JC's Change Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's his first game behind the bench. He'll go with the original Q lines(which I believe these were them to start the year), then make adjustments as necessary...
I agree. He doesn't want to rock the boat so much in his first game.

He really liked Hayden in Rockford and it's only a matter of time before he draws back in for a Kunitz or Martinsen. Johnson as well.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If the players actually move, yeah. I'll have to see it succeed before believing it will. I believe it was Ray Ferroro a few years back that said he believes the PP is 80% on the players, and 20% on coaching.
If Q was telling the guys to move and they weren't, for that long... put the bottom six out there and see if they do it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If the players actually move, yeah. I'll have to see it succeed before believing it will. I believe it was Ray Ferroro a few years back that said he believes the PP is 80% on the players, and 20% on coaching.

That 20% is humongous when you have the wrong guys in the wrong positions...

Opposite-handed point shooters. Opposite-handed "slot" guy from the side that the PP is being run from. Q didn't do this... Running the PP from the right boards, he had Keith in the slot for the one-timer. When he needed a RH shot. He had Keith playing left D and Seabs playing right D on the PP points... Or Cat, also on the right. When they should be flip-flopped for one-timers. It was just stupidity. Whether it's on Q or Dineen... it was stupid, and should have been corrected.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The drop pass can be effective you just need to be a threat to dump and chase for it to be respected. We aren't/weren't.
the few teams I was watching were doing it every power play, and looked like we did with it lol. the only way that works is if you have a guy that can skate like the wind to get into the zone and a group of forwards willing to crash, which we do not and neither did the few teams I saw.

the best teams rarely rely on dropping the puck back, losing ground to regain it is not optimal unless you have the people capable of retrieving the puck when dumped in.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Opposite-handed point shooters. Opposite-handed "slot" guy from the side that the QB is being run from. Q didn't do this... Running the PP from the right boards, he had Keith in the slot for the one-timer. When he needed a RH shot. He had Keith playing left D and Seabs playing right D on the PP points... Or Cat, also on the right. When they should be flip-flopped for one-timers.
Like I said, I'll have to see it succeed before believing it will.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
the few teams I were watching were doing it every power play, and looked like we did with it lol. the only way that works is if you have a guy that can skate like the wind to get into the zone and a group of forwards willing to crash, which we do not and neither did the few teams I saw.

the best teams rarely rely on dropping the puck back, losing ground to regain it is not optimal unless you have the people capable of retrieving the puck when dumped in.
Ideally it works because defenders need to respect the puck handlers speed/hands, dumping the puck in on a PP is a tactic for teams lacking talent. You go from possession to hoping to win a board battle.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
the few teams I were watching were doing it every power play, and looked like we did with it lol. the only way that works is if you have a guy that can skate like the wind to get into the zone and a group of forwards willing to crash, which we do not and neither did the few teams I saw.

This is wrong AD. Go to my description of the purpose of this entry some posts back. When executed properly(which several teams do very well) this is a sure-fire setup in the zone.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ideally it works because defenders need to respect the puck handlers speed/hands, dumping the puck in on a PP is a tactic for teams lacking talent. You go from possession to hoping to win a board battle.

Not with the push-back entry. It's not a standard dump and chase. See my description above for the whole purpose of it, and how it should work when executed properly.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Opposite-handed point shooters. Opposite-handed "slot" guy from the side that the PP is being run from. Q didn't do this... Running the PP from the right boards, he had Keith in the slot for the one-timer. When he needed a RH shot. He had Keith playing left D and Seabs playing right D on the PP points... Or Cat, also on the right. When they should be flip-flopped for one-timers. It was just stupidity. Whether it's on Q or Dineen... it was stupid, and should have been corrected.
The players can adjust on the fly and get into spots that will help them shoot from better spots. You don't always have to follow the set up 100% on a PP. A lot of the PP is trying to find open areas as a player. I think they just need some more leniency on the PP, let guys find the soft spots on their own, be creative, and not be stuck in a cemented set up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
the few teams I was watching were doing it every power play, and looked like we did with it lol. the only way that works is if you have a guy that can skate like the wind to get into the zone and a group of forwards willing to crash, which we do not and neither did the few teams I saw.

If you use it, you can't have it dropped back so far that the forwards flying through the neutral zone at full speed have to come to a complete stop at the blueline and wait for Kane to carry the puck in. The whole point of it is for the puck-carrier to carry the puck across the red line, and time it so that he chips it in behind the D with his other two forwards going at full speed across the blueline. This catches basically the entire opposing team's four defenders standing still at the blueline/flat-footed, and ensures a clean entry/ability to setup down low in the offensive zone. The Hawks don't do this. They drop it soooooooo far back, that the forwards have to pull up at the blueline, then the puck carrier can't really chip it in, unless he chips and chases himself. Which defeats the purpose of the entry in the first place.

Reactions: Bubba88

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do not see Pitt, Boston, Washington, etc doing this at all for their power plays....I will watch closer for the top power plays and what they are doing..

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The players can adjust on the fly and get into spots that will help them shoot from better spots. You don't always have to follow the set up 100% on a PP. A lot of the PP is trying to find open areas as a player. I think they just need some more leniency on the PP, let guys find the soft spots on their own, be creative, and not be stuck in a cemented set up.

Well yeah, I agree. But the guys should be put in a position to succeed from the get-go. When setup properly, with the correct personnel, there's no reason the talent on the PP of this team can't be league average, at worst. Just the proper setup/execution will guarantee far more success than with the way it was setup under Q.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
But we never dump it deep. Teams just stack the blueline because like you said nobody is making the zone with speed and we never go deep so they don't need to respect that. It's about giving the opposing PK several different looks, letting them make a mistake and capitalizing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Excuses? More like logic. Why wouldn't a coach, in his first time behind the bench of an NHL game, go with the lines setup by the previous coach, and then tweak them as he sees necessary?
I mean, the team is on a 5 game losing streak, but lets keep the lines the same. Perfect logic.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
But we never dump it deep. Teams just stack the blueline because like you said nobody is making the zone with speed and we never go deep so they don't need to respect that. It's about giving the opposing PK several different looks, letting them make a mistake and capitalizing.

Right. Poor execution of that entry is why it is doomed from the get-go for the Hawks. Their timing on it is off, and that's due to dropping the pass back wayyyyyy too far into our own zone. That drop should come right before the D carrying the puck up the ice hits the redline. And as soon as Kane receives it, and crosses the redline, the other two forwards should be about to cross the blueline at full speed, with Kane chipping it in past the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad