Value of: Jeff Carter

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If you want to find out what the true value of a player is (according to the fans) go to the team page (and especially the GDT). Regarding Carter, the disconnect between this thread and what the fans say about him on the team page is remarkable.

GDT are literally the worst place to gauge players values. 1.5 months ago and we had posters running Draisaitl and RNH out of town, and upset that Yamamoto was getting called up. Now that’s our 1st line. People are too fickle and fair weather to discuss value in GDT where many posters full bipolar nature is on full display

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If you want to find out what the true value of a player is (according to the fans) go to the team page (and especially the GDT). Regarding Carter, the disconnect between this thread and what the fans say about him on the team page is remarkable.

Has there never been a case in the history of hockey where a player playing meaningless hockey looked bad, then when moved to a competing team playing meaningful hockey looked great?

Wasn’t there some guy who was traded to Columbus after signing a long term deal in Philadelphia that was accused of doing exactly that? Then, when moved to a Stanley Cup contending team, gave it everything he had?

A lot of people forget that when Carter was traded to LA, he played wing for most of the cup run, too. His scoring went down once he shifted to center in Sutter’s (and then, last season, Desjardin’s nightmare of a) system.

I’m not saying he’s worth a first round pick or a quality prospect. But let’s not pretend like no team would benefit from Carter at 50%, and let’s also not pretend like Carter wouldn’t benefit hugely from a new team.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He’s not as fast as he once was, but north-south, he’s definitely one of the faster guys on the Kings.

As long as he's still around/slightly above average NHL speed he should be fine with the Avs. I think there is definitely potential for a trade however the 2 extra years are a bit less than ideal.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
As long as he's still around/slightly above average NHL speed he should be fine with the Avs. I think there is definitely potential for a trade however the 2 extra years are a bit less than ideal.

At 50% retention, and assuming you play him next season, the cost of an absolute worst-case scenario buyout in his final year would be miniscule. Even then, Carter is responsible defensively. Using him as a third- or fourth-line center or winger, if the wheels COMPLETELY fell off in his final year, wouldn’t be that bad either. That Jost + 3rd for Carter at 50% proposal probably gets it done for LA.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
At 50% retention, and assuming you play him next season, the cost of an absolute worst-case scenario buyout in his final year would be miniscule. Even then, Carter is responsible defensively. Using him as a third- or fourth-line center or winger, if the wheels COMPLETELY fell off in his final year, wouldn’t be that bad either. That Jost + 3rd for Carter at 50% proposal probably gets it done for LA.

I honestly think that’s really a win win.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Pass,Kings dont need Jost and hell no if were retending 50% and getting a third.Kings dont need to trade Carter,he is still signed and a great veteran for the kids coming up.Out look according to GM Blake is Kings are not looking to contend for 2 more years.He got time.

Last edited:
Reactions: YP44

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Pass,Kings dont need Jost and hell no if were retending 50% and getting a third.Kings dont need to trade Carter,he is still signed and a great veteran for the kids coming up.Out look according to GM Blake is Kings are not looking to contend for 2 more years.He got time.

Retaining 2.5 million for the next two years isn't worth a former first round pick? He's 21. He's not a bust. To this point in their careers, he and Kempe are scoring around the same pace, and Kempe is two years older than Jost. He may not live up the the expectations of a 10th overall pick, but Vilardi might not either. The odds of Jost helping the team win a cup would certainly be higher than Carter at this point.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes remarkable there is a difference in opinion between fans. Never seen before. :)

I do agree you only find the critic ones on the team pages, rarely here.

Jeff netted his 17th goal last night night.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
With six games left before the trade deadline, there's a very real chance he scores 20 before the deadline. He's now tied with Kopitar for the most goals scored on the Kings with 17.

Reactions: apadilla

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Carter had a great defensive game last night too.

I really do not want LA to deal him but understand why they may. I think a Carter deal is best for the summer when teams can add cap.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Carter had a great defensive game last night too.

I really do not want LA to deal him but understand why they may. I think a Carter deal is best for the summer when teams can add cap.

Out of all LA's vets, he is probably best suited to help the transition to the younger players. He's constantly pointing things out to the young forwards and always has those young forwards on his line. Not Kopitar. I would not mind 1 bit if he stuck around, but I do understand moving him too.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Out of all LA's vets, he is probably best suited to help the transition to the younger players. He's constantly pointing things out to the young forwards and always has those young forwards on his line. Not Kopitar. I would not mind 1 bit if he stuck around, but I do understand moving him too.

fully agree. LA has some center prospects that need to come up and if placed on a line with Carter, Carter can shelter them a bit by moving to the wing and helping them out with positioning or even taking faceoffs when not on the prospects strong side.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad