Jeff Blashill

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Keeping Blashill is just Holland admitting no coach is good enough to drastically improve the ****** roster he assembled. It'll look better on Holland to be able to fire Blashill next season when we miss the playoffs again than to replace Blashill with someone else and have the next guy miss the playoffs too.

That's a good point a coach is in a really difficult position taking on this team if Holland is seriously excerpting it to be a playoff team. Its almost a recipe for failure and hurting your career.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
My biggest issue is Blashill is trying make players play 2 ways. You can't do that on the fly. It's a learned process. It's better to do that in the juniors & minors.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
My biggest issue is Blashill is trying make players play 2 ways. You can't do that on the fly. It's a learned process. It's better to do that in the juniors & minors.

dz0.png

Scotty Bowman made Fedorov play some great defense. Fedorov could of won a Norris as a defenseman if he was willing to stick with it. Probably would of extended his career too. If a player can't learn to play two way then they need to be traded or not resigned. Holland hasn't given Blashill much to work with, but Blashill also hasn't done much with what's he's been provided. One thing we can agree the players need to work on is getting shots on net. So many blocked shots and missed shot attempts. Pathetic for NHL players

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Bowman only made Fedorov play 2 ways.

Blashill is trying to do the entire roster. Mantha, & AA were benched because they were not grasping the concept quickly enough. Again the time to do it is NOT during the regular season and not all at once.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bowman only made Fedorov play 2 ways.

Blashill is trying to do the entire roster. Mantha, & AA were benched because they were not grasping the concept quickly enough. Again the time to do it is NOT during the regular season and not all at once.
I kinda agree. To some extent you need to let the kids play. I really believe they'll learn more by actually being on the ice and making mistakes and getting the chance to get better than by being harshly punished anytime they make an error. This is my biggest issue with Blashill, he refuses to give guys like AA/Mantha/Larkin oppportunites to really play in the situations where they'd learn the most. Late in games, protecting leads, chasing goals, on a powerplay in overtime, penalty kill.. these are the situations where players gain experience and confidence. But in Blashill's eyes they need to be dominant two-way players to get those opportunities. So they're sitting on the sidelines, learning nothing except that they need to improve some abstract aspect of their game in order to get the same opportunities that are handed to Riley Sheahan.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
But in Blashill's eyes they need to be dominant two-way players to get those opportunities. So they're sitting on the sidelines, learning nothing except that they need to improve some abstract aspect of their game in order to get the same opportunities that are handed to Riley Sheahan.

Not that I disagree with you even slightly, but there's something really ironic in a coach demanding better two way play from his players, while drastically overplaying a guy who contributed less than nothing on the offensive end for nearly the entire season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not that I disagree with you even slightly, but there's something really ironic in a coach demanding better two way play from his players, while drastically overplaying a guy who contributed less than nothing on the offensive end for nearly the entire season.
That's Blashill logic for you. Play guys that are good defensively instead of offensively on the powerplay and wonder why your PP is dead last.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Welp unfortunately for all of us, the experiment is not over.

Who cares, Dahlin/Svech2018

Edit: Jeff Blashill is about to win the Worlds then go into Detroit next year and lead the team to the playoffs. He will then get a three year extension to match KH's 4 year.

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Scotty Bowman made Fedorov play some great defense. Fedorov could of won a Norris as a defenseman if he was willing to stick with it. Probably would of extended his career too. If a player can't learn to play two way then they need to be traded or not resigned. Holland hasn't given Blashill much to work with, but Blashill also hasn't done much with what's he's been provided. One thing we can agree the players need to work on is getting shots on net. So many blocked shots and missed shot attempts. Pathetic for NHL players
Fedorov is arguably the most talented player to wear the Red Wings sweater, I don't think that's a fair example.

If Kessel is on the team would you want to trade him because he isn't a great two way player? It's all relative.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Fedorov was a two-way monster before he ever stepped foot in Detroit. You could argue this is something Bowman harped on Datsyuk for as a rookie as he was fairly mediocre defensively when he first came over. Fedorov wasn't just offense when he arrived, he always played a complete game.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Great NHL players must be able to play defense. I would say theirs only a handful of regular NHLers that equal or less than as good defensively as AA. Playing defense doesn't mean look to defend on every shift and shadow your man it's being strong along the boards, being a good outlet and backchecking. All these skills being stressed on the youngsters make them better players overall. You can't be a top six forward in the NHL if you can't do these things moderately well

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
So, what do yall expect of him this season? For me I am tired of his season long experiments that clearly don't work but he sticks with them anyways... Sheahan.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Blash should have been gone after the season ended.
Anyone with a pair of eyes saw the disastrous decisions he kept making,
looking lost and scared behind that bench.

Does anyone really want a coach always playing "not to lose" first?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So, what do yall expect of him this season? For me I am tired of his season long experiments that clearly don't work but he sticks with them anyways... Sheahan.

Fans are so impatient and spoiled. The plan worked. After 80 games, his scoring went up dramatically.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Blashill had a supremely terrible roster that he still lugged to the playoffs the year before. Did he do a bunch of bonehead things? Yes. So did Babcock though. I'd be curious to see what Blashill could do with a more talented roster. This job he took might be long term career suicide.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Blashill had a supremely terrible roster that he still lugged to the playoffs the year before. Did he do a bunch of bonehead things? Yes. So did Babcock though. I'd be curious to see what Blashill could do with a more talented roster. This job he took might be long term career suicide.

Blash didn't do anything.
Bruins did

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Blushill and Holland : Dumb and Dumber . One brings wrong players , another has no idea what to do with this players

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I expect fast hockey, entertaining 1-goal games, mostly during the season, but not collecting enough points. Team will be at the playoff hunt for 50-game mark, but then injuries will catch us and the wheels will drop off. Team will be dead or second last at East. 3rd-4th worst in the league.

Mantha, Athanasiou and Larkin are having promising seasons.

We will sell Green (and Parenteau if he is signed) and Sheahan at the deadline, if Sheahan isn't traded earlier.

We also will in win the draft lottery and get one of TOP2 picks.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fans are so impatient and spoiled. The plan worked. After 80 games, his scoring went up dramatically.

:laugh:

The silver lining is that Blashill wasn't able to conceal just how mediocre the roster is the way Babcock could. Babcock leaving was a plus not because it brought in a new coach who revitalized the team, but one who made it even more apparent how badly this team needs top-end talent.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
When you have medocre team , you could make them play defense first, and used fest , individual scators like Helm ,AA, Larkin to score

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->