Jeff Blashill

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Keeping Blashill is just Holland admitting no coach is good enough to drastically improve the ****** roster he assembled. It'll look better on Holland to be able to fire Blashill next season when we miss the playoffs again than to replace Blashill with someone else and have the next guy miss the playoffs too.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
my money would be on holland keeping blashill, but did you folks honestly expect him to say "yeah we're firing blashill. he's a ****** coach" to the media today

holland speaks like a politician so you have to read between the lines to figure out what he really means. If you notice he said "right now" he thinks blashill should come back. he didn't say that blashill will be back for next season for sure

he also mentioned that they need to improve internally. Now that could mean lots of things but my first thought was the coaching staff

I swear it's like he reads hfboards and intentionally trolls us by saying the exact opposite that we want to hear from him

If they were going to fire him they would have done so already. They would have done it before that press conference to avoid having to lie to the media and fans.

Everything stays the same. That's how we fix this.

We've had new assistants every year for the past 2 or 3 years, at this point keeping the staff the same is a change.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Curious to see how Blash does with a talented team at the World Championships - also curious if he can and will bring his Red Wing assistant coaches with him.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think they are in for at least another season where they don't make the playoffs, regardless of coach. Maybe saying at least two more seasons isn't even sticking my neck out. I do think coaching was a part of their problems last season, at least initially, but unless goaltending improves substantially, unless defense improves, unless they get some real goal scorers, etc, etc, etc, then they are going to be near the bottom again. And maybe keeping Blash and Holland is a sign that they've resigned themselves to trying to draft and develop, for the most part, in order to rebuild. They'd might as well commit to that anyway, since they probably wont be able to get everything they need quickly, and probably will be near the bottom for a while, as a result.

I think they would benefit more by firing Holland, rather than to fire Blash, because it would give them a new prospective to rebuild with.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We've had new assistants every year for the past 2 or 3 years, at this point keeping the staff the same is a change.

The same is change. Cool.

How about how this franchise has been spiraling downward for years and literally the only significant change was Babcock choosing to leave. The same players get locked up to long contracts​, the GM keeps the best job security in all of pro sports, and everything hums along like this is still a winning franchise.

I guess we need another few years before we do anything hasty.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The same is change. Cool.

How about how this franchise has been spiraling downward for years and literally the only significant change was Babcock choosing to leave. The same players get locked up to long contracts​, the GM keeps the best job security in all of pro sports, and everything hums along like this is still a winning franchise.

I guess we need another few years before we do anything hasty.

New Head coach, 2 new assistant coaches, then a new goalie coach and 2 more new assistant coaches.

In that same span we've had roughly 17 new players whether they be promoted from Grand Rapids or signed as free agents.

Technically we have a new owner, new arena, we lost a franchise player and seen the end of a 25 year playoff streak.

I'd say there's been a ton of significant changes.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Lump me in with those that believe Holland is the most important piece that needs to be removed and replaced. Babcock bailed for a reason other than money. He knew the train was going off the rails.

I'm hoping the situation the Wings are officially in now will spur a change in Holland. His plans have so obviously failed. Curious to see how he moves forward with the draft and possibly dropping a bad contract to Vegas.

Blashill isn't going anywhere. If another pitiful season is ahead he will be the scapegoat while Holland retires or changes titles.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
How much more heat would Holland have if he fired blash,brought in a big name coach and had the same results next year or worse? Yea,not surprised blash is coming back for another year.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well Chris I, is not his father! Came out today and said KH is here for as long as he wants!! He will not have a good team untill he is gone.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Do people really still think coaching is the difference between the team we saw this year and a team capable of contending for anything worthwhile?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
If they were going to fire him they would have done so already. They would have done it before that press conference to avoid having to lie to the media and fans.
Dammit you are right. Looks like another year of losing. More sheham on the power play. More benching young players that try and playing washed up players and never was players. Another year of losing.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Do people really still think coaching is the difference between the team we saw this year and a team capable of contending for anything worthwhile?

Without question there is a group of posters around here that feel that way. Blaming Blash for everything allows them to avoid the mental anguish of thinking about just how bad we are, just how ugly things will get and just how long the actual rebuild will take.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Without question there is a group of posters around here that feel that way. Blaming Blash for everything allows them to avoid the mental anguish of thinking about just how bad we are, just how ugly things will get and just how long the actual rebuild will take.

There are posters on a Internet forum with outlandish opinions? Wow, I'm shocked. In all seriousness Blashill is a bad coach with a bad roster, he is not an innocent bystander. This is a coach that was supposed to do wonders with the young players after his Calder Cup and here we are two years later and still waiting. The amount of talent that has regressed under his leadership is astounding.

The entire team looks lost in their own zone, and it's not just because they have one of the worst blue lines in the league. He has a strategy that will not work with the roster, and he is unwilling to change. This last season was miserable and part of that is squarely on Blashill's shoulders.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
New Head coach, 2 new assistant coaches, then a new goalie coach and 2 more new assistant coaches.

In that same span we've had roughly 17 new players whether they be promoted from Grand Rapids or signed as free agents.

Technically we have a new owner, new arena, we lost a franchise player and seen the end of a 25 year playoff streak.

I'd say there's been a ton of significant changes.

Do you seriously believe this? Compared​ the rest of the league the Wings are the most stagnant by a wide margin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not the most ironclad commitment, not that I see anything happening. But I think if Holland believes he can bring in a better coach he might make a change.

The only way Holland actually brings in a savvy veteran coach, though, is if he's committed to building the franchise again and gives said coach a long commitment. You know, how Babcock went to Toronto knowing it was a several year plan back into contention, and that he'd have to endure the first few years of having a subpar squad and grow with the roster given to him.

You can't bring in Sutter to this roster and go, "I'm going to add a cheap veteran defender and now I want to be competitive again. Good luck out there, buddy!" Nobody with options is going to stand in front of that train and take the blame.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Meh, the coach isn't going to fix a bad roster (even Babcock was *barely* getting this crap into the playoffs), but he can certainly ruin/help the prospects on the team who might be here when the rest of the team is good again. Playing AA 12 minutes a night, refusing to play Larkin at C, playing Lashoff over, well, anyone? These are the reasons I want Blash gone. I don't think, for a second, that another coach is going to materially improve this team, but I think another coach would be infinitely better for the development of the kids on this team.

That said, it's irrelevant. It's clear that Blashill will be here for next year, so that Holland has a scapegoat at any point in the season he feels like he needs one.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Everything stays the same. That's how we fix this.

I just wanna enjoy watching the games again and watch atleast 41 games a season, this season i've watched about 10, all on-demand, and they won only 1 of those games... fun times (granted it was better to tank like at the christmas break but still... this was not a fun season)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Blashill is not worse than the roster

The roster is worse than blashill

It's the opposite of the LA or Dallas situation

Fix the roster first

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Blashill staying is not the worst scenario. I'm going to assume that come next October the roster will be virtually the same. With that being said, if the team starts off ******** the bed from the get go, it'll open up Kenny's eyes and show him how maybe some real shaking up is needed, or maybe from an owner perspective, they will see how the team is remaining mediocre-poor like it has been for years now and a bigger shake up will occur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad