JC's Change Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
kane is a player thats necessary in helping a team in the future win tho. someone has to collect points and do it regularly. Nobody else on this team can do that. hes going to be able to do that for another maybe 6-8 years. i dont like the idea of trading him.

If a motivated Kane could stay close to his current level of play until he is 38, then I certainly agree. Currently I see no motivation whatsoever.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I would not even consider trading Kane. I think he will be another Martin St. Louis, still has another 8-10 years of top level production. If we did move him, a top 10 pick would have to be coming back. The only contender that has one is Colorado. So that’s a no-go anyway because in a couple seasons when we are contending again, Kane would be torching us in the playoffs.

This is what the deal would look like IMO:

:avs
Kane

:hawks
Makar
Ottawa 1st 2019
Colorado 1st 2019

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Highly doubt Kane is traded, let alone asks for a trade.

And love the complaints about his D. His D has always been an issue. It's just something to complain about now since the Hawks are bad, and losing a lot.

It’s also more noticeable now because Colliton isn’t using Kane the same way Q did. Kane’s lack of defensive effort is getting exposed more now, especially since Colliton basically bag skates Kane every game and doesn’t skate with with people while will cover for him defensively.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I would not even consider trading Kane. I think he will be another Martin St. Louis, still has another 8-10 years of top level production. If we did move him, a top 10 pick would have to be coming back. The only contender that has one is Colorado. So that’s a no-go anyway because in a couple seasons when we are contending again, Kane would be torching us in the playoffs.

Kane

Makar
Ottawa 1st 2019
Colorado 1st 2019

I don't hesitate to do this deal.

Makar is really good.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It’s also more noticeable now because Colliton isn’t using Kane the same way Q did. Kane’s lack of defensive effort is getting exposed more now, especially since Colliton basically bag skates Kane every game and doesn’t skate with with people while will cover for him defensively.

He is not bag skating Kane. I don't get why people are saying this.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Kane

Makar
Ottawa 1st 2019
Colorado 1st 2019

Absolutely would do this. Could land two top 5 picks plus Makar and then another late 1st. Thats a launchpad for a rebuild.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Poor attempt at humor?

Point is, he’s giving Kane a ****load of icetime and is doing it with guys who aren’t covering up Kane’s defensive lapses.

You are not the only one saying this.

Kane is playing more but his career average is 19:50. This season he is averaging 22:07 and the 4 prior season he averaged a little under 21 minutes. We are talking about 2-3 shifts more max.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He is not bag skating Kane. I don't get why people are saying this.

I think people are just using the term "bag skate" because Kane seems to be on the ice every other shift. He's double-shifting with the 4th line a lot. I think the only reason for it is because they're down in just about every game. If the Hawks were winning, and leading more games, you'd see this much less, and his ice time would be down closer to his career average.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don’t know if you need to trade him, but I think Colliton has him on the ice too much, and has Toews on the ice not enough.

But the problem is Toews can't play many more minutes in a typical game because of his style. He plays against the ops top line every game and remains a plus player on a terrible team.

In the past Q was able to shelter Kane but that puts additional stress on a struggling team. Perhaps the only solution is to load up line 1 and play Kane with Toews and Saad and roll the dice that the rest of the line-up doesn't suffer too much. One thing certain in my mind: Hawks aren't going anywhere when their highest-minute forward is a minus player.... and of course that is compounded by the atrocious ST's.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't hesitate to do this deal.

Makar is really good.
Absolutely would do this. Could land two top 5 picks plus Makar and then another late 1st. Thats a launchpad for a rebuild.

I would do it too if Colorado wasn’t in the division. My hesitation is the divisional playoff format. We’d have to deal with him in the playoffs until our new D-Core and Debrincat are all about 30. Colorado is building something special even without Kane. They’ll be tough to beat.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I would do it too if Colorado wasn’t in the division. My hesitation is the divisional playoff format. We’d have to deal with him in the playoffs until our new D-Core and Debrincat are all about 30. Colorado is building something special even without Kane. They’ll be tough to beat.

I guess thats the biggest knock but a chance at two of Hughes, Kakko, etc and Makar makes the value damn good.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But the problem is Toews can't play many more minutes in a typical game because of his style. He plays against the ops top line every game and remains a plus player on a terrible team.

In the past Q was able to shelter Kane but that puts additional stress on a struggling team. Perhaps the only solution is to load up line 1 and play Kane with Toews and Saad and roll the dice that the rest of the line-up doesn't suffer too much. One thing certain in my mind: Hawks aren't going anywhere when their highest-minute forward is a minus player.... and of course that is compounded by the atrocious ST's.

Until they fix our D (with youth) there is going to be a struggle to shelter him.

I know I keep preaching about the talent coming but I am also honest in saying there will be some struggles as they learn the game. The talent will be fun to watch and the learning moments will be hard on patience.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I guess thats the biggest knock but a chance at two of Hughes, Kakko, etc and Makar makes the value damn good.

Would be interesting to see the response on the trade board. You could even take the Avs 1st out, Makar and Ottawa 1st are what we really need out of it.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Will be easier to have patience with Mitchell and Boqvist making mistakes than guys with zero future on this team like Manning, Rutta, Seabrook etc.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Would be interesting to see the response on the trade board. You could even take the Avs 1st out, Makar and Ottawa 1st are what we really need out of it.

Mainboard thinks half the Hawks team has no trade value. I could see the Ottawa pick being a center piece but Makar might be too much for them to give up.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I think that’s what you need to do. If you can’t shelter Kane, then you have to put him with someone who can cover for him.

At the moment, the only person capable of doing that may be Toews.

It adds scoring to your best line, and creates a lesser chance of Kane allowing the other team to score right back because Toews and Saad are his safety net.

Without that defensive safety net, or being sheltered, I’m worried Kane at 22 minutes a night may be doing more harm than good.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Am I crazy for seeing parallels between the DeBrincat-Kampf-Sikura line and the Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen line?

In a limited sample size, they’re putting up similar fancy stats as that line did.

Plus the play styles kind of match. Sharp was declining by then, and I would say DeBrincat is at least as good, if not better, than that season’s version of Sharp.

Vermette was declining at that point and wasn’t exactly a 2C anymore, but he was a darn good 3C that won draws and provided defense, and also chipped in some timely scoring. You can almost say the same of Kampf, he just needs to score a bit more.

Teravainen came up halfway through the year after scoring less than a point per game in Rockford. He then only put up nine points in 34 games after his call up. A lot complained about him seeming too physically immature, but saw the speed and skill in his game. I feel like the same things could pretty easily describe Sikura. The only thing Sikura is lacking is some of the defensive play Teravainen provided.

Am I totally wrong here?

Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
Teravainen’s skill was far more apparent to me.

In general, I guess you could and have drawn some parallels but as of now they are the poor man’s version of that line.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
adding forsling murphy dahlstrom sikura strome perlini nillson has added some energy. still think this team will struggle because of depth scoring and defense. still dont think coaching or systems has to do with an uptick in play as of recent just the turnover of the roster. #noimprovements -- like the team never won 3 games with Q coaching lol the goalposts have been moved to the otherside of the planet. 7-14-3 vs 6-6-3 with a better roster

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Can we update the thread title to JC Tracker - The Road to No Improvements
adding forsling murphy dahlstrom sikura strome perlini nillson has added some energy. still think this team will struggle because of depth scoring and defense. still dont think coaching or systems has to do with an uptick in play as of recent just the turnover of the roster. #noimprovements -- like the team never won 3 games with Q coaching lol the goalposts have been moved to the otherside of the planet. 7-14-3 vs 6-6-3 with a better roster

You don't see better coverage? You don't see a more physical defense instead of active sticks? You don't see the team attacking the puck carrier more, all over the ice?

I thought I had bad eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad