Jeff Petry

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Pretty similar to Ryan Whitney or Duncan Keith. His ceiling is probably a #1b type of defenseman. Most likely will be a #3-4.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty similar to Ryan Whitney or Duncan Keith. His ceiling is probably a #1b type of defenseman. Most likely will be a #3-4.

Pretty lofty comparables that would lead many not in-the-know with the Oilers to use the head shake/eye roll emoticon. However, many Oiler fans were, in fact, likening his play to that of Whit's.

For what it's worth, in his first season, he did remarkably well on a squad that had no stability and was pretty much sucking all year long.

If I recall, he'd had two stints with the Oil last year - was brought up late in fall, was sent back down a few months later, and was brought back up again for the final stretch. The first stint saw him often play with Smid, but he was moved around to play with several others on pairings from 3/4 to 5/6. He more than held his own.

Solid 1st pass, showed confidence in his puck moving, rarely seemed rattled when chasing back for the puck and being pressured behind his net, nice shot, and all in all a good "presence" while on the ice that led Oilers fans to be pleasantly surprised - it's pretty common to hold your breath while rookies have the puck.

Bottom line: he impressed and will most surely have a spot in the lineup this year. That, on its own, doesn't tell the whole story, because the Oilers defensive corps right now is pretty thin. But no doubt he'll be given a full shot to develop to his max.

Andrew B

Oct 13, 2008
St. Albert
I think when the guy threw out the name Duncan Keith it was as a style comparison as opposed to saying he will get 70 points, win a Norris, a stanley cup and a gold medal.

Bicepus McMaximus

Sep 14, 2009

I think when the guy threw out the name Duncan Keith it was as a style comparison as opposed to saying he will get 70 points, win a Norris, a stanley cup and a gold medal.

Ryan Whitney and Duncan Keith play totally different games. You can't compare him to both.

Petry is very different from Duncan Keith. Not may guys are similar to Keith, IMO.

Petry is a faster Ryan Whitney, with not as good of a pass (although he can hold his own - Whit's passing is just that awesome).

Once he gets stronger and gets more confidence, I expect him to be a solid #3 on a good team.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
There's a lot to like about him, he has good size, is a smooth skater, has a hard shot he needs to use more and good breakout pass. He also is surprisingly physical and can throw the odd open ice check.

He still needs to work on minimizing his giveaways, but I can see him being a solid #3 guy.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I really like Petry. He does almost everything well, even dishing out a surprisingly bit hit every so often. I also like the Whitney comparisons. Both are very smooth and calm, and both base their games around gap control on defense and strong outlet passing on offense.

Petry is going to be a good defender, potentially even a very good one. He's a legitimate blue chipper.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He IS Tom Gilbert - maybe a bit more physical, but their age-related stat comparisons are frekin' uncanny. I don't know why people never make this comparison considering they are on the same team:

Gilbert:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=64499

Petry:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94006

This is a pretty accurate comparison, except I think Petry will be a better player for a couple of reasons:

1) He is much more physical as you already mentioned

2) He seems to be more confident in his own end than Gilbert is, which will likely result in fewer turnovers and better play below the hash marks

3) He's got a better shot

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He IS Tom Gilbert - maybe a bit more physical, but their age-related stat comparisons are frekin' uncanny. I don't know why people never make this comparison considering they are on the same team:

Gilbert:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=64499

Petry:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94006

My initial comp of him was a faster, grittier, and harder shooting Tom Gilbert. IMO he will be a considerably better player than Gilbert when it's all said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad