Confirmed with Link: JBow extended one year @ $3.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Who would have thought this board would be happy about a JayBo extension and we should be, he has been amazing since December, perfect cost and term for the team

Reactions: MissouriMook

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Love it. This buys us a year for the left side, which will allow Ed to try and win back the team's confidence. We absolutely weren't going to replace J-Bo's contribution for less money than this and the 1 year term is ideal in case of injury or hitting an age wall.

There is nothing not to like about this.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I think he could have got a 2 year deal elsewhere for more money, especially how he has really improved his game showing he is fully recovered. Him only going for one year deal, makes me think he sees this team has the potential to win it all and he wants to be a part of that plan.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Beautiful. Only one year so if he falls off a cliff again it's not a total liability. Saves us over 2M in cap. Only guys left unsigned for next year that I think we definitely need to bring back are Binnington, Barbashev, and Sundqvist. The rest are spare parts/replaceable(Maroon, Blais, Sanford, Gunnar, MDZ, Eddy, Sanford). Wouldn't lose any sleep over any of those guys going, though we'd obviously need a replacement for them in some form.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
That's a real head-scratcher for me. I would have counted my blessings that he was playing better this year and wished him well in free agency. As long as he's on the team, we're going to be tempted to play him in the top 4 when Dunn and Eddy are clearly better options.

Edit: Here's one person's opinion

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Bouwmeester could have gotten more than that in the open market, at least just in term. I think this means he’s pretty set on retiring after 1 more year. So the extra term is irrelevant to him.

Great deal for both sides. For those saying Blues should have let him walk, you need to look closer at the UFA options.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That's a real head-scratcher for me. I would have counted my blessings that he was playing better this year and wished him well in free agency. As long as he's on the team, we're going to be tempted to play him in the top 4 when Dunn and Eddy are clearly better options.

I’d have liked to see those numbers split for first and second half of the season.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I legitimately am not sure if there was a free agent on the Left Side I would take over Boue at this point honestly.

Factoring in the AAV and term it would take to land that UFA, there is absolutely not a LD on the market I'd prefer over 1 year of J-Bo at $3.25 mil. Guys like Ceci, Edler, Kronwall, and Coburn are all going to require higher AAV and term that is going to be uncomfortable at the end. Gardiner is going to get vastly overpaid and likely on a 7 year deal. And that is really the list of LD UFAs that I'd be remotely comfortable playing Bo's current role.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That's the list of LHD UFAs. It's underwhelming to say the least. Trading for a top 4 LD isn't going to be cheap either. A year and a half of Muzzin cost a 1st rounder and a couple mid-range prospects earlier this year. That's a hefty cost for what is still a short term fix. A long term fix likely costs noticeably more than that (and since we don't have a 1st rounder this year, would likely mean Kyrou++). I'd much, much rather kick the can down the road to get another year of data about Dunn, see how his defense develops and see whether Eddy can bounce back.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

No offense but I'm glad Armstrong doesn't base his contract proposals on just a few advanced stats.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I like the term. I would have liked a lower cap hit, but its really a non-issue with a one year term. We should have cap space to spend next year, but we cannot spend it on long-term deals because Schenn and Pietro's raises will come due (if we keep them, which we absolutely should if possible). So paying more on a one-year deal now, allows us to sign him for an even cheaper deal next year, or let him walk if our young guys step up.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
A touch higher than I ideally would've liked, but it's hard to argue given the mediocre UFA crop of LHD we could have replaced him with for a similar price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad