Prospect Info: Jean Dupuy (2014 via UFA) – '16-17: Rochester #39 (AHL)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well Guys, Can we start to get a little excited about Dupuy?

He's been a beast in the playoffs for the Greyhounds

He's 20 years old and is just barely over half PPG...those aren't beast numbers. Is there some other aspect of his game that is impressing you besides offense?

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
He's not signed cause he's destined for a top six forward slot. He was signed cause he might turn into a bottom six energy and Pen Killing roll defensive type player.

You kind of need those guys too if you want to win.

Size, grit, decent speed. will score the occasional goal here and there.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He's 20 years old and is just barely over half PPG...those aren't beast numbers. Is there some other aspect of his game that is impressing you besides offense?

I asked Kris about him after he tweeted a few good things last week:

Just nice to see we're filling the stable with depth guys as well as high talent guys.

I'd really love to see Rochester start to be a powerhouse next year and that success bubble up to the Sabres.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Gotcha, thanks for the follow up. Would be nice if he turns out to be the player we were all expecting Justin Kea to be.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'd rather ensure we have the high talent guys before getting the 'work hard is the first thing I mention' i.e. he sucks, guys.

Can you name one way that the two even affect each other? It's not I'd rather have one or the other (unless you are edm), but teams can and do have both.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

Coaches voted him 2nd best defensive forward in the OHL for a reason. He plays a game that will translate well to the pros.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, Zadorov, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, McCabe

I think we're doing ok.

These two as our top C's, we're going to score some real beauty goals.

One thing I've noticed in watching Eichel: he loves playing off the half wall. When he has the puck, he likes to drift up and down and wait for a window where he can use that release. Without the puck, he's probing that area to make himself an option or to pick out just the right moment to drive the net once he gets it, or to set a quick screen once it pops out to the slot or blue line.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Amerks' Dupuy Painting A Pretty On-Ice Picture - Kevin Oklobzija - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - Wednesday, December 9.

Type the name Jean Dupuy into Google and the first two items on the findings menu are: Jean Dupuy hockey; Jean Dupuy artist.

Rest assured, they definitely are not the same person. The artist was born in France in 1925 and never hoisted the Stanley Cup. The hockey player, while French Canadian, was born in 1994 and most certainly won't ever claim he can take paint and a brush and turn a canvas into a masterpiece for the Louvre.

Jean Dupuy, a rookie forward playing for the Rochester Americans, says he and art have nothing in common. In a studio or on the ice. His game isn't one of grace and beauty, his November 25 cameo on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 notwithstanding. Instead, he's more about barging into opposing defensemen and plowing his way over defenders. "He's not shy," Amerks coach Randy Cunneyworth said. "He goes through people."

Two months into the American Hockey League season, Dupuy has been the Amerks best rookie. Through 22 games, he has produced 2 goals, 8 assists and 10 points, and he has a team-best plus/minus rating of plus-7.

Considering he was never drafted, the total package is maybe a bit of a surprise. Then again, his adaptation to the pro game has perhaps been easier than it is for some players. Yes, he's playing against men now, not the 16 to 20-year-olds he faced last season with Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League. But the game he's being asked to play is the same. He's centering the third line with a defense-first emphasis. He's hounding the puck, initiates contact and is one of the penalty killing forwards. In other words, he's doing what he has always done. "I've played that role my whole life," he said.

Rest Of The Article - http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-dupuy-painting-pretty--ice-picture/76943880/

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Amerks' Dupuy Painting A Pretty On-Ice Picture - Kevin Oklobzija - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - Wednesday, December 9.

Type the name Jean Dupuy into Google and the first two items on the findings menu are: Jean Dupuy hockey; Jean Dupuy artist.

Rest assured, they definitely are not the same person. The artist was born in France in 1925 and never hoisted the Stanley Cup. The hockey player, while French Canadian, was born in 1994 and most certainly won't ever claim he can take paint and a brush and turn a canvas into a masterpiece for the Louvre.

Jean Dupuy, a rookie forward playing for the Rochester Americans, says he and art have nothing in common. In a studio or on the ice. His game isn't one of grace and beauty, his November 25 cameo on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 notwithstanding. Instead, he's more about barging into opposing defensemen and plowing his way over defenders. "He's not shy," Amerks coach Randy Cunneyworth said. "He goes through people."

Two months into the American Hockey League season, Dupuy has been the Amerks best rookie. Through 22 games, he has produced 2 goals, 8 assists and 10 points, and he has a team-best plus/minus rating of plus-7.

Considering he was never drafted, the total package is maybe a bit of a surprise. Then again, his adaptation to the pro game has perhaps been easier than it is for some players. Yes, he's playing against men now, not the 16 to 20-year-olds he faced last season with Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League. But the game he's being asked to play is the same. He's centering the third line with a defense-first emphasis. He's hounding the puck, initiates contact and is one of the penalty killing forwards. In other words, he's doing what he has always done. "I've played that role my whole life," he said.

Rest Of The Article - http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-dupuy-painting-pretty--ice-picture/76943880/

He's definitely a guy who I had my eye on from the beginning of training camp. The way he played and at the ability he played at surprised me. He's a guy who could be a good piece on the 3rd line with the likes of Girgs or Larsson. That's if he plays to his potential.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bringing this back from the dead to say Dupuy's finally back for the Amerks. Here's him missing with the first wild right, but landed that second one vs Morin:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I watch a ton of amerks games since I live in rochester and usually get free tickets through work and I absolutely love this kid for all the wrong reasons. I don't think he has a skillset that will translate to the nhl but he's a heart and soul gritty guy. He strikes me as a poor man's kaleta.

On ice he's always involved and chirping. I wish he was better defensively or had even 5 goal potential at the nhl level so he could fill in ad a cheap fan favorite 4th liner but that seems like a reach at this point.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I watch a ton of amerks games since I live in rochester and usually get free tickets through work and I absolutely love this kid for all the wrong reasons. I don't think he has a skillset that will translate to the nhl but he's a heart and soul gritty guy. He strikes me as a poor man's kaleta.

On ice he's always involved and chirping. I wish he was better defensively or had even 5 goal potential at the nhl level so he could fill in ad a cheap fan favorite 4th liner but that seems like a reach at this point.

Pretty much this.

It always seems to escape people (as far as expectations go) that by and large, all nhl "character" guys were first line players in the CHL (best evaluations equivalent for Dupuy). If you are not a top end CHL player, you generally will not have the talent to make it even as a 4th liner. The vast majority of NHL 4th liners today are past first liners. I've never once looked at a mature OHL 3rd liner and said "Thats NHL material there".

Yes Dupuy looked like a defensive banger in the OHL, but the best defensive players had so much skill they were not utilized in that role. Thus some of the less skilled players look exactly like an NHL 4th liner, but they almost never make it.

Matt Martin, Chris Neil, Shawn Mattias, Troy Brouwer, Brandon Sutter, all for example, are 4th line energy character guys, and they were all 1st line CHL players.

And there are some that did come from the lower ranks, Marc Methot for example, but they are much fewer and far between.

Its not impossible for Dupuy to make it to the next level, but he needs to show a large and continual improvement on the skill side of the game.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Has anyone watched Dupuy lately? It looks like his stats are slightly up per game but he is sitting at -10 I know +/- is flawed but still it does show some of the story. How has he been used? Does anyone think he still has a shot of replacing Des in a year of two?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad