Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Coming up on restricted free agency and due a long-term deal in the neighborhood of $5 million per to keep him off the 2019 open market, Miller might have been traded anyway. There had been too many lapses, too many of the same mistakes and too little evidence of personal growth for the Rangers to feel secure in investing that kind of contract, with or without Alain Vigneault, a master of tough love, behind the bench.

“I don’t think it’s a secret that A.V. and I were not a great fit,” said Miller, who could never completely escape the doghouse despite the package of size, speed and physicality he embodies. “I’d say there are better fits for both of us.”

Jeff Gorton knew at the deadline that Vigneault might not be back next season. Yet that didn’t stop him from listening on Miller, for whom, we’re told, the Blueshirts received several legit offers. The Lightning had been interested in him since 2014, when his name came up during the talks that led to the Ryan Callahan-Marty St. Louis exchange.

When the Lightning joined the McDonagh Derby, the Rangers homed in on Libor Hajek, the 20-year-old defenseman whom Tampa Bay had selected 37th overall in 2016. General manager Steve Yzerman refused to part with him until Miller became part of an expanded conversation in which Vladislav Namestnikov was then added to the mix.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/the-rangers-other-trade-chip-found-hockey-heaven/

The Rangers didn't want to pay Miller. Once you give him a long-term contract for $5M plus,Miller is yours. Pottery barn theory. You broke it. You own it. They didn't trust him.

Reactions: Jeff Groten

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Regarding the past trade deadline and all the shit Gorton took let’s take a look

Nash. Invisible in the playoffs so far and missed a month injured
Grabner. Three points and a healthy scratch in the playoffs
Miller. Very good end of the season and now invisible in the
Playoffs
McDonough. Solid defensively. Eats a lot of minutes. No offense

All of this for 4 high picks and three current nhl players (two of whom we could keep or flip for assets). Three prospects who look like they could be part of our core. Plus close to 20 million saved against the cap

ANYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS SHOULD SHUT UP. THE MAN SHOULD HAVE A STATUE BUILT OUTSIDE OF MSG IN HIS HONOR BEFORE HE’S COMPLAINED ABOUT

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ANYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS SHOULD SHUT UP. THE MAN SHOULD HAVE A STATUE BUILT OUTSIDE OF MSG IN HIS HONOR BEFORE HE’S COMPLAINED ABOUT
People are entitled to have their viewpoints regarding him. However, let's hold off on the statue building until we see what happens at the draft and what he does in the offseason to grow the asset base.

Reactions: Ori

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I'm a big fan of JG and everything he's done up to this point but people could have other valid opinions, telling people to shut up about a differing opinion is dumb

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
JT Miller was lighting it up in the playoffs
Obvious dream is obvious

giphy.gif

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
People are entitled to have their viewpoints regarding him. However, let's hold off on the statue building until we see what happens at the draft and what he does in the offseason to grow the asset base.
probably missphrased but the guy wasn't saying Gorton should have a statue, I think he was saying the only players anyone should complain about losing are statue-worthy players

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
"...the Rangers homed in on Libor Hajek, the 20-year-old defenseman whom Tampa Bay had selected 37th overall in 2016. General manager Steve Yzerman refused to part with him until Miller became part of an expanded conversation in which Vladislav Namestnikov was then added to the mix."

Didn't think it was possible to be even angrier about this trade. Clearly I was wrong.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

The deadline deal looks a lot better for us Rangers and Gorton when the playoffs started as predicted, lol. :)
But I`m still not too certain about Zucc even though we could need assets, but it would not be a trade move to improve this team short term at least who will be hard to replace. But if he wants a new challenge or go to a contending team - I don`t even know hence why Gorton should talk with him about the future.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
"...the Rangers homed in on Libor Hajek, the 20-year-old defenseman whom Tampa Bay had selected 37th overall in 2016. General manager Steve Yzerman refused to part with him until Miller became part of an expanded conversation in which Vladislav Namestnikov was then added to the mix."

Didn't think it was possible to be even angrier about this trade. Clearly I was wrong.

Part of me is relieved that Gorton didn't put Miller in just to get Vlad, thinking he was Miller's equal.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The deadline deal looks a lot better for us Rangers and Gorton when the playoffs started as predicted, lol. :)
But I`m still not too certain about Zucc even though we could need assets, but it would not be a trade move to improve this team short term at least who will be hard to replace. But if he wants a new challenge or go to a contending team - I don`t even know hence why Gorton should talk with him about the future.
can't trade Zucc, he's a heart and soul guy we need him for both his production and for team chemistry

Reactions: Ori

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Have you ever seen Hajek play? Just curious

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Offensively, yes. Overall? I think they are equal. Namestnikov is a more complete player. We needed a 2-way player after trading away Grabner and Nash.

Namestnikov will be cheaper to sign and he's more capable as a center if needed. Again, it's been stated many times that the Rangers did not want to commit long-term to keep Miller. Did the Rangers "lose" this exchange purely from hockey stance in isolation? Maybe, but then it is primitive to look at anything in isolation, and as stated above the McD trade with TBL might not have happened altogether, and then what? The same folks would be screaming bloody murder if Gorton got what likely would've been a lesser return from TML or another suitor.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
can't trade Zucc, he's a heart and soul guy we need him for both his production and for team chemistry

I’ll take things that were said about Ryan Callahan in 2014 for 1000 Alex.

Let me ask all of the pro zucc people this: what are you willing to pay him on his next deal and are you prepared to pay that knowing that his best hockey is behind him?

Reactions: jas

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Regarding the past trade deadline and all the **** Gorton took let’s take a look

Nash. Invisible in the playoffs so far and missed a month injured
Grabner. Three points and a healthy scratch in the playoffs
Miller. Very good end of the season and now invisible in the
Playoffs
McDonough. Solid defensively. Eats a lot of minutes. No offense

All of this for 4 high picks and three current nhl players (two of whom we could keep or flip for assets). Three prospects who look like they could be part of our core. Plus close to 20 million saved against the cap

I am a huge Gorts fan but to say his grade at this point is incomplete is a HUGE understatement. HUGE.

If we pick 11OA and miss and then package our other late 1st(s) to move up and miss again and we ice largely the same team next year as this past one what will your assessment be then? If we bring in Kovy on a 4-5 year term? If we end up with a 10 plus year rebuild?

The truth is there's a lot that can go one way or the other and until we have some answers I'm not building him anything.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Admittedly just highlights. But literally everything I’ve read about him says his ceiling is a middle pairing stay at home D. Not a bad player by any means, but not something you give into an ultimatum for.

Funny, because I often read that he’s got a 1st pair ceiling but projects as a 2nd pairing guy.

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad