Jayson Megna Re-Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Unfortunately, yep, that's what I'm saying so the response to this thread is what surprised me. They are going to give Dags and Kobasew every chance until they show they just can't help us.

The response is what it is because we think the front office is ****ing stupid.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Megna was leveling off and I expressed my concern with his hockey sense or lack of experience, whatever it is, he has work to do.

However, he was still doing things to help the team win. On some shifts he looked like he had no idea where to go to make himself an option for Malkin. That said, he was still scoring, back checking well, drew a couple of penalties, and was one of the few guys on this roster willing to go to the net (probably his best attribute since he was called up). His speed was also a big asset as well.

When compared to how poorly Dags is playing, and the two big mistakes he made last night, the move to send Megna down is kind of BS. Let him play himself off the roster.

This is just part of what I'm talking about with DB not making guys accountable. Dags has earned a seat on the bench, but Megna gets demoted instead.

I kind of expected this anyway, even though I expressed some hope DB was changing.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I hope he keeps his head up, kid was solid during his time. If he keeps playing this well in WBS maybe next summer Shero won't go crazy signing plugs like D'Agostini

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
So why criticize us for complaining that we don't agree with management? I mean now that you have clarified your opinion it basically boils down to this: "Stop complaining because this is what management will do anyway".

It's the same stuff every time something happens though. Things that may not have anything to do with management are blamed on them. Everything can't be management's fault, but that's what is seen here.

None of you have walked away from following the team as I haven't, but to come back, saying the same **** day after day after day makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm different.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's the same stuff every time something happens though. Things that may not have anything to do with management are blamed on them. Everything can't be management's fault, but that's what is seen here.

None of you have walked away from following the team as I haven't, but to come back, saying the same **** day after day after day makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm different.

If my wife does something I don't agree with, I don't just divorce her.
If my parents vote for someone I hate, I don't disown them.
If my arm won't stop itching, I don't cut it off.

Most of the people on this board are Penguins fans. They aren't bandwagoners. Just because the people running the team are incompetent doesn't mean you walk away from the team. It means you hope that they either learn from their mistake or they get fired.

As for your take on Megna: this was almost assuredly their plan, and it's just another sign of what's plaguing this organization:

"Megna is just a stopgap till we get healthy. Never mind the fact that he was outplaying at least 6 guys on the roster, we have to send him down rather than hold one of those 6 accountable."

"Our in-game strategies aren't working. Never mind trying to adjust to what the opposing team is doing, we'll just lose this game and try harder next time."

There is no adapting. No concession that things can change and we need to grow and evolve as a team and an organization. There is no self-awareness.

I hate 90% of the things about this team, BUT IT IS STILL MY TEAM.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is hardly a shocker. I don't even think Megna is all that. I see POSSIBLE regular third liner as his ceiling. He's not unlike Tyler Kennedy in many ways.

I just find it rather amusing (not really) that he was scratched, then demoted after playing better than expected in the NHL.

Sends a really strong, positive message to the rest of the guys down on the farm with NHL dreams. Basically, everybody in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton wishes their name were Craig Adams or Tanner Glass.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
And that's really the thing. If Megna traded jerseys with Adams or Glass (hell basically anybody in the bottom 6) before the game and Bylsma never knew or found out afterward, he would never scratch Megna again from now until eternity.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sends a really strong, positive message to the rest of the guys down on the farm with NHL dreams. Basically, everybody in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton wishes their name were Craig Adams or Tanner Glass.

Or Pascal Dupuis, or Brooks Orpik, or Matt D'Agostini apparently. :shakehead

The message is worrying, let's mess with their concept of effort vs. reward.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is hardly a shocker. I don't even think Megna is all that. I see POSSIBLE regular third liner as his ceiling. He's not unlike Tyler Kennedy in many ways.

I just find it rather amusing (not really) that he was scratched, then demoted after playing better than expected in the NHL.

He's really not like Tyler Kennedy at all but I agree with the rest of your post.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He's really not like Tyler Kennedy at all but I agree with the rest of your post.

He's fast, right-handed, lacks hockey sense clearly, tenacious...that's four things right there. I didn't say he was a clone or mirror image of Kennedy, but there are similarities.

What am I missing?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
This is stupid, mainly because of Matt ****ing D´Agostini. What did D´Agostini do to earn his spot? He was bad in the camp and is bad now. He doesn´t play good defense, he doesn´t go to the dirty areas, he´s not a net-front presence, he´s not fighting on the boards, he´s not creating things and he´s not scoring. Matt D´Agostini is useless hockey player but it´s Megna who´s sent down after making a good impression.

I would like to hear Bylsma´s reasoning for this. What does D´Agostini do better than Megna? This organization is killing me. Shero is the another to blame here.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
He's fast, right-handed, lacks hockey sense clearly, tenacious...that's four things right there. I didn't say he was a clone or mirror image of Kennedy, but there are similarities.

What am I missing?

He's bigger and hasn't refined the chest snipe yet. Seriously, he brings a dimension to the team that it greatly needs, and watching him play is refreshing. But he seemed lost at times in his last game and needs work, and the best place to get it is WBS. Hopefully, he'll be back soon. Yeah, he probably brings more to the table than some of the deadwood currently on the roster, but unless your team is at the bottom of the standings, or unless the team is desperate for healthy bodies, the inexperienced guy always gets the shaft. It's not just the Pens, and it's not just hockey.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Let's say that Megna = Kennedy (he doesn't, but let's say it for this exercise), what's wrong with that? Kennedy was a good player and part of the best third line in hockey for a stretch.

The problem wasn't Tyler Kennedy, it was Tyler Kennedy at 2.5MM+++

If Megna = Kennedy, he = Kennedy at the minimum. Isn't that a good thing?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Let's say that Megna = Kennedy (he doesn't, but let's say it for this exercise), what's wrong with that? Kennedy was a good player and part of the best third line in hockey for a stretch.

The problem wasn't Tyler Kennedy, it was Tyler Kennedy at 2.5MM+++

If Megna = Kennedy, he = Kennedy at the minimum. Isn't that a good thing?

Precisely what I was getting at.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

What am I missing?

He doesn't really lack hockey sense though. And he's not really tenacious like Kennedy. The eye test alone proves he looks literally NOTHING like Kennedy.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Haven't scored an even strength goal in 3 games?

Better shake things up.

Lets demote the guy who, at least statistically, has been the most productive 5-on-5player.

Laugh because why the hell not.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
He doesn't really lack hockey sense though. And he's not really tenacious like Kennedy. The eye test alone proves he looks literally NOTHING like Kennedy.

I cant remember TK getting too many goals by driving to the net either.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Megna would have to up his chest snipes per game number by at least 2 to be in the TK conversation.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
If my wife does something I don't agree with, I don't just divorce her.
If my parents vote for someone I hate, I don't disown them.
If my arm won't stop itching, I don't cut it off.

Most of the people on this board are Penguins fans. They aren't bandwagoners. Just because the people running the team are incompetent doesn't mean you walk away from the team. It means you hope that they either learn from their mistake or they get fired.

As for your take on Megna: this was almost assuredly their plan, and it's just another sign of what's plaguing this organization:

"Megna is just a stopgap till we get healthy. Never mind the fact that he was outplaying at least 6 guys on the roster, we have to send him down rather than hold one of those 6 accountable."

"Our in-game strategies aren't working. Never mind trying to adjust to what the opposing team is doing, we'll just lose this game and try harder next time."

There is no adapting. No concession that things can change and we need to grow and evolve as a team and an organization. There is no self-awareness.

I hate 90% of the things about this team, BUT IT IS STILL MY TEAM.

Damn straight!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

OK well I guess I need to see more of him. Which means I need to drive down to Wilkes-Barre-Scranton, in case it's the last we see of him in the NHL.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Megna's too good looking by half for any TK comparisons. C'mon guys, it shouldn't have took that long for someone to bring it up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

What am I missing?

Maybe I saw something different with Megna. First off, I don't get the lack hockey sense comment I keep seeing. Admittedly, I didn't watch him much prior to his call up, but he showed more poise and playmaking ability with the puck in a few games than I ever remember seeing from TK. That one move he had where he slipped it through the defender's skates and walked him cleanly was something TK could never do.

I also don't see the same physicality with Megna that we saw with Kennedy. I just think they are really different players. Of course, it's a small sample size so I will need to see more.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Please .... you don't know me very well. I'm just not going to kill DB and Shero for EVERY LITTLE DAMN THING that this team does like YOU and others. These aren't amateur players who can't think. They are in a stupid funk that very well includes their coach, but THEY will have to pull themselves out of it and THEY are not doing it, regardless of what DB and Shero do.

It seems like you're defending EVERY LITTLE DAMN THING they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad