Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Action movies heroes (or bad guys) in 90s. With some blockbusters in their history. But last 15 years + only B movies.
Is there any hope, that they will make some comeback?
I doubt it. But John Travolta had a comeback, too, so it's not out of the question.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Action movies heroes (or bad guys) in 90s. With some blockbusters in their history. But last 15 years + only B movies.

expendables-cast.jpg

jcvd-exp-2.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

With Lundgran you need to realise he runs a multi-million buck science business away from the entertainment word---he a two master degrees in chemical engineering--So he could be a real life Walter White and may have broken bad--being an actor would be a great cover

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
I hardly doubt it.

Why?
Well, people like action. People like heroes. People like action heroes. But, people also like YOUNG action heroes.
I grow up in 90's,guys like Dolph,Arnold,Sly,JCVD,Jackie Chan were part of my childhood. But,time catches on everyone. Nobody want to see old man. It spoils perfect image. I doubt it even Jason Statham will have any more high grossing movies.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I hardly doubt it.

Why?
Well, people like action. People like heroes. People like action heroes. But, people also like YOUNG action heroes.
I grow up in 90's,guys like Dolph,Arnold,Sly,JCVD,Jackie Chan were part of my childhood. But,time catches on everyone. Nobody want to see old man. It spoils perfect image. I doubt it even Jason Statham will have any more high grossing movies.

But Sly is still on the top. Also Kevin Costner plays action heroes. And old "Mad Max" Mel Gibson too.

I think, it depends on the role, they should play. 60 years old (?!? :eek: ) Lundgren should play some support role. Aka coach in the new Creed II. Something like Tommy Lee Jones.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lundgren was never star simply a support actor who's starring vehicles are mostly forgettable. He has no real prospective of ever being a major draw

Van Damme pissed away his career by being notoriously unpopular and lets be honest he hasn't made much quality with regard to movies in longtime

Van Damme like Steven Seagal (A contemporary from that era) is a poor actor to begin with so his career was never going to reach the heights of a Stallone or Schwarzenegger nor did he ever really come close to producing the quality action films they did

In tier of action stars from that era you would have Arnold/Stallone/Willis/Gibson up on highest level. Next tier would be the Bronson/Van Damme/Seagal/Norris tier and the tier below that you would find guys like Michael Dudikoff , Lorenzo Lamas , Lundgren

The lowest tier is reserved for awful straight to video action stars like David Bradley , Sasha Mitchell and others

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have the movie for you:

MV5BMTk1MDgzNTQ3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk1NjU1NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I think that one of Lundgren's problems is that his big break and his most iconic role came playing a Soviet villain during the Cold War. It may've been hard for westerners to disassociate him from that and accept him as a good guy after that. He got one leading role in a major motion picture and it bombed badly...

220px-Masters_of_the_universe.jpg

That probably killed his chances of being taken seriously as a star.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
But Sly is still on the top. Also Kevin Costner plays action heroes. And old "Mad Max" Mel Gibson too.

I think, it depends on the role, they should play. 60 years old (?!? :eek: ) Lundgren should play some support role. Aka coach in the new Creed II. Something like Tommy Lee Jones.

Not to mention Liam Neeson, who's as popular as he's ever been right now.

I love Dolph and JCVD, but they were never great actors and relied mainly on their physicality back in their respective heydays. Take that away and there's not a lot left to go off of other than charisma, which still isn't on the level of an Arnie or Sly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have the movie for you:

MV5BMTk1MDgzNTQ3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk1NjU1NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I think that one of Lundgren's problems is that his big break and his most iconic role came playing a Soviet villain during the Cold War. It may've been hard for westerners to disassociate him from that and accept him as a good guy after that. He got one leading role in a major motion picture and it bombed badly...

220px-Masters_of_the_universe.jpg

That probably killed his chances of being taken seriously as a star.

That is good point about MOTU

It was that flop along with failures of Red Scorpion and The Punisher that ended his career as a legit leading man since he couldn't carry box office

His career diminished after those flops

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I've never understood the love for Neeson as an action star. I just can't buy him as an action hero. Very good actor but I don't know, I'm just missing something here.

It's because he's a very good actor that he's able to sell all of the ridiculous situations he's put in and make you root for him. His charisma and physicality are a part of it as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad