Confirmed with Link: JBow extended one year @ $3.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Considering they’ve been that way for several years in a row now, they’re probably bad all the way across. He’s been, statistically, one of the worst dmen in the league for at least two years now
He was also injured last year. That plays a role in things.

1-year deal its fine.

I really don't like IF Gunnar gets extension.
If Gunnarsson doesn't come back, who are you putting into that spot if you're not going to the FA market for someone? Schmaltz has had his shot a couple times now, he's not it. Expectations for Walman are still probably too high around here, and while he took steps forward this season I don't think he's ready to step into the NHL full-time. [Though I'd start making him the first call-up.] Reinke? Maybe, if you realize he's got a low ceiling and can shelter him. Mikkola? Same. Butler? Ugh.

Bouwmeester 1st half vs 2nd half:
How much of those numbers are really Bouwmeester, and how much of it was who he was on the ice with? It's pretty clear that the difference between GA and xGA is largely Binnington, though the pre/post difference in xGA is .30 [which isn't trivial].

Granted, I think Bouwmeester's game got stronger as the season went on, but I don't know that it was really good. Better than OK, but still room for improvement.

If Gunnarsson doesn't return what does everyone think the Blues will do for the 7th and 8th defensemen next season?

I wonder if the Blues will look for a veteran on a bargain contract(Wideman, Methot, if he looks healthy, Polak, etc.). Though not my personal preference, maybe they bring Del Zotto and/or Jerabek back? What does everyone think?
Not Jerabek; if he couldn't get into the lineup with everything going on early in the season, he's not getting into this lineup.

I'm not opposed to bringing Polak back; at 32, he's probably still got a couple years left and you know what you're getting and he can fill that. As long as you don't ask for what he was when he was here, you'll be fine. If you're trying to keep it cheap, you could take a shot at Eric Gryba (6'4", right-hand shot; probably going to fill the Chris Butler role). But I might look at what we've got at forward and try to deal from there, instead of plugging a 6/7 guy in. The FA market is pretty limited; there should be better options in a trade.

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I will always love Bouw pre/post-game interviews. Idk if he has wicked bad anxiety or if he is just a western Canadian man-of-few-words type, but there is something relatable about looking like a deer in headlights when public speaking.

I read somewhere a few years back that it’s a touch of social anxiety. He just doesn’t like the camera or talking about himself AT ALL. The other day when they interviewed him about being a Masterton Trophy nominee, he sounded and looked like he wanted to disappear in a cloud of smoke.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If Gunnarsson doesn't come back, who are you putting into that spot if you're not going to the FA market for someone?

IMO the healthy top 6 should be Petro, Parayko, Dunn, J-Bo, Eddy and Bortz next year. I'm completely comfortable finding a #7 D in the free agent market. Gunnar's health concerns me a lot more then J-Bo's. He played 25 games this year, 63 the year before and 56 the year before that. Fair or not, my feeling with a 32 year old Gunnar (33 in November) is that he is injury prone. He has been out for lengthy stretches 3 different times this year, so I'm uneasy bringing him back.

With that said, I would be happy if he is willing to be the #7 guy here on a 1 year deal worth less than $1.5 mil. I wouldn't do that if I were him, but I'd like it from the Blues' perspective. I will be surprised if Gunnar is around next year and I think that is a minimal loss given what his role would be.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
IMO the healthy top 6 should be Petro, Parayko, Dunn, J-Bo, Eddy and Bortz next year. I'm completely comfortable finding a #7 D in the free agent market.
I took a look at who's potentially out there. It's really slim pickings. It's why I suggested the trade route.

Knowing that Eddy and Bortz aren't going to play 82 games next season [they played 64 and 59 this year; the year prior they were 69 and 72 which is their most GP in a season each and it's Bortuzzo's only season going over 60], finding at least a semi-reliable #7 is key unless someone from within is going to step up. I'm not opposed to making it an open audition in camp and seeing who [if anyone] steps up, but I would have a Plan B ready just in case.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
No offense but I'm glad Armstrong doesn't base his contract proposals on just a few advanced stats.

None taken, but I can't be the only one who remembers Bo from before the last 3 months. It's nice that he's playing better, but he has been awful the past few years. With Dunn and Ed in the top 4, we really didn't need to spend $3.25m on a bottom pairing defenseman.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
None taken, but I can't be the only one who remembers Bo from before the last 3 months. It's nice that he's playing better, but he has been awful the past few years. With Dunn and Ed in the top 4, we really didn't need to spend $3.25m on a bottom pairing defenseman.
thats why it being a 1year deal was crucial

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Who else is a big body lefty for depth if someone is needed? It's really not a bad contract and JBo really hasn't only been good the past 3 months. Last season he was hurt a lot and he was fine the years before that.

Gotta remember he played tons of minutes against other teams top lines and used to get lots of PK time. That affects lots of D guys' stats on many teams. Not AS much of that now and he is older.

For the money and what the Blues need, for one year, it's really not a bad deal at all.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Gotta remember he played tons of minutes against other teams top lines and used to get lots of PK time. That affects lots of D guys' stats on many teams. Not AS much of that now and he is older.
PK time is not included in the statistics people are referencing (besides GAR but it is just a small component that is measured against a "replacement level" PKer aka it doesn't penalize someone for playing PK), and though Bouw has faced tough match-ups he also undoubtedly benefits from having Parayko as a partner.

In fact I just checked and Bouw has positive PK GAR. So the PK is actually benefitting him in that statistic.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Not to mention his on-ice save percentage since December has been close to .950. So that’s why he’s “improved.”

DA fooled by randomness once again....ugh.

That save percentage wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Parayko and Bouw being by far our best pairing the past few months, would it? You could just as easily attribute Jake Allen's turnaround to the much improved defensive play in front of him. I think Jake's play has been more heavily influenced by the defensive play in front of him than Bouw's has been by the goaltending behind him. That pairing has been fantastic and it isn't just Parayko.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Coming into this season, I thought he was finished. I was convinced of it in October of this season, because he was awful. But he improved, and now looks to be as good as he has ever been in St. Louis. How to account for it? I guess his offseason surgery allowed him to play healthy again.

Gunnarsson is too fragile to count on. No one in the minors looks ready to make the jump. Edmundson has not been impressive this season. We needed Bouwmeester back for a year at a reasonable salary, and we got it.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It should be noted that Jordan Schmaltz I believe is on a 1 way contract next season.

Rather just sign Del Zotto back as a 7th but seems unlikely
Why does that seem unlikely? The team seem to like him, and he probably isn’t going to have a lot of great offers. I personally thought this was the probable plan.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think Del Zotto is the current 7th Dman for next year, barring one of the kids really pushing for the spot in camp. He's played well in the handful of games he got into with us, he knows the systems now, and I think given his connections to other guys in the locker room before the trade I think he fits in well with the group, he's also another left shot.

Reactions: Multigrain

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Because you’ve got 7 defenders on 1 way contracts already with Schmaltz in addition to who we’ve got this year

We often keep 1-way players in the AHL. Jerabek is 1-way, and we won't be bringing him back. So we save that money. Butler's first contract with us was 1-way, and subsequent ones have a hefty AHL salary. Schmaltz' contract is only $700k. So while that's more $550k more than we paid him this year, it won't count against our cap. I doubt $500k cash is going to change our decision process one way or another on bringing in another D if we feel it will improve this team.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Because you’ve got 7 defenders on 1 way contracts already with Schmaltz in addition to who we’ve got this year
I’d love if Schmaltz forced his way into the lineup, even as the 7th man. But I don’t expect it. I think he could request a trade (well, he already pretty much did) and won’t be here next season either way. But I don’t think his contract would influence him making the Blues.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
The Parayko-Bo pairing pretty clearly is our best defensive pairing. They have found some nice chemistry and are the most difficult pairing for the opposition to exploit--b/c of their speed and reach.

Reactions: Multigrain

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
We risked losing schmaltz to waivers this year by sending him down to minors. That to me suggests the team doesnt see him as a part of the future. We have also recalled butler over schmaltz in times since.

Schmaltz i dont see on the team next year

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
We risked losing schmaltz to waivers this year by sending him down to minors. That to me suggests the team doesnt see him as a part of the future. We have also recalled butler over schmaltz in times since.

Schmaltz i dont see on the team next year

You're probably right but the Blues will have to pay him unless somebody else claims him.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Bo is hands down one of the best defencemen I've ever seen play the game of hockey in my life. I knew that in his first game as a Blue, sitting alone in a bar in SD, a young Navy sailor drinking my blues away. I bought his jersey (really because it was the only one my size) with my last remaining dollars less than a month after returning home. My first Blues jersey now resides in a frame, where it will remain, retired like the legend himself.

LGB

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Bo is hands down one of the best defencemen I've ever seen play the game of hockey in my life. I knew that in his first game as a Blue, sitting alone in a bar in SD, a young Navy sailor drinking my blues away. I bought his jersey (really because it was the only one my size) with my last remaining dollars less than a month after returning home. My first Blues jersey now resides in a frame, where it will remain, retired like the legend himself.

LGB
Jaybo was a special guy for sure. I was at the draft when he was picked and enjoyed watching him for most of his career. The only time I can recall him ever playing poorly was that stretch a couple years back where he had the undisclosed hip injury. I consider him a Hall of Fame talent even if his accolades don't end up putting him there. I am very glad he was able to recover from his hip issue and prove that he was still an elite defensemen prior to his unfortunate early retirement.

I only own 2 NHL game used sticks - Datsyuk and JayBo. Still need to get the JayBo stick signed though, hopefully I'll get a chance once COVID ends.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I personally knew Bouwmeester when he was younger when he played junior. He played for our local WHL team, My parents were billets. I was playing hockey at the time and he became a sort of a mentor to me. I've been watching his entire career since junior and I was very happy to see him win the Stanley Cup. I remember watching on tv and hearing Petro asking where Bouwmeester was, Everything, The Blues winning the cup, Petro being the first to lift the cup and Bouwmeester getting the cup from Petro the smile on my face was 5 miles wide. And I was completely devastated, just like everyone else was about what happened to Bouwmeester and it sucks that he was forced into early retirement and didn't get to retire on his own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad