Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
So you would be okay with paying Jeff Petry 5.5 and putting in your top 4 if you are building a team?
If he plays like he does 70% of the time? I would have no problem having him as my number 4.

That's not the question though, I asked you if he would surpass these guys (bottom-pairing defensemen in good teams) and I'm guessing the answer is no. Because Petry's a middle-pairing guy.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
who is the old fart on TV that totally ragged on Petry for his attempt to catch Stone by jumping sides in an attempt to make a clean defensive play on Chuckie's lazy turn over??

that dude was OUT OF LINE

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
who is the old fart on TV that totally ragged on Petry for his attempt to catch Stone by jumping sides in an attempt to make a clean defensive play on Chuckie's lazy turn over??

that dude was OUT OF LINE

This was a weird decision by Petry. I think he could have made a play on Stone right away but decided to avoid Stone to go on the other side...

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
25:00 minutes last night. He's really stepped up in Weber's absence.

Averaging big minutes the last handful of games.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
This was a weird decision by Petry. I think he could have made a play on Stone right away but decided to avoid Stone to go on the other side...

he's lighter than when he came into camp (getting his speed back) and he instinctively jumped sides on Stone to make a clean play.. it was a gamble that he lost

the dude on TV was a complete jerk about it.. this guy:
0dao5fzY_400x400.jpg

what's his deal?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Your join date says Oct 2017 , was that on a different forum than this one? Petry is way too inconsistent to be a top 4 and earning 5.5 per year. He played well last night and lets see how long it lasts.

I've actually been on this board since everyone thought Balej was head and shoulders above Plekanec. I lost my name when the site transferred for some reason.

To the other question, the answer is yes. I'm fine with Petry as a #4 on this team. If you look around the league you will see that many good teams have players on par or worse than Petry as their #4. I don't expect him to be as good as he has been recently, but every teams fanbase has a Petry (or worse) that gets picked on mostly because they are playing a very tough position. Last year it was Emelin...this year we wish he was back here.

I'm fine with both Petry and Alzner. Obviously they will look a lot better if and when we add a young stud to the mix. Even having Jerebek and Schlemko will help solidify the group.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I've actually been on this board since everyone thought Balej was head and shoulders above Plekanec. I lost my name when the site transferred for some reason.

To the other question, the answer is yes. I'm fine with Petry as a #4 on this team. If you look around the league you will see that many good teams have players on par or worse than Petry as their #4. I don't expect him to be as good as he has been recently, but every teams fanbase has a Petry (or worse) that gets picked on mostly because they are playing a very tough position. Last year it was Emelin...this year we wish he was back here.

I'm fine with both Petry and Alzner. Obviously they will look a lot better if and when we add a young stud to the mix. Even having Jerebek and Schlemko will help solidify the group.

I wish we could have kept Emelin, he made mistakes but they were magnified because he was above his skill level, as a 5-6 he would have been ideal. I loved his bone crunching hits, it made forwards from opposing teams play much differently knowing that he was back there. I am kind of old school in the way I would like to see my hockey team built, I like a mix of skill and toughness on the team and obviously I don't mean goons but I like an identity if you will. Emelin was that kind of player, I don't really like losing those guys because not everything about the NHL game is goals and assists.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Jul 6, 2016
Petry seems to play better when Weber is not around. I guess he prefers to have the big minutes and the responsabilities that come with being the #1 d-man.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Petry seems to play better when Weber is not around. I guess he prefers to have the big minutes and the responsabilities that come with being the #1 d-man.
He doesn't at all. Heard through the grape vine he hated his role in Edmonton, doesn't see himself as top pairing guy and prefers second pairing. Buddy of mine took him and a few other oilers hunting on his land.

Take it for what it's worth. Not saying he doesn't play better with more responsibilities.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I hate to say it but Petry is below average defensively

I like what he brings skating wise and puck carrying wise though

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
we criticized him a lot but he is now in the top of the league for goal by defensman
Yeah but as soon as you think consistent Jeff Petry has arrived he will go out there and be the worst d man on the ice for a couple weeks. Granted, that has been harder for him this year with the addition of Karl Alzner and Benn reverting back to form. We shall see what Petry brings next year when it is a fresh start.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah but as soon as you think consistent Jeff Petry has arrived he will go out there and be the worst d man on the ice for a couple weeks. Granted, that has been harder for him this year with the addition of Karl Alzner and Benn reverting back to form. We shall see what Petry brings next year when it is a fresh start.

That never happened honestly...

Petry is a great #3. Seems to me like the people that are hard on him are the ones somehow expecting him to be a top pairing defenseman. That's not what he is.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
That never happened honestly...

Petry is a great #3. Seems to me like the people that are hard on him are the ones somehow expecting him to be a top pairing defenseman. That's not what he is.
I dont expect him to be a top pairing defenseman but it has happened under 2 different coaches in multiple years where he is just awful for stretches. Earlier this year there was an obvious stretch that he was the worst d-man on the ice. Petry was great the year the habs traded for him and started out well the following year and then nothing but peaks and valleys ever since. There are high peaks and low valleys and Petry hits them all.

Reactions: Forum93

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I dont expect him to be a top pairing defenseman but it has happened under 2 different coaches in multiple years where he is just awful for stretches. Earlier this year there was an obvious stretch that he was the worst d-man on the ice. Petry was great the year the habs traded for him and started out well the following year and then nothing but peaks and valleys ever since. There are high peaks and low valleys and Petry hits them all.

I honestly don't see it that way. I find him fairly even, and he has his tougher games every once in a while. Don't know what valleys you're referring to. It's not any more probing than it would be with any other player.

As for his peaks, they often seem to coincide with increased responsibility. He's a great PPQB, but we only get to appreciate him to his full extent in that role when Weber is out of the line-up. Him doing well on the 1st PP wave goes a long way into making him look good in a general sense, hence the appearance of a peak . That's my theory, anyway. I've really liked Petry's game on this team since day 1. He has tougher nights, but so does everyone else.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Trade him while he's hot if a good package is right there.

I'd worry about that PDO-driven +/- this year killing his value, that's probably a big deal for a defenceman. I like Petry a lot but NHL GMs are stupid enough to probably still use +/- these days - their media lackeys do after all.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd worry about that PDO-driven +/- this year killing his value, that's probably a big deal for a defenceman. I like Petry a lot but NHL GMs are stupid enough to probably still use +/- these days - their media lackeys do after all.
He is 5th for goals in dman and is producing a good amount for a garbage team. That should be more captivating than +-

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think the team would be better suited if petry had the number 1 pairing spot,...and weber the 2nd.

nashville was smart enough to do it with you know who, why cant they see it could help weber too

really happy for jeff tho i always knew he could reach this potential when we acquired him, its just too damn bad the season is a write off

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think the team would be better suited if petry had the number 1 pairing spot,...and weber the 2nd.

nashville was smart enough to do it with you know who, why cant they see it could help weber too

really happy for jeff tho i always knew he could reach this potential when we acquired him, its just too damn bad the season is a write off

I'm not quite sure what this means? Does it mean that Montreal's better off with Petry playing more than Weber? Or that he should face tougher competition?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm not quite sure what this means? Does it mean that Montreal's better off with Petry playing more than Weber? Or that he should face tougher competition?

Im gonna have to go with yes. and i think Weber would greatly benefit in a SLIGHTLY lesser role

but.. theyll prolly play weber as #1 til hes 37, i mean you just know its going to happen, thanks marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad