I was excited to think that Gus was going to get a shot to prove himself for the rest of that season, which he deserved. Then they traded for MacDonald who was instantly slotted in the spot next to Luke. Wouldn't have been so bad if aquiring MacDonald was actually to replace Grossmann which would have really helped our mobility and puck moving on the back end.

Timonen-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
Gus-Schenn

Would have been good going into the season. Let's say they still sign Shultz as the 7th and MDZ to replace Timonen when they find out about his illness.

MacDonald-Streit
MDZ-Coburn
Gus-Schenn
Schultz

Is a much more mobile defense and could have really helped the offense. We could have still traded Coburn as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad