Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
Any insight on this kid? The little that I've read seems to be a mixed bag. I know he's small in stature, but I think I read somewhere that he did more than hold his own against Couturier and others in the play-offs. What are his strengths and weakness, and does he actually have an NHL upside?

Clive Barley

Condra Commander
May 19, 2010
Ottawa
Posted this in another thread a few months ago

I've been following This kids progress this season ever since I went went to a Gat/Drummondville regular season game back in November hoping to get a look at Couturier who ended up being a healthy scratch. 18yr old Jean-Gabriel Pageau who ended up with 2 goals really stood out and Ever since I thought the Sens should consider drafting him with their 2nd, And now that they've acquired 2 more it seems even more plausible.

Now of course I'm no scout- just a guy who watches as much hockey as possible and this is what I noticed from last nights game. First of all Couturier couldn't have been more disappointing. He hardly moves his feet and when he does he doesn't get anywhere quick. For back to back 96pt seasons he didn't seem too impressive in the offensive zone, in fact he looked far more comfortable in the defensive zone- often times acting as a 3rd Dman. A friend of mine at the game who is an Oilers fan compared him to Dustin Penner- A big body who knows how to use it in front of the net, but when the puck's not on his stick he doesn't look like he's doing anything- just kind of floating around(which he definitely did last night).

Now as for Pageau- coming off a 5 point performance in game 4, then 2 more in game 5. He began putting on an offensive showcase in the 3rd period last night. He scored a CANNON of a slapshot on a partial break which ended up being the GWG early in the 3rd. Only to outdo himself he got the insurance marker with under 3 to go by burning a someone around the outside then pulling off a curl and drag and snapping a shot over the goalie's glove about a foot from the crease. It was a remarkable goal. He finished with 3 points in the game but also went 14/22 in the FO dot, most of the time going against Couturier who ended up 5/18.

He finished with 29 pts in 24 games after finishing the season with 79pts in 67 games.

His coach Benoit Groulx compared him to Claude Giroux(whom Groulx also coached)- and after watching his performance last night I can see why. His creativity & quickness with the puck combined with his decision making and faceoff prowess made him stand out head and shoulders over guys like Couturier & reg season scoring leader Phillip-Michael Devos. In my mind this guy is a huge riser for this coming draft and really hope that the sens take a long hard look at him.

Sorry this was so long.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Pageau was listed in the mid-term Central Scouting rankings, but dropped off completely in the final report. From what I saw in the Olympique games I watched, his skill level and determination were admirable. However, his small size really is a problem because he gets knocked off the puck too easily.

Just a guess, but after his performance in the Quebec League Playoffs, I can imagine a team using a late-round pick to take a chance on him. But he has to become stronger on his skates or he'll be pushed around far too much in the NHL.

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
Posted this in another thread a few months ago

I've been following This kids progress this season ever since I went went to a Gat/Drummondville regular season game back in November hoping to get a look at Couturier who ended up being a healthy scratch. 18yr old Jean-Gabriel Pageau who ended up with 2 goals really stood out and Ever since I thought the Sens should consider drafting him with their 2nd, And now that they've acquired 2 more it seems even more plausible.

Now of course I'm no scout- just a guy who watches as much hockey as possible and this is what I noticed from last nights game. First of all Couturier couldn't have been more disappointing. He hardly moves his feet and when he does he doesn't get anywhere quick. For back to back 96pt seasons he didn't seem too impressive in the offensive zone, in fact he looked far more comfortable in the defensive zone- often times acting as a 3rd Dman. A friend of mine at the game who is an Oilers fan compared him to Dustin Penner- A big body who knows how to use it in front of the net, but when the puck's not on his stick he doesn't look like he's doing anything- just kind of floating around(which he definitely did last night).

Now as for Pageau- coming off a 5 point performance in game 4, then 2 more in game 5. He began putting on an offensive showcase in the 3rd period last night. He scored a CANNON of a slapshot on a partial break which ended up being the GWG early in the 3rd. Only to outdo himself he got the insurance marker with under 3 to go by burning a someone around the outside then pulling off a curl and drag and snapping a shot over the goalie's glove about a foot from the crease. It was a remarkable goal. He finished with 3 points in the game but also went 14/22 in the FO dot, most of the time going against Couturier who ended up 5/18.

He finished with 29 pts in 24 games after finishing the season with 79pts in 67 games.

His coach Benoit Groulx compared him to Claude Giroux(whom Groulx also coached)- and after watching his performance last night I can see why. His creativity & quickness with the puck combined with his decision making and faceoff prowess made him stand out head and shoulders over guys like Couturier & reg season scoring leader Phillip-Michael Devos. In my mind this guy is a huge riser for this coming draft and really hope that the sens take a long hard look at him.

Sorry this was so long.

That wasn't too long. I enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing!

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
Pageau was listed in the mid-term Central Scouting rankings, but dropped off completely in the final report. From what I saw in the Olympique games I watched, his skill level and determination were admirable. However, his small size really is a problem because he gets knocked off the puck too easily.

Just a guess, but after his performance in the Quebec League Playoffs, I can imagine a team using a late-round pick to take a chance on him. But he has to become stronger on his skates or he'll be pushed around far too much in the NHL.

I guess only time will tell, but his progression from #rd line to first and his turning it up in the playoffs may be a sign of this kid's determination, which may help him improve or overcome the deficiencies that you mentioned. I thank you for adding to the thread. I enjoyed your feedback. Anyone else care to add?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think he'll get taken in the later rounds, despite the CSS snub, and I hope the Sens use one of their late picks on him. I was really impressed when seeing him live on several occassions this year. He really stood out.

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
I think he'll get taken in the later rounds, despite the CSS snub, and I hope the Sens use one of their late picks on him. I was really impressed when seeing him live on several occassions this year. He really stood out.

I hear ya. Thanks for participating! Although I've read mixed reviews, it seems that his stock has gone up. I've been hearing a lot of good things about him as of late, and I am curious to see what others have heard. There are always small guys that put up #'s, but this kid seems to keep overcoming obstacles and showing growth. He seems to be a very intriguing prospect.

Do you see him as the type of shorty who will overcome his size and be able to play pro? He comes across as a hungry kid.

If there is anyone else in HF land who has seen him play or cares enough to add to this thread, please do, your comments are welcome and appreciated.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
He outplayed Couturier in the playoff. Can't believe the snub by CSS. i guess they were too busy watching the 9 SeaDogs player to notice Pageau...Anyway he's getting pick without a doubt next week. He need to get stronger as he's listed at 5"9 164, he's one my sleeper in the draft. i wouldnt be surprise if he get pick in the 4th round. Good skater and as great hockey sense. His coach Benoit Groulx compared him to Claude Giroux. Hard worker as well.

http://nhldraftvideo.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-prospect-jean-gabriel-pageau.html

RandR

May 15, 2011
He outplayed Couturier in the playoff. Can't believe the snub by CSS. i guess they were too busy watching the 9 SeaDogs player to notice Pageau...Anyway he's getting pick without a doubt next week. He need to get stronger as he's listed at 5"9 164, he's one my sleeper in the draft. i wouldnt be surprise if he get pick in the 4th round. Good skater and as great hockey sense. His coach Benoit Groulx compared him to Claude Giroux. Hard worker as well.

http://nhldraftvideo.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-prospect-jean-gabriel-pageau.html
Of course CSS rankings came out only during the 2nd round of the Q's playoffs, so Pageau's drop in rankings would not have included his playoff play other than possibly the first round.

The comparison with Giroux is flattering, but we expect coaches to pump up the confidence and promote their players. Of course, all it takes is for one NHL team to either see the same qualities or "fall" for this; it wouldn't be the first time that a player was picked because he was compared to an older brother or a previous player playing under the same junior coach.

He definitely had a terrific playoffs and scored some huge (and skilled) goals. And that would have been in front of whatever scouts had showed up to watch Couturier or Saint John.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Gold star for everyone who called this kid a sleeper prior to the 2010 draft. Been really impressed with him throughout the playoffs, he has been terrific on both ends of the ice. I think the Sens got a real steal here.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

hmmm, ever consider a job as a pro scout? :handclap:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Really impressed with the guy, contributing like a vet and hes only what like 20 games into his NHL career? Another one of those guys proving size isn't everything.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Great to see a smaller guy like him thriving in a bottom 6 role, normally these guys tend to be top 6 or bust. 6 NHL goals in 16 NHL games (9 regular + 7 playoffs) compared with 7 in 69 AHL games!

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He plays so fearless. He's created a few goals where he didn't get any points by his intense forecheck. He's like a bulldog out there. Apparently he and Briere are decently close (I know Briere contacted him to congratulate him on his hatty vs the Habs.). He trained a bit with Briere in the offseason IIRC. Great role model and tutor for a guy like Pageau to have.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm so impressed with this kid! Speed, smarts, great 2-way play!

Now...we need to acquire Briere this summer to flank him. Make it happen Murray!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm so impressed with this kid! Speed, smarts, great 2-way play!

Now...we need to acquire Briere this summer to flank him. Make it happen Murray!

Murray won't be able to control his bladder by the time these playoffs are over the way he's fidgeting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->