Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They had one for the first two years under AV, and then it slowly started fading as the roster began declining and players got shipped out. This year was a lifeless sack. Having a hands-off coaching approach in the locker room didn't help the issue.

Yeah the lack of identity is not part of a winning formula. Gorts talked about speed and character. Think those will be the building blocks. Had a chance to go over the interviews.

What's interesting was that he complimented 7 prospects:

Lias
Chytil
Pionk
Georgiv
Hajek
Howden
Lindgren

Was meh on

O'Gara
Gilmour

Not much on Ada other than he's back skating.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here's another Gorts quote that I liked:

"we will see what happens. When you say rebuild you are usually talking about a young team and letting players play and giving them chances. We will have a lot of that but it's difficult to have twenty 18, 19, 20 year old players also. We will look at everything, the market and see what players are available and term and money and some character and leadership type players that might help us develop these young guys.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Ekblad as well, I heard that he would join Jagr during his midnight skates. When I saw Jagr (2x) skating late when he was with the Panthers, he was alone. Later on in the season the other young guys joined him.

That's what the Rangers need, and hopefully Kovalchuk is that type of influence. Maybe they bring a recently retired player that can help.

Ekblad is an interesting one, concussions seemed to set him back a bit, but I haven't followed FLA much. Do you think he's going to be that dominant top defenseman? What's holding him back?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
That's what the Rangers need, and hopefully Kovalchuk is that type of influence. Maybe they bring a recently retired player that can help.

Ekblad is an interesting one, concussions seemed to set him back a bit, but I haven't followed FLA much. Do you think he's going to be that dominant top defenseman? What's holding him back?

I am firmly in the camp that the concussion from the World Cup wrecked the entire 2016-2017 season for him. Prior to that I really thought he would be the next great defenseman of the league. Now I am not too sure. I haven't watched him much this season, so I wouldn't be the person to answer that question. I don't really opine on things unless I see them. Hence, I am not prominent in prospect discussions as I do not get to watch JR's or AHL games and this year not many games period.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Yeah the lack of identity is not part of a winning formula. Gorts talked about speed and character. Think those will be the building blocks. Had a chance to go over the interviews.

What's interesting was that he complimented 7 prospects:

Lias
Chytil
Pionk
Georgiv
Hajek
Howden
Lindgren

Was meh on

O'Gara
Gilmour

Not much on Ada other than he's back skating.
That's not too surprising as guys like Lias, Chytil, Hajek, Pionk, Howden, and Lindgren have a good chance to be regular NHLers while O'Gara and Gilmour may be out of the league as soon as next year

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Gorton-Brooks exchange was funny when he asked him if he wanted to apply for the coaching job.

Lots of dopey fans on that Livestream. People calling for Messier to coach. Bring back Jagr. Should have never traded our players at the deadline, etc.

If it was up to those fans, Tanner Glass would be back as well. Complete morons who are looking at the player's name, not what they do on the ice. Bring back Jagr, but Kovalchuk is too old LOL

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If it was up to those fans, Tanner Glass would be back as well. Complete morons who are looking at the player's name, not what they do on the ice. Bring back Jagr, but Kovalchuk is too old LOL

He is 35 in some weeks and not played NHL hockey since 2012-13 season. I just don`t understand fans who is married to Ilya at this stage - the whole topic is based on a click bait rumor from twitter from a person who enjoy writing about hockey. Larry B. also said we should do this and that concerning Ilya, but there are 30 other NHL teams who can sign this player who and will try to get his signature. So I`m just saying don`t get too excited too early even he is a free asset IF he ends up here though in New York.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueshirt Special

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most of the bumper-sticker quotes are rubbish. All coaches and GM's say the same things. Character, speed, skill, work-ethic, etc.

The proof will be in their decision making. And I'd say his decision the other day on AV was a good one, but these these types of quotes mean nothing because they all use them. And unless we are going to say 31 NHL coaches and GM's are good at their job, thats not sufficient reason to praise them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He is 35 in some weeks and not played NHL hockey since 2012-13 season. I just don`t understand fans who is married to Ilya at this stage - the whole topic is based on a click bait rumor from twitter from a person who enjoy writing about hockey. Larry B. also said we should do this and that concerning Ilya, but there are 30 other NHL teams who can sign this player who and will try to get his signature. So I`m just saying don`t get too excited too early even he is a free asset IF he ends up here though in New York.
Well, McKenzie was out there yesterday saying he believes that there's probably something between the team and player. Also, I don't know that I'd accuse Igor Erenko of being a "click-bait" poster. Have you checked his Twitter feed? He posts lots of things, most about much lesser player. But he's the NHL Russia correspondent for NHL.com and pretty reliable. I'm not saying he's the gold standard in rumor reporting, but it's not like he's Ricky Otazu or Incarcerated Bob or any of those clowns. He's legit.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Whereas Gorton straight up said the team isn’t very good

Bergevin is insultingly incompetent.

Gorton never said that. The Rangers traded most of their core players for assets, Montreal didnt.

A GM will never admit the players he has aren't good enough.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Gorton never said that. The Rangers traded most of their core players for assets, Montreal didnt.

A GM will never admit the players he has aren't good enough.
"I don't think we were a very good team, I think that Henrik covered a lot and I just didn't see where it was going or that we were a high level team that could compete with some of the better teams in the league. Could we have made it? Maybe but at the end of the day, it would have been tough for us to get 97 points the way we were playing."

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
My take away from yesterday is that JG was disappointed in several players who he thought did not reflect the pride of the organization in the last week of the season. A sit-down with each of these players was coming.

Just my take but I think Gorton's gonna make it plain that if they don't want to be here they should say so. If he comes away from those sit-downs with a lack of confidence in those players.... they are out the door.

I think this is shaping to be possibly the single most interesting offseason in Rangers history. This is JG's rebuild to manage. I don't see him taking half measures. Not your grand dad's rebuild.

I am confident that some of the moves that will be made will rock this fan base hard and drive some us nuts.

Strap yourselves in Kiddos.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Most of the bumper-sticker quotes are rubbish. All coaches and GM's say the same things. Character, speed, skill, work-ethic, etc.

The proof will be in their decision making. And I'd say his decision the other day on AV was a good one, but these these types of quotes mean nothing because they all use them. And unless we are going to say 31 NHL coaches and GM's are good at their job, thats not sufficient reason to praise them.

Bergevin means it though.

He legitimately thinks his goaltender who was one of the worst in the league this year is the be-all-end-all and that Carey Price would have won them the Cup if they just had more character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->