Jean Beliveau

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Also, to comment on people saying Henri Richard is underrated: 100% agreed.

Henri Richard was arguably the greatest even-strenght player in his prime—better than Jean Béliveau. The thing one must not forget about Henri is that he rarely played on the PP or the PK: he was so good at even-strenght that coaches kept him fresh for 5-on-5 duties, while Béliveau was playing the PP duties, and was a great PP player like Lemieux.

So this is why his stats are not as impressive as they should be for a player of his caliber. Because he didn't play on the PP as often as the other guys.

Béliveau-H.Richard was our 1-2 punch at center for both the 50s and 60s dynasties. Bélvieau was a left-handed shot; Henri a right-handed shot. Both were solid defensive player. Henri was also an elite skater. By far the most accomplished 1-2 center punch in hockey history.

Henri was also EASILY the 2nd most important player on the 1960s dynasty after Béliveau. And he was up there for the 50s dynasty too, though for that one I'd give the MVP to Harvey followed by Béliveau.

Reactions: Fenris

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Also, to comment on people saying Henri Richard is underrated: 100% agreed.

Henri Richard was arguably the greatest even-strenght player in his prime—better than Jean Béliveau. The thing one must not forget about Henri is that he rarely played on the PP or the PK: he was so good at even-strenght that coaches kept him fresh for 5-on-5 duties, while Béliveau was playing the PP duties, and was a great PP player like Lemieux.

So this is why his stats are not as impressive as they should be for a player of his caliber. Because he didn't play on the PP as often as the other guys.

Béliveau-H.Richard was our 1-2 punch at center for both the 50s and 60s dynasties. Bélvieau was a left-handed shot; Henri a right-handed shot. Both were solid defensive player. Henri was also an elite skater. By far the most accomplished 1-2 center punch in hockey history.

Henri was also EASILY the 2nd most important player on the 1960s dynasty after Béliveau. And he was up there for the 50s dynasty too, though for that one I'd give the MVP to Harvey followed by Béliveau.

That Plante disrespect :eek: Jacques Plante is arguably the best Hab ever.

Reactions: Chili

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
That Plante disrespect :eek: Jacques Plante is arguably the best Hab ever.

No disrespect. I'd have Plante about 3rd or 4th as MVP of the 56-60 dynasty. Let's face it, this was easily the greatest team of all-time. To be ranked under Doug Harvey and Jean Béliveau is hardly a disrespect.

When your top 6 is:

Olmstead-Béliveau-Geoffrion
Moore-H.Richard-M.Richard

And you have Harvey and T.Johnson on the defense, Plante in net and Toe Blake as your head coach, not to mention great depth players, well... you have the greatest team of all-time.

The 76-79 team had the Big Three on defense but otherwise it couldn't compete with this one in terms of pure star power.

For my money, the greatest hab ever is Maurice Richard for reasons that go beyond on-ice play. Closely followed by Béliveau and Harvey*. Then Morenz, Lafleur and Plante*. Then Roy*, Dryden and Robinson. Then Henri and Lalonde. Then S.Savard, Vézina, Lapointe, Geoffrion, Moore and Joliat in some order. Then Blake, Laperrière, JC Tremblay, Cournoyer, Mantha, T.Johnson, Durnan, Reardon, Bouchard, Lemaire and Gainey in some order. Maybe I forgot some guys at those levels but that's roughly it—my tiers can be argued but I don't feel like splitting hairs.

*Let's not forget some of Plante's legacy occured out of Montreal in NY, Toronto and St. Louis. This is also true of Harvey and Roy. That's part of why neither would be my greatest hab ever since competition at their level is so tough.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Responding to this a little late.

While I'm not old enough to have seen him play, I'm somewhat of an hockey historian and have watched old tapes.

There's no doubt that Jean Béliveau would dominate any era of history. Even today he'd still be a tall and skilled #1 center and the greatest leader the sport has ever seen. He was also a complete player—think a Crosby type (not stylistically, but in terms of being complete).

Historically, Béliveau is at worst the 3rd greatest center of all-time, and center is the strongest position by far, so that says a lot. There's an argument that he is in fact the greatest center of all-time, over Gretzky and Lemieux, because of his all-around game and leadership—in that sense, Béliveau is a better franchise player than Gretzky and Lemieux. But that would be a controversial opinion, so let's leave it at 3rd greatest center of all-time.

Among all positions, I cannot see Jean being ranked further down the list than 6th greatest player of all-time, and he is often considered the 5th greatest after Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr and Howe. Béliveau's competition would be Bobby Hull, Doug Harvey, Maurice Richard, Patrick Roy, Howie Morenz and soon Sidney Crosby. That's my opinion but it's roughly shared by many other amateur historians, whatever that's worth.

The thing with Le Gros Bill is that his resume is flawless in a way that nobody else is (except maybe Doug Harvey and Gordie Howe). Gretzky was unidimensionnal, and it can be argued his Oilers underperformed given how strong they were. He also failed to win when he started declining, though he came close. Lemieux had so many injuries, and he too was unidimensionnal. Bobby Hull only won the cup once and was difficult to play with. Maurice Richard again a tad unidimensionnal, plus some of his big seasons (the 50 in 50) came during the WWII depleted years. Howie Morenz had a good but not great playoff record. Patrick Roy had a good but not super-great regular season career—clearly beat by Hasek there. And Hasek has a weak playoff record against that competition. Crosby had a lot of injuries, and his game wasn't as complete in his youth as it is now. Plus the early-career antics.

Béliveau is a complete player, the greatest leader in hockey history, was #1 center for TWO dynasties, was strong and tall, skilled both as a playmaker and goalscorer, great stickhandler, high-IQ, stayed with the same teams for two decades winning 10 Stanley Cups, was an immense playoff performer and he did all that in his hometown as a french-canadian hero who had to replace a living legend in Maurice Richard.

One can never stress the point strongly enough that Bobby Orr despite injuries, was a prolific hockey player for any generation, as were all the above IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad