Jeep Cherokee thoughts?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I love my Wrangler and will be getting another one in the next year or two. I hear good things in general about the Cherokee but in the end it's not the Cherokee of old with regards to off-roading and such.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
C9849F5F-AF8A-4CDB-ABA2-54F3F2A21AA4.jpeg
Thanks.

Ultimately after test driving a few models I went with the Trailhawk PL. Loaded.
Picked it up yesterday. Im least technical person on the planet. Boy do I have a lot to learn. LOL!

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Brother is a RAM mechanic at a dealership.. so.. a Chrysler/Fiat whatever tech.

Has consistently said that the only well built vehicles they make are:

-RAM trucks (non Eco Diesel)
-Grand Cherokee
-Durango
-Cherokee

So good choice, as long as you don't expect the Cherokee to be an off road beast like the Wrangler.

The trailhawk is capable and trail rated, but it's a different animal entirely from the traditional "Jeep".

For what it's worth, I would have got the trailhawk model too.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Brother is a RAM mechanic at a dealership.. so.. a Chrysler/Fiat whatever tech.

Has consistently said that the only well built vehicles they make are:

-RAM trucks (non Eco Diesel)
-Grand Cherokee
-Durango
-Cherokee

So good choice, as long as you don't expect the Cherokee to be an off road beast like the Wrangler.

The trailhawk is capable and trail rated, but it's a different animal entirely from the traditional "Jeep".

For what it's worth, I would have got the trailhawk model too.

Thanks!
Only way I go off road is if I am hopelessly lost.
Some dirt roads perhaps in the summer. But nothing adventurous.

My main decision on this over the Overland is that I have a super steep driveway and all 3 kids away at college. I wanted an advantage in snow.
Plus something I could get loaded like the Overland. Which I did.
I only drive 30 miles a day so gas isnt a concern. And I wanted something that looked different in parking lots , etc....

So far, after just a couple of weeks, I love it.
Even on highway. The ride is great and noise less than my old Subaru Legacy.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My dad has one and I racked up 1,000 miles with it around PA a couple weeks ago.

I liked it, though I can't say I've driven anything else comparable since I've only owned shitty city cars. His Cherokee felt like a monster truck compared to my Fiesta :laugh:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I have a ‘17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi and it’s awesome. You made a good choice.
My gf just special ordered a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk from the factory...picked out all the specs...She was able to choose a 6.4 Hemi of some sort that apparently pushes out 567 hp ! She won't get it until the end of June...can't wait to try this out, and try it out off-road too

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How is the transmission? It has an 8 speed auto right? I have been driving manual for ever but it seems the new Jeep Wrangler diesel that is do out later this year only comes with an 8 speed auto which sucks. That being said, the numbers are insane for it, especially the 421 lbs/ft of torque. So I have to decide, get the gas 6 with a manual or the diesel with the auto...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It's ok.....not the greatest....theres a slight lag that you got to get accustomed to.
Your best bet would be to test drive one. It didnt stop me from my purchase but then again it wasn't real high on my must have list either.

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
It's ok.....not the greatest....theres a slight lag that you got to get accustomed to.
Your best bet would be to test drive one. It didnt stop me from my purchase but then again it wasn't real high on my must have list either.
My wife drives ones. I hate the transmission. The lag is definitely noticeable and feels like it could go out anyday. She bought a brand new 2015 when they came out. Would. not. Buy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
My gf just special ordered a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk from the factory...picked out all the specs...She was able to choose a 6.4 Hemi of some sort that apparently pushes out 567 hp ! She won't get it until the end of June...can't wait to try this out, and try it out off-road too

All of that cannot be accurate.

1: The Trailhawk doesn't come with a 6.4. You can get it with the 3.6 or the 5.7.

2. The only trim that comes with the 6.4 is the SRT.

3. The Trackhawk exists, but it comes with a supercharged 6.2.

4. The SRT's 6.4 pushes out 485 HP.

4. The Trackhawk's supercharged 6.2 pushes out 707 HP.

You cannot special order a Trailhawk with a 6.4 or 6.2. Further, the Trackhawk and SRT are both on-road only and are not off road SUVs in the least. Unless you're suggesting she had some performance shop customize a Trailhawk with a modified version of the SRT's 6.4L engine (which would mean heads, cam, and probably exhaust and other supporting mods if no supercharger).

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
All of that cannot be accurate.

1: The Trailhawk doesn't come with a 6.4. You can get it with the 3.6 or the 5.7.

2. The only trim that comes with the 6.4 is the SRT.

3. The Trackhawk exists, but it comes with a supercharged 6.2.

4. The SRT's 6.4 pushes out 485 HP.

4. The Trackhawk's supercharged 6.2 pushes out 707 HP.

You cannot special order a Trailhawk with a 6.4 or 6.2. Further, the Trackhawk and SRT are both on-road only and are not off road SUVs in the least. Unless you're suggesting she had some performance shop customize a Trailhawk with a modified version of the SRT's 6.4L engine (which would mean heads, cam, and probably exhaust and other supporting mods if no supercharger).

that's what she told me...i asked her to double check the paperwork...and she said it was correct...you're not the first person to say this...think I want to see the paperwork myself lol

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
that's what she told me...i asked her to double check the paperwork...and she said it was correct...you're not the first person to say this...think I want to see the paperwork myself lol

She's definitely 100% wrong. I can assure you of that.

Ask her if they are including free headlight fluid in the deal.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
She's definitely 100% wrong. I can assure you of that.

Ask her if they are including free headlight fluid in the deal.
haha...ya....she was going to bring me the paperwork which she has at her work....I'm going to tell her that's she's getting called out and needs to prove it, lol

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
haha...ya....she was going to bring me the paperwork which she has at her work....I'm going to tell her that's she's getting called out and needs to prove it, lol

It's not that there's anything to really prove, though, lol. I owned a 2014 Jeep GC SRT. Sounds like she's just completely mistaken unless she just shelled out $90,000 for a Trackhawk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad