Player Discussion Jean-Gabriel Pageau

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Contract year, plus he knows he will be traded, so good time to get himself in shape for a potential long playoff run and multi year contract that he definitely won't get from Ottawa.

That's one way of looking at it. He's a hometown boy.

I guess that means he will be a force to reckon with on the ice this year.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I thought he was the interim Captain material until Chabot or other is ready. Certainly prefer him to Ryan, Smith or Boro.

Interested to see the A’s this year as well. Chabot should get one from the D corps.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If we didn't have Tkachuk this guy would be the logical choice for captain (assuming he gets re-signed) but as of now he'd be nothing more than a placeholder. Should be interesting to see what DJ does with the letters this season given all the uncertainty.

Future leaders (do they get an A?): Tkachuk and Chabot
Current A's: Pageau (UFA), Boro (UFA+might start sitting) and Smith (seems safe)
Wildcard: Does DJ wanna get any of "his" Leafs (mainly Hainsey) a letter?

I wouldn't mind rolling with different A's at home vs on the road if it means Chabot and Tkachuk get a taste of a leadership role.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that Pageau UFA gets moved by the deadline, I imagine he could get Ottawa another 2nd rd pick at least.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I feel like Pageau is the type of player that would all of the sudden become a 60 point player if he was given the captaincy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Contract year, plus he knows he will be traded, so good time to get himself in shape for a potential long playoff run and multi year contract that he definitely won't get from Ottawa.

Pageau is a good pro. He always trains. Is always in shape. I suspect he was never fully comfortable at any point last season so extra effort this summer is not a surprise

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pageau is a good pro. He always trains. Is always in shape. I suspect he was never fully comfortable at any point last season so extra effort this summer is not a surprise

He was apparently working out like crazy last offseason too. Dude's a real pro and I hope we keep him around. despite him being a UFA at the end of the year.

Reactions: pzeeman and JD1

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I recall Zibanejad having a real tough time initially early on when Turris was hurt and the Senators needed him to step up, and then when Turris initially was shut down, Zibanejad was getting outplayed by Pageau at that point. You are right that Zibanejad eventually did finish hot.

Although, I might entirely be misremembering things. 15-16 feels like ages ago at this point hockey wise. It's funny how quickly things move in that regard.

I don't think you are misremembering. I also recall Zibanejad being disappointing when Turris got hurt, to the point where in a Couturier vs Zibanejad thread at the end of the season I made the comment that Pageau should be in the poll in place of Zibanejad.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Imo pageau never got enough credit. This kid is an absolute stud. Unfortunately I think he’s gone but man he can do it all. If he was played in an offensive role I could see him with 60 pts.

Reactions: Variable26

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think you are misremembering. I also recall Zibanejad being disappointing when Turris got hurt, to the point where in a Couturier vs Zibanejad thread at the end of the season I made the comment that Pageau should be in the poll in place of Zibanejad.

You mean the stretch of 20 games where Zibanejad went near PPG?

Reactions: JungleBeat

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Pageau will always be a special player for me. I love to go back and watch his 4-goal performance against the rangers. Such a hardworking and clutch player, who should be signed and in an ideal world would be a huge player if this team was a contender...

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ryan Hartman got a first rounder, I think we should expect one for Pageau.

What would you guys rather? A 25-32 1st round pick

Or

A 2nd, and (young-ish) roster player? Think Duclair.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If Pageau can put up 40 points next season I don't see why Dorion wouldn't at least try to sign him. He's the type of "future" veterans this team will desperately need.

Side note: looking back at the highlights from our last Cup run, I can't help but feel how good of a team we squandered for no reason whatsoever. Turris, Methot, Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman...we were extremely lucky to have such great players up and down the lineup. Too bad we couldn't capitalize on their chemistry. Instead, the team is now gutted and there needs to be "rebuild" of team identity.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ryan Hartman got a first rounder, I think we should expect one for Pageau.

What would you guys rather? A 25-32 1st round pick

Or

A 2nd, and (young-ish) roster player? Think Duclair.

Part of why Hartman got a 1st was because he was on his ELC.

Pageau might get a 1st as a rental, but it's not a given. Probably a 2nd+ as a rental.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Gotta keep some guys around. Especially fan favorites like pageau.

I'd lock him up for 3 or 4 years if I were in charge.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Pageau might actually need a change of scenery to get the most out of his game.

Unless he has a really good year next yr I wouldn’t expect a first though.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He had 15 points in his last 20 games of that season. That’s pretty good for a then 22 year old centre playing with an anchor in Bobby Ryan. Pageau had the benefit of playing with Stone. Pageau wasn’t better than Mika at any point in their careers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Part of why Hartman got a 1st was because he was on his ELC.

Pageau might get a 1st as a rental, but it's not a given. Probably a 2nd+ as a rental.

I like Pageau. Heart and Soul guy who would be a solid add to any team but I don't see a 1st coming back as a rental either. I am with the keep him and give him the C crowd. Tkachuk can wait.. I don't like putting the C on under 22 kids... its marketing imo. I want a captain that is less youthful exuberance and more experienced leadership.. I think when the sun is shining it doesn't really matter but when things are somewhat unstable, lots of changes, and possibly long losing streaks its better not to put that kind of pressure on a kid and its better to have a mature voice trying to right the ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad