Jeff Carter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Where was Jeff Carter projected to get drafted prior to the 2003 draft? If I remember correctly he was suppose to go around 20th or so. I think I remember on TSN or another channel saying they were surprised Philly took him at 11th and that was a big risk.

Looking back now after the year he had last year, I'd say Philly was brilliant in taking him 11th overall. Even though he still may never reach his full potential.

So my questions are: Where was he projected to go? And what type of player does he resemble from the NHL? Whats his point ceiling?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Where he was projected to go depends on who you are talking to.

CSS doesn't project where they go but the rankings they gave Carter was very low compared to where he was drafted. I think he was near the bottom of the top 30 North American prospects. If you add the Europeans, to this, that didn't look very good for Carter at the time.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Clarke got bashed on ESPN, said he only took Carter b/c he was a 6'3 center.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I really like Carter, the only other player I would have taken over Carter at #11 might be Zach Parise. IMO he was a good pick at 11 by Philly, I like his game.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
didn't thn have in the 10-15 spot?it's not like the flyers really went out on a limb with him from wat i can remmber. wheeler is pretty much the only one i can think of that was picked far earlier then what he was projected.

Wheeler doesn't compare to where Derek Morrise was picked. Calgary picked Morris in the 1st round of the draft when he was ranked to go in the 3rd round in that draft year, talk about going out on a limb but hey that one payed off for the scouts eh, made them look good.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Carter's style was once compared to Joe Thornton. And although its hard to compare him to a guy who's already scored 101 points in a season there is still similarities.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
Is there someone that follows Sault-Ste-Marie and the OHL that could answer this :

- are the Greyhounds a really bad team or are they only on a bad start?
- is Carter injured? I think he missed yesterday's game (well, the game didn't add up in his ohl website profile). After his 4 points performance, that would be a shame! (how bad?)

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Disco Volante said:
Is there someone that follows Sault-Ste-Marie and the OHL that could answer this :

- are the Greyhounds a really bad team or are they only on a bad start?
- is Carter injured? I think he missed yesterday's game (well, the game didn't add up in his ohl website profile). After his 4 points performance, that would be a shame! (how bad?)
Sault Ste Marie is a not a really good team - they may make the playoffs, but they're projected to finish near the bottom of their division. Carter missed last night's game due to a minor knee problem. I understand that it's not serious, and he's just sitting out a couple of games to rest it.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
One thing to note that Carter was actually the second line centre on his team on his draft year for much of the year. Petr Taticek was the first line centre on Carter's draft year.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
didn't thn have in the 10-15 spot?it's not like the flyers really went out on a limb with him from wat i can remmber. wheeler is pretty much the only one i can think of that was picked far earlier then what he was projected.

Brent Burns was even more of a reach than Wheeler. The only thing is, it was slightly less spectacular because it was later in the first round.

But Burns is without a doubt a bigger surprise in a kickass deep, quality draft. IMHO :)

There are other reaches like that. All you have to do is look the years and once in a while you find things like that.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
Charlie_Girl49 said:
Sault Ste Marie is a not a really good team - they may make the playoffs, but they're projected to finish near the bottom of their division. Carter missed last night's game due to a minor knee problem. I understand that it's not serious, and he's just sitting out a couple of games to rest it.

Thanx miss
:bow:

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
just to clarify, i was only speaking about the 2003 year, not of all time, in picks that were reaches. even though burns was a reach (i honestly don't know much about him), i think wheeler was the main surprise just because they could have done so much with taht pick.

so anyways, as someone else said, carter was ranked #16 by thn, so i don't think pickin him in the #11 spot can be considered a "reach" at all. anyone who picks someone that is ranked in most publications in the spot, or give or take 5-10 positions, is not considered a reach, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad