Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Jeff Blashill is a dime store Babcock clone.
He tries to emulate his hero in every way possible. Analytics have been changing the sport over the past decade. Most coaches are adapting. Guys like Babcock and Blashill are stuck in their ways. Coaching like it's still 2009.

It's the reason Blashill will never be a successful NHL coach, unless he adapts. It's the reason Babcock can't get more out of a very talented Toronto roster. The game has evolved past their dump and chase, process trusting, work harder than the other guys, strategy. They're still trekking cross country in a conestoga wagon when everyone is flying. Work smarter, not harder.

Wings' Blashill: Hockey analytics of limited use so far

If you’re going to pull stats, pull something that isn’t from the 2016-17 season...shit is three years old. And they have hired people specifically with a stronger foundation in the analytics world like Naurato.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I sitll think there is no such thing as a losing culture you just have losing seasons or you don't

There is such a thing as bad management which keeps failing to build a winning team no matter what the league throws its way. See pre shanahan Toronto for an example.

If people want to say bad management is a losing culture I can agree with that but at the end of the day its still just bad management.
As someone who has played a sport (albeit not hockey) at a higher level than the vast majority of people, I respectfully disagree. People play up to the standards they set for themselves. Not everyone is as mentally strong as each other.

Losing is a disease and poisons many players who’d have developed and played better on another team

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
As someone who has played a sport (albeit not hockey) at a higher level than the vast majority of people, I respectfully disagree. People play up to the standards they set for themselves. Losing is a disease and poisons many players who’d have developed and played better on another team

A new coach isn't going to change that, the team is losing because of a lack of talent, a new coach doesn't add talent.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
If you’re going to pull stats, pull something that isn’t from the 2016-17 season...**** is three years old. And they have hired people specifically with a stronger foundation in the analytics world like Naurato.

Stats?

"Hockey analytics of limited use so far." I used that article just to demonstrate Blashill's stubborness and refusal to adapt to a changing game.

You think Blashill has changed that much in the 2 years since that article was written? How many different assistants have we had running the PP under his tenure and we're still seeing the exact same zone entry as when he started?

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
who is expecting a different outcome? Pretty much everyone expects this team to lose a whole lot of games.

I would expect them to lose less withoutBernier in net. We would still lose enough for a high pick, but man I hate that guy when we have our one good game of three games, and he'll let those straight shots without screen to go in. Just kills all confidence.

More and more undestand why Holland wanted to play meaningful games. When the games are close, they try.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
This team was destined to lose. There's a reason Babcock wanted to leave. It wasn't the "going home" narrative. Holland was digging this organization into a hole. Blashill or no Blashill it's going to take Yzerman time to fix things.

Fans have not been coming because they've been priced out after being on the hook to fund LCA. The Ilitch's are content selling tickets to corporations and the upper crust even if they don't actually attend. Those empty seats you see are sold.

In short Blashill is not the problem. His firing would be purely cosmetic. There's a reason Yzerman kept him on.

Ugh, wrong. Ticket prices are equal if not less than at the Joe. Season tickets might be which they are bc I have them, however it’s back to under 100$ lower bowl and tonight had 9$ options for upper bowl. Don’t be naive and use fans have been priced out argument. Weak sauce in this city.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Ugh, wrong. Ticket prices are equal if not less than at the Joe. Season tickets might be which they are bc I have them, however it’s back to under 100$ lower bowl and tonight had 9$ options for upper bowl. Don’t be naive and use fans have been priced out argument. Weak sauce in this city.
Exactly, I see people giving away free tickets in various Wings sub all the time anyways. The lack of fan turnout at home games has to be killing the Illitchs' bottom line because of the lack of food/alcohol sales.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Exactly, I see people giving away free tickets in various Wings sub all the time anyways. The lack of fan turnout at home games has to be killing the Illitchs' bottom line because of the lack of food/alcohol sales.

And you don’t think that concession prices factor into cost of attendance? Tickets are the easy part, but how many families are going to head down when they are probably sinking $40-$50 minimum a head for children. That’s just to feed them the bare minimum and get their tickets. Then you consider any alcohol for parents that’s severely overpriced, parking, souvenirs, other attractions.

They have absolutely priced out the general public in total cost.

Reactions: decaguard

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And you don’t think that concession prices factor into cost of attendance? Tickets are the easy part, but how many families are going to head down when they are probably sinking $40-$50 minimum a head for children. That’s just to feed them the bare minimum and get their tickets. Then you consider any alcohol for parents that’s severely overpriced, parking, souvenirs, other attractions.

They have absolutely priced out the general public in total cost.

There are worse ways to blow money. But you're right. Fact is, I turn down free tickets 2-3 times a month.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

With the Wings AND Pistons in there, and the way their no-tax deal with Detroit is structured, the LCA is a license to print money, even with shitty crowds.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There are worse ways to blow money. But you're right. Fact is, I turn down free tickets 2-3 times a month.

There absolutely are worse ways. I’ll go down for a night of hockey and drinks with friends because it’s just what people do from my age group. I have the financial freedom to do it, and I enjoy it, but I’m not the target that the Illitch’s should be targeting to fill up the arena.

I’ll go out to a bar and get my drinks before or after. I can get in the door relatively cheap and my wallet is on lock down. They want the families, but most families aren’t looking to drop like $400 to assemble a “complete” trip to a Wings game.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
As opposed to keeping the same losing coach and expecting a different outcome?

I don't expect a different outcome, the team sucks. They'll still lose games, just with a different person making lineups. Scotty Bowman wouldn't make this team better.

I think of Chicago last year, who fired a really good coach in Q, who was .500 after a month, to finish roughly .500 at the end of the year, albeit they have a better team than Detroit. They made their change, but nothing really changed.

St. Louis the Wings aren't. So to that end, I don't understand change for change's sake, unless/or there are roster changes either in the meantime, or along with a coaching change.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
A coaching change can light certain fires under players. A new coach can hold players more accountable. If the Blashill love fest posters can’t acknowledge this, then you clearly are stuck in the rain from last night.

Even if a different coach could get more out of the team, it's still rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. No coach is going to be able to overcome the biggest problem the Wings have: a lack of talent.

Reactions: odin1981

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
I don't expect a different outcome, the team sucks. They'll still lose games, just with a different person making lineups. Scotty Bowman wouldn't make this team better.

I think of Chicago last year, who fired a really good coach in Q, who was .500 after a month, to finish roughly .500 at the end of the year, albeit they have a better team than Detroit. They made their change, but nothing really changed.

St. Louis the Wings aren't. So to that end, I don't understand change for change's sake, unless/or there are roster changes either in the meantime, or along with a coaching change.

I think the biggest difference between Stevie and Kenny is this, if a top tier coach becomes available, like Gallant, Quennville, and Trotz all have in the past couple years, I think Blashill is gone.

I look at what Trotz did throughout his timenin Nashville, and with a pretty pathetic looking Taveres-less Islanders squad last year. What Gallant did with a crap Panthers team and has done with a Vegas squad of cast-offs. I wonder why Kenny didn't pounce at those opportunities. It's obvious these guys are better off short and long term with that type of leadership.

I don't care if Blashill hangs around until the years end. Bylsma showed he couldn't develop young guys in Buffalo and there's no other obvious upgrades out there. But if someone of the above caliber becomes available, I expect Yzerman to pounce, unlike his predecessor.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
the culture argument is insane.
This team has a losing culture now.
The winning culture went away when the winning stopped. Or, at least when the players responsible retired.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
For the players to develop, they need a coach they want to play for. Right now, it seems they don't wanna play for Blashill. At least, it seems that way on the ice. If the players don't want to play for the coach, you have two options. You either replace the coach or the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->