Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
EwsfXvTXAAQx44C

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Jeff Petry leads defensemen in points and is +15.

He's been a stud all year.
He's been a stud for most of the year. But he's had rough patches. And when things are rough for him, they're rough for us. We rely on him so much.

Early on I'd have said he was a Norris contender, but he dropped off. For the first half he was clearly our most valuable player. Valuable enough that I think it warranted Hart consideration. But Toffoli has caught up. I'm not sure who's our MVP between those two now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Petry is having a stellar season. MacT dumb for letting him walk. What's the general thinking on his upcoming contract? 6M? 7M?

MacT had no choice but to trade him. Petry told the Oil he wasn't going to re-sign.

It's the other 29 GMs around the league at the time that were dumb for not offering more than the 2nd rounder MB was able to snag him for.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's been a stud for most of the year. But he's had rough patches. And when things are rough for him, they're rough for us. We rely on him so much.

Early on I'd have said he was a Norris contender, but he dropped off. For the first half he was clearly our most valuable player. Valuable enough that I think it warranted Hart consideration. But Toffoli has caught up. I'm not sure who's our MVP between those two now.
Toffoli has kept the Habs in this race the last month or so...

But Petry for me is clearly the teams MVP. They're an average team at best when he's not on his game.

Reactions: azcanuck

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Toffoli has kept the Habs in this race the last month or so...

But Petry for me is clearly the teams MVP. They're an average team at best when he's not on his game.
I have zero problem with anyone giving it to Petry. We'd be nowhere without him. If he didn't struggle in April, I'd have argued that he should garner Hart consideration. And in fact it won't surprise me if he doesn't get some votes this year.

Reactions: 417

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
MacT had no choice but to trade him. Petry told the Oil he wasn't going to re-sign.

It's the other 29 GMs around the league at the time that were dumb for not offering more than the 2nd rounder MB was able to snag him for.

It got to that point cause MacT was dumb and offered the show me contract instead of just giving Petry a long term contract.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Petry impacts the game much more when he's on but Toffoli has been far more consistent.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Petry had some cache. At one point, he was considered the top prospect for the oilers, but I don't think anyone could have envisioned him to become what he has.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Petry gained his powers back now that Weber is injured. Man needs to know he’s the 1-D before he turns it on

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Petry had some cache. At one point, he was considered the top prospect for the oilers, but I don't think anyone could have envisioned him to become what he has.

He's a fairly rare breed and I think his career speaks to how difficult it is to project D men over the long term. 8 defensemen were taken in the 1st round that year, and aside from Erik Johnson, the other 7 have played a combined 214 games.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Petry gained his powers back now that Weber is injured. Man needs to know he’s the 1-D before he turns it on
Petry and Kulak have this weird sense of confidence where if they are given big responsibilities they will rise to the occasion. But the moment they go into a more secondary role they are like a different player.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
As Jeff Petry goes...so do the Habs.
It’s hard to believe that so many here were clamouring to trade Petry for years. Imagine where the team would be if he had been traded. Bergevin’s decision to retain Petry is proof that even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Reactions: Walrus26 and 417

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
He's a fairly rare breed and I think his career speaks to how difficult it is to project D men over the long term. 8 defensemen were taken in the 1st round that year, and aside from Erik Johnson, the other 7 have played a combined 214 games.
Wow that's one hell of a stat, good find.

As good as find as Petry for a 2nd.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley

wow.. did not know that

Edmonton threw him right in the fire and he made it

I used to watch Corey Perry give Petie FITS

now he's helping him.. big time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad