Jeff Carter`s Trade to the Kings and the 1st Round pick

riseandfall9

Jun 7, 2006
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I didn't see it posted anywhere.......

Does anyone know if its protected this year? Or regardless if its #1 overall its theirs?

Starting to get a tiny bit worried, would like to know :D

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Not protected.

If it's 1st overall, it's the Jackets.

They can keep it, I'll take the Cup.

Why anyone cares about that pick baffles me.

We all know Lombardi's reputation with 1st round picks right ?

Minus Drew/Pearson....It's been terrible.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not protected, which is why I've been grumpy about the Kings struggles. It sucks to watch them struggle, endure the lockout, and not even have a good pick to show for it.

But Damacles is right. Who cares? The cup is worth it, and if the Jackets get the first overall as a result, good for them. Let's just hope they make good use of the rest of the picks.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd trade another first round pick knowing it was 1st overall if it guaranteed another Stanley Cup. It's a price worth paying, so long as your scouts are good enough to find other gems in later rounds (like Detroit has done for many years).

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
Not protected.

If it's 1st overall, it's the Jackets.

They can keep it, I'll take the Cup.

Why anyone cares about that pick baffles me.

We all know Lombardi's reputation with 1st round picks right ?

Minus Drew/Pearson....It's been terrible.

Why people on a HOCKEY'S FUTURE board are interested in a pick baffles you?

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Thought Dreger said the draft really isn't that deep past the first few picks.

From what I've heard, and seen based on viewing some games, it IS a deep draft. Many experts are comparing it to the 2003 draft. A team like CLB could really fast track it's rebuild with a great draft having 3 first rders (LA and NYR picks)
Teams like ANA (Getzlaf,Perry) and Philadelphia (Carter,Richards) really benefitted from that deep draft

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
From what I've heard, and seen based on viewing some games, it IS a deep draft. Many experts are comparing it to the 2003 draft. A team like CLB could really fast track it's rebuild with a great draft having 3 first rders (LA and NYR picks)
Teams like ANA (Getzlaf,Perry) and Philadelphia (Carter,Richards) really benefitted from that deep draft

I like how you left out the Kings who got 3 first round picks in that draft: Brown, Boyle, Tambellini ;)

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
We don't talk about that here.

But the Kings still took advantage of that draft and ended up having 5 picks from that draft as part of the cup winning team in Brown, Richards, Carter, Fraser, and Richardson... Yeah they only drafted Brown but still, I think we can mention it now that they fixed that screwup.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
It's like that every year..

It starts out (Deepest draft ever). Then once the draft gets closer (weak draft after the top Ten picks).

Agreed, and outside of the odd very good draft (1979, 2003) or the odd brutal draft (1996) most drafts turn out the exact same, full of great players and busts alike.

Columbus hopefully will do well with their picks this year. As a long suffering fanbase ourselves, we should understand what they are going through. They deserve a good team for once.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Columbus will still suck, they'll still have the disaster Jack Johnson "playing" defense and we'll still have a championship.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
So we're already convincing ourselves the Kings' 1st round pick is going to be a lottery pick? Ok, sure. We got the best return possible on our 1st rounder: A Stanley Cup. I'm not sure what there is to be worried about...

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
So we're already convincing ourselves the Kings' 1st round pick is going to be a lottery pick? Ok, sure. We got the best return possible on our 1st rounder: A Stanley Cup. I'm not sure what there is to be worried about...

New rules for the new CBA, you win the draft lottery you get the 1st pick meaning any of the 14 teams that miss the playoffs have a shot at number 1. So I guess that now makes any team that doesn't make the playoffs a "lottery pick."

That said, Columbus will still have something happen and won't win the lottery... That franchise just never catches a break.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
I'd trade another first round pick knowing it was 1st overall if it guaranteed another Stanley Cup. It's a price worth paying, so long as your scouts are good enough to find other gems in later rounds (like Detroit has done for many years).

Exactly. Not only do they pick great players, but they have the patience to bring them up at the right time.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Columbus will still suck, they'll still have the disaster Jack Johnson "playing" defense and we'll still have a championship.

I disagree.

People forget that they have Ryan Murray, whom is injured and out for the rest of the season.

Our 1st rounder picks are important. Without it, our core wouldn't be here today.

Most teams are built around their 1st rounder picks. Sure you might get trashy players but regardless they are projected as a 1st rounder for a reason.

If somehow Columbus gets 1st pick and 2nd (from us, I HOPE NOT) they can easily solidify their problems. Seth Jones and MacKinnon

I saw Jones play in the WJC, the guy is pretty legit. Big defenseman who can play D and O. Good TWD.

I saw MacKinnon play in the subway series, the kid has some great skating skills and is not afraid to shoot.

These two will go 1/2 in my opinion.

So yes, the 1st round pick concerns me, regardless of whether or not we won the cup. I want another one and I want this team is succeed and at the same time stay young and competitive. You know what they say, once you win a cup you want another one.

We can't just be giving away our 1st rounder picks like Toronto. Can you imagine what kind of a team they would have been if it wasn't for the Kessel trade? I think Kessel is great but potentially giving up Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel? I know what ya'll are going to say. Burke probably would have picked another player, but from the looks of it Boston is definitely winning in that trade. Boston doesn't have to worry because they will be a playoff contender for another 5-7 years.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I just can't see our 1st being the 2nd overall pick, even if we miss the playoffs. Yes, there's the chance i could be first overall if we miss the playoffs, but the lottery draft is still heavily weighted towards the lower end picks getting it, not a team that barely missed the playoffs.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I just can't see our 1st being the 2nd overall pick, even if we miss the playoffs. Yes, there's the chance i could be first overall if we miss the playoffs, but the lottery draft is still heavily weighted towards the lower end picks getting it, not a team that barely missed the playoffs.

Everyone knows the #1 belongs to the oilers...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad