Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
he is the only guy on this team that would have any trade value (as immediate impact for playoff contender recipient team)

he would plug right in to the lineup of all of them

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's got a NMC. I know everyone think's it's obvious these guys would waive them, but the guy has a wife and 2 kids...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
At this point, with the year he's having, we could get a 1st easily. And other small piece(s).

Definitely. This would be a hockey trade though, because petry is not in a rental situation.

Petry would be a solid addition to alot of 2nd pairings in the league, and when he's good, he can help the 1st pair too.

The thing is, how many buyers are looking for a long term solution on their 2nd pair? If they want to trade him, the draft might be a more of a value situation for the Habs.

Edit: I forgot he has a nmc, that complicates things.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Petry with Mete are our only PMD... Why trade him ?

Because he's 30 and we have no path to a contending window in the next 4, probably 5, years.

I still think he'd be a brilliant fit for Toronto, bumping Zaitsev down to the 2nd pairing and Hainsey down to the 3rd on their right side.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Petry with Mete are our only PMD... Why trade him ?

I agree.

If Petry is on the 2nd pairing, and better D are playing on the top pairing, it's a good sign that our defense is a lot stronger.

Petry has played above his comfort zone and has done well, all things considered.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I wouldn’t be trading him. Been very impressed with his play and especially watching him live, he is so smooth and skates the puck so wel. We don’t have anyone like that.

You can’t trade everyone, you need to still have veterans who can play.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He’s definately underrated by a lot of casual habs fans. I know he’s quite liked here on these boards since he’s basically our only competent PMD.Especially with 79 gone.

He’s the only D on the roster outside of Mete Juulsen that I can watch without cringing.

That said let’s flip him for a first rounder soon :laugh::sarcasm:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He’s definately underrated by a lot of casual habs fans. I know he’s quite liked here on these boards since he’s basically our only competent PMD.Especially with 79 gone.

He’s the only D on the roster outside of Mete Juulsen that I can watch without cringing.

That said let’s flip him for a first rounder soon :laugh::sarcasm:
That's the cruel irony -- our established and most solid players are the ones we should be trading. Petry makes the team better and is coming off his best season. Which is exactly why this is the perfect time to let him go. His value will never be higher.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
That's the cruel irony -- our established and most solid players are the ones we should be trading. Petry makes the team better and is coming off his best season. Which is exactly why this is the perfect time to let him go. His value will never be higher.

Same with Gally, although I honestly would just rather keep him going forward even though I'm not confident his game will age well.

Reactions: lo striver

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He's inconsistent but he's still really underrated, yeah. I remember some mind numbingly bad plays earlier in the season but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to Alzner since Petry's play was really good when he stepped up as our #1.

like LShap said though... his value will never be higher, and honestly, it'd probably be best to trade him to get max return considering our current state.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Same with Gally, although I honestly would just rather keep him going forward even though I'm not confident his game will age well.
Agreed -- keep Gallagher. He's 26, which still leaves 5 or 6 good years even if he doesn't age well. He's one of those rare finds you don't let go, except for a clear overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad