Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
RE Gorton saying he wants toughness and grit: Pretty confident he doesn't mean McLeod/Glass/Beleskey/etc. and he means more like Andersson/Lindgren/etc. Again, goes into the "character" aspect he's looking for in players along with skill and speed. Also means more about the complacency on the team like when Cody Eakin nailed Lundqvist behind the net.

LMAO Adam Herman got instantly ******** about that quote at face value and was comparing Gorton to Dundon and Bergevin.

Pretty sure he'll draft a safe all-around guy at #8. Maybe a boom/bust with one of the late firsts.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Pretty sure he'll draft a safe all-around guy at #8. Maybe a boom/bust with one of the late firsts.

Since they drafted Andersson last season and also seem to have hit on Chytil I feel like they might be more comfortable swinging for the fences this season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Bergevin means it though.

He legitimately thinks his goaltender who was one of the worst in the league this year is the be-all-end-all and that Carey Price would have won them the Cup if they just had more character.

Because Bergevin is one of the most deluded GM's in the league.

Not even sure how this guy has a job, he is quickyl reaching Chia levels

Reactions: Machinehead

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Because Bergevin is one of the most deluded GM's in the league.

Not even sure how this guy has a job, he is quickyl reaching Chia levels
He's every bit as bad as Chia, he just had less top assets to squander. He managed to move Subban and Sergachev both for bad returns.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The more JG says, the more I like him.
Me too. It legitimately warmed my heart when he openly said he wasn't going to consider Messier for coach on the radio yesterday. No beating around it, no maybe - just he's done a lot for the organization but no we're not going to consider candidates with no head coaching experience. Beautiful.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Me too. It legitimately warmed my heart when he openly said he wasn't going to consider Messier for coach on the radio yesterday. No beating around it, no maybe - just he's done a lot for the organization but no we're not going to consider candidates with no head coaching experience. Beautiful.
Um? Hello? 2010 Spengler Cup anyone?

Reactions: Irishguy42

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Tkachuk isn’t my first choice but if they choose him at 8, so be it.

So how high would Chytil go? Tkachuk is only 11 days younger, had 31 points in 40 college games. Chytil had the same 31 points in 46 AHL games. How much better is the AHL than NCAA? Look at the ECHL rosters: a large majority of the ECHL regulars were NCAA or Juniors first liners by the time they left college. Probably 70-75% of NCAA players couldn't keep up in the ECHL right now and most won't be able to even in their prime. The AHL is massively better than the NCAA. Chytil's 31 points are much more impressive than Tkachuk's. Similar size. Same age. Chytil would go at least as high as Tkachuk, probably higher.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So how high would Chytil go? Tkachuk is only 11 days younger, had 31 points in 40 college games. Chytil had the same 31 points in 46 AHL games. How much better is the AHL than NCAA? Look at the ECHL rosters: a large majority of the ECHL regulars were NCAA or Juniors first liners by the time they left college. Probably 70-75% of NCAA players couldn't keep up in the ECHL right now and most won't be able to even in their prime. The AHL is massively better than the NCAA. Chytil's 31 points are much more impressive than Tkachuk's. Similar size. Same age. Chytil would go at least as high as Tkachuk, probably higher.

But muh North American toffness.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah the lack of identity is not part of a winning formula.

Just BPA for now. Nobody knows who will succeed and who'll fail. We could have Chytil turn into a 1C, Lias and Howden into 2C and Mika borderline 1/2C. Monstrous pivot position. Or Chytil can find himself unable to translate his skills to the NHL, Lias and Howden become meh 3C/4C, Mika suffers more injuries and regresses, and that leaves us with horrific center ice. The same at every other position. Once the future is clearer (aka, we know who reached his ceiling, who is a bust and who's midway between a bust and a ceiling), then we can make whatever trades/signings are needed to create a fitting identity. For now, we are at the very start of the rebuilding effort and our 2 best prospects (Shesterkin and Chytil) legitimately could wind up anywhere between a permanent All-Star and a minor leaguer.

Reactions: haveandare

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Since they drafted Andersson last season and also seem to have hit on Chytil I feel like they might be more comfortable swinging for the fences this season.

This.

If there was ever a time that a team was set up to take some swings, this is it. Not only our two firsts from last year, but Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren and Howden are all solid prospects with a little less "boom" than a lot of guys we could grab this year.

Reactions: Pizza

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Here's another Gorts quote that I liked:

"we will see what happens. When you say rebuild you are usually talking about a young team and letting players play and giving them chances. We will have a lot of that but it's difficult to have twenty 18, 19, 20 year old players also. We will look at everything, the market and see what players are available and term and money and some character and leadership type players that might help us develop these young guys.

He's keeping all his options open. You definitely come away from this with the sense that they would prefer to "turn this around quicker".

So adding young assets, but not just through draft picks. Trades. FA. Swapping picks up or down. It's all on the table.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The point is that actually identifying and addressing a rebuild is one of the most important parts of the process.
It makes no point to keep Henrik`s contract or the older core who play the game to participate and want to compete for the cup while doing and announcing a rebuild. And when Henrik go out with a statement next season it should be all about winning and Jeff agree.

But my point is that Gorton say one thing very politcally, and do things differently while moving key defenders including J.T to Tampa and what he really wants is to rebuild the old core - and you can`t do both while compete for a cup in this league, especially not if you`re aiming for elite talents and build your team in the draft.

All GMs in this league are doing bad deals, but I like when a person is honest about their new direction. So Jeff need to be crystal clear what the goal is for the next season concerning playoffs for instant is that goal even realistic? If not that is the ultimate goal for Jeff - move players like Henrik, Zucc, Nam, Skjei who care to win a cup in their career.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
"When you say rebuild you are usually talking about a young team and letting players play and giving them chances. We will have a lot of that but it's difficult to have twenty 18, 19, 20 year old players also."

They had two skaters of those ages play this past season, Chytil and Andersson.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It makes no point to keep Henrik`s contract or the older core who play the game to participate and want to compete for the cup while doing and announcing a rebuild.
You can't move Hank, full no trade clause + high salary and sunset of career

And where you have you been?? Gorton has been trying to move that older core out for a long time now

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m aware of that @GordonGecko - it do not necessary help this team to compete for the cup short term, but are they are going to rebuild in the draft or not?
We have 1 8th pick in 2018 draft is that enough to be satisfied concerning the whole rebuild topic? I really doubt it and it looks more like a retool for me.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The returns weren't bad, they just haven't worked out.

Nahhhhhh

Anyone who paid attention knew that Weber was going to have more and more trouble with his mobility and inability to move the puck effectively in his own end. We know he has a bomb of a shot and is productive offensively, we know he's tough along the boards, but we also all knew his limitations, the fact that he's 4 years older than PK, and that he has a ridiculously long and dumb contract that guarantees a big cap hit until he's almost 40 unless they get a compliance buyout.

It was a "dump PK" trade, not a "let's acquire this awesome player" trade. It was a better return than B prospects and picks perhaps, but there were plenty of warning signs that it wasn't going to work out favorably player for player for Montreal.

The dumb thing about trading Sergachev for whatshisname is that they really wanted a talented center but Drouin really hasn't been much of a center to this point. I don't totally blame them for that trade and Drouin could still pan out to be a real impact player for them, but their motivations were a little off IMO. Plus it continued to decimate a defense that lacked any mobility or creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad