Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The amount of ice he covers with his skating, reach and size is the best I've seen since the good games of Malakhov.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I thought Petry would be our new Hamrlik, but I honestly think he's better than the Hamrlik who played for us. It's a super luxury to have this guy play on our second pairing.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think he's better than Markov.

I wish there was some more untapped offensive potential in there, but I don't know if it's just his fluid skating strides that give me the false hope that there's more under the hood. Either way, he's such a solid contributor on both ends of the ice and very consistent on top of it. He's a guy that can carry his own pairing, and that's something we've lacked ever since we lost Hamrlik.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I wish there was some more untapped offensive potential in there, but I don't know if it's just his fluid skating strides that give me the false hope that there's more under the hood. Either way, he's such a solid contributor on both ends of the ice and very consistent on top of it. He's a guy that can carry his own pairing, and that's something we've lacked ever since we lost Hamrlik.

He does have untapped potential offensively. All that speed, skating, passing and that pretty good shot tell me that he does. I've liked a lot of the things he's done on the powerplay but the rest of the unit is quite simply poor. Put him on a team like Washington and this is a guy who could reach 45-50 points and I'm sure of that.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Hurts to lose a 2nd pick but this guy is damn good.

But also consider that we gained 2nd rounder (albeit in 2016) for Josh Gorges.

If you allow those 2nds to cancel out, asset wise the trade breaks down as:

Gorges + 5th
for
Petry

Not bad at all if you ask me :nod:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he gained 7 lbs over the Summer. (roster listing)

and he seems faster, speaks highly of his training facility, Barwis Methods in Detroit

Great info, thanks for sharing.

I like how he's started the season but would much rather see more games played before engaging in some of the superlatives in this thread. They ultimately may be justified, however, anyone can have 4 good games and let's face it, victory dulls a lot of warts.

That said, glad we have him.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

Did you forget all the goals Petry scored for us last season?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Most underrated player in the league?

Most underrated player in the league is Tyson Barrie. 53 point defenceman 2/3rds of hockey fans probably can't name who he plays for without having to look it up and definitely wouldn't be able to identify him by number.

Petry was being called a top trade deadline acquisition last season and being in Edmonton, Canadian media was well aware of who he was. The thing is that at 27, he took a while to put it together and being on the Oilers, it's very hard to tell if someone is a good defenceman or not. They are so terrible as a team that he's at a career -67 and might spend his entire career getting back into a positive mark. People knew he was good but wondered if he was simply the best defenceman on the worst defensive team, or if he could be better in a stronger system. Underrated? Sure, but too many knew his situation to be a Tyson Barrie or a Mikkel Boedker.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Most underrated player in the league is Tyson Barrie. 53 point defenceman 2/3rds of hockey fans probably can't name who he plays for without having to look it up and definitely wouldn't be able to identify him by number.

Petry was being called a top trade deadline acquisition last season and being in Edmonton, Canadian media was well aware of who he was. The thing is that at 27, he took a while to put it together and being on the Oilers, it's very hard to tell if someone is a good defenceman or not. They are so terrible as a team that he's at a career -67 and might spend his entire career getting back into a positive mark. People knew he was good but wondered if he was simply the best defenceman on the worst defensive team, or if he could be better in a stronger system. Underrated? Sure, but too many knew his situation to be a Tyson Barrie or a Mikkel Boedker.

I didnt knew a lot about Jeff Petry last year but i heard his name in a lot and the habs were said to be very interesed in him.

I then started to watch him play, and this was way before he was traded to us, it was mind-blowing to me that the oilers were to trade that guys. It was clear and evident that he was a very good defenseman with a lot of tools (Size, awesome skating). He used to make more turnover while in EDM but apart from that it was pretty obvious that he was a clear and definite that he was at least, an elite second pairing DMAN, i insist on Elite Second Pairing.

Jeff Petry on another team than the habs (and maybe 6-8 other teams) is a top pairing DMAN.

He is clearly underrated and i know Barrie is still very young, but at this point, Petry might be worst offensively then Barrie, overall he is a better defenseman.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Great skater, hits like a truck, great defensive and occasionally offensive instincts.

We straight up stole this guy from Edmonton he's a beauty.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Glad to hear he's doing well. He was always incredibly underrated by fans and media here in Edmonton. Management flat out assessed him wrong. They spent more time and money on guys like Ference and Nikitin. Dallas Eakins even healthy scratched him last year for reasons unknown. It sucks that he's not on the team, seeing the state of our defense again, but it will take a while to undo the Lowe/MacT/Eakins damage on this team. One of the best second pairing guys in the league IMO. Glad he's on MTL, Habs are my favorite team out east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->