Value of: Jeff Carter

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Kupari durzi Carter for ghost rubstov
bdd.jpg

The Kings aren't trading Kupari and they are trying to get younger.

Reactions: go4hockey

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
agreed so waive him orctrade him for futures. No one will take a risk on Carter, with his caphit, unless he has proven himself to be productive now.
You think a player with 16 goals so far, second highest goalscorer on the team, should be waived ?

What player who doesnt produce, do you constantly talk about. You are sure, you are not mixing up Anson Carter with Jeff ?

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd go for a second and third round pick for Carter at half retention.

I'd also substitute Stecher for either pick, for cap concerns, if that's any more attractive to LA. Otherwise we have to dump Schaller on the Kings, and....well if they're tanking he can definitely help.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't want LA retaining a penny on Carter if dealt right now. Maybe next year but we will see. LA will need some vets in the lineup the next couple years and I think Carter is perfect for it. Move him to the wing and play the kids down the middle.

That is what I want to see. Now obviously the situation LA is in everyone should be avaialable. I just do not see any team fitting Carter's cap hit in while making it worth while for LA to give up on his vet presence.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You think a player with 16 goals so far, second highest goalscorer on the team, should be waived ?

What player who doesnt produce, do you constantly talk about. You are sure, you are not mixing up Anson Carter with Jeff ?

You think an old dog like Carter who has a caphit of 5.3M for an additional 2 years after this season is going to get anything in return? I mean come on dude - he's way past his prime and no longer producing less than 0.5PPG over the past ~2 years.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
You think an old dog like Carter who has a caphit of 5.3M for an additional 2 years after this season is going to get anything in return? I mean come on dude - he's way past his prime and no longer producing less than 0.5PPG over the past ~2 years.

That old guy way passed him prime currently has more goals than Jason Zucker. Yeah that other bum that just returned a 1st, a prospect, and a young middle six forward.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Yeah, Carter's not going anywhere.

The Kings don't have cap problems next year and he makes pennies in real cash. He's got no trade value and there's no point in hamstringing one of our retention shots the next few years... we'll just keep him and give him one of those Rob Scuderi / Fight Club jobs if needed in the AHL

you know the one

"I don't need to come into the office to do this job; I can do this job at home"

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

last year was a recovery year for Carter and he still looked like hell first month or so of this year. You are not off base but it is hard using Carter's last two years to see how he will do going forward.

His 6.4% of the cap is pretty reasonable IMO, but then again I am in favor of keeping him for now

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That old guy way passed him prime currently has more goals than Jason Zucker. Yeah that other bum that just returned a 1st, a prospect, and a young middle six forward.

That other bum isn't ~36 years old and in serious decline. I mean are you that blind to Carter's age, lack of production relative to his past and his bad contract?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
last year was a recovery year for Carter and he still looked like hell first month or so of this year. You are not off base but it is hard using Carter's last two years to see how he will do going forward.

His 6.4% of the cap is pretty reasonable IMO, but then again I am in favor of keeping him for now

His 5.3 M caphit for another 2.5 years is a terrible contract for any team. Take the blinders off.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Weird, according to google Jeff Carter isn't 36. Any other "facts" you have that you pulled out of your ass?

My bad... He's 35 years old. That changes everything sparky!

Facts like 35 years old, less than 0.5 PPG and ~5.3M contract for another 2.5 years = capdump.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
My bad... He's 35 years old. That changes everything sparky!

Facts like 35 years old, less than 0.5 PPG and ~5.3M contract for another 2.5 years = capdump.

That's an opinion hahahaha.

Yeah no way Carter's production raises going to a different team either. Just like that other 40 year old bum that Montreal signed.

Man we sure are screwed having Jeff Carter on this team.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
His 5.3 M caphit for another 2.5 years is a terrible contract for any team. Take the blinders off.

if he still had 4 years than yes, but 2 years left 6.4%, >20 goal pace, plays center and wing. Not bad.

Fits right in with grooming LA's prospects so there is at least one team it is not terrible for.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's an opinion hahahaha.

Yeah no way Carter's production raises going to a different team either. Just like that other 40 year old bum that Montreal signed.

Man we sure are screwed having Jeff Carter on this team.

That 36 year old bum only carries a 700K contract. If Jeff Carter had a 700K contract he actually might be worth something!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
if he still had 4 years than yes, but 2 years left 6.4%, >20 goal pace, plays center and wing. Not bad.

Fits right in with grooming LA's prospects so there is at least one team it is not terrible for.

Yes, he fits in with a team that is in a rebuild and can absorb his cap. He wouldn't fit in with a contender who would want no part of a 5.3M caphit for another 2.5 years and a 35 year old in decline.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'd weigh in on this, but I don't feel like getting banned.....Carter at this point is worth more to the Kings, than anyone else, BUT if a contending team needed depth, Kings could retain 50% and not blink an eye, a low 1st would probably do it, depending on who else is out there for trade up the middle, Pageau is probably the gem, but I guess you could with Backes/Turris over Carter...not a lot of options down the middle

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Wasn't aware that was the point I was getting across. Pretty sure it was increased production going to a different team but hey feel free to ramble.

No GM would bank on increased production if Carter was traded to their team. Just because Kovalchuk increased his doesn't mean Carter would. That's absurd to think its automatic that Carter would return to a near PPG player.

At 35 years old and proof of decline, plus 5.3M caphit and another 2.5 years... No GM would gamble on that terrible bet.

Seriously, you actually think he has value now???? That's crazy dude.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
the point was production not cap hit.

What production are you talking about? See my previous post regarding Kovalchuk. This has everything to do with Carter's contract. The risk is the issue. No GM would take him and give up value as is. That's absurd to think he has any value at 5.3M.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yes, he fits in with a team that is in a rebuild and can absorb his cap. He wouldn't fit in with a contender who would want no part of a 5.3M caphit for another 2.5 years and a 35 year old in decline.

you are exaggerating his decline because of his year last year. He was coming off a sliced tendon. Will he ever get back to point totals before the injury no, but he will not be as bad either.

I like the comparable to Zucker as the production and cap ht is similar. How come a contender can fit in a 5.5M for same production but 5.3M. Especially since the 5.3 is shorter term if things go sideways?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
you are exaggerating his decline because of his year last year. He was coming off a sliced tendon. Will he ever get back to point totals before the injury no, but he will not be as bad either.

I like the comparable to Zucker as the production and cap ht is similar. How come a contender can fit in a 5.5M for same production but 5.3M. Especially since the 5.3 is shorter term if things go sideways?

Because Zucker is producing currently at a 52pt pace and is nearly 8 years younger. There is no comparable between those two players.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Over Carter's past three seasons, he's scoring at a 26 goals per 82 games pace. He's on pace for 23 goals this season. A cap hit of $2.6 million for 2 more years for a guy like Carter still has value to real NHL GMs whether fans like it or not. That's not to say he will be traded, but acting like Carter wouldn't be able to sign a $2.5 million contract if he were a free agent is ridiculous.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes he is past his prime and old but he is a goalscorer first. Always has been.

Of course LA will get anything for him on this pace. You act incredibly stupid, as only one so far. Though I rather keep him and retire as King.

Yeah just waive a +20 goal scorer because Junohockeyfan says he is past in prime... Its always this black/white for you ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad