Jayson Megna Re-Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
He didn't score a hat trick. That's the prerequisite for new players sticking on Malkin's line.

He was only scoring 5v5 points at the highest rate on the team (yes, even more than Crosby), why shouldn't he be demoted?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ers&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

FN morons run this team. Morons. Keep dressing Engelland though.

20070216155929!Morans.jpg

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Don't get the "shiny new toy" ******** people use to rag on anyone that likes a new young player. Guess what, this team needs like five shiny new toys.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
The plan was for Megna to play in the AHL this year. Yes that is true. However, when a kid comes in and plays very well and proves he can make a difference at this level over guys like D'Agostini, then plans should change. Now one can argue that the long term benefit of Megna playing in the AHL is higher than the near term benefit of having him on the NHL roster, but you didn't say that.

I remember another kid "playing very well" when he came up ... even scored in his first game .... and eventually he was traded for Poni. I hope Megna is different as hell, but save the "very well" stuff. He was a spark and we should have seen more of what he could do, but bringing him up for a few games could have absolutely been the plan. And now that they know, once trade options open a bit more, they can move other pieces and have a clue what they have in him.

But you know as well as I do that they are going to see what Dags and Kobe have before they do that ..... to me, hence why he was sent back.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
:shakehead great. Wasn't like he brought anything to the team like some youth, or skill or anything.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
What plan? Play better than anyone in the bottom-6, lose time for no reason, and then get sent down?

Yes, I'm sure that was the plan, actually.

You just blindly defend/excuse anything this team does.

Please .... you don't know me very well. I'm just not going to kill DB and Shero for EVERY LITTLE DAMN THING that this team does like YOU and others. These aren't amateur players who can't think. They are in a stupid funk that very well includes their coach, but THEY will have to pull themselves out of it and THEY are not doing it, regardless of what DB and Shero do.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Really? How many times have we seen this team bring people up to get "a cup of coffee"? This could have definitely been the plan. Whether I agree with it or not is not even my point genius. We had people placing this guy on the second line ..... if that ain't "shiny, new toy", I don't know what is.

We had people placing him on the 2nd line over Chuck Kobasew. If you are going to gripe about us, at least get the griping correct. No one thinks Megna should be a permanent fixture in the top 6 right now. Give it a rest.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I remember another kid "playing very well" when he came up ... even scored in his first game .... and eventually he was traded for Poni. I hope Megna is different as hell, but save the "very well" stuff. He was a spark and we should have seen more of what he could do, but bringing him up for a few games could have absolutely been the plan. And now that they know, once trade options open a bit more, they can move other pieces and have a clue what they have in him.

But you know as well as I do that they are going to see what Dags and Kobe have before they do that ..... to me, hence why he was sent back.

So young player A get called up and plays well. Then gets demoted for old player B that is playing like ****. THAT is a plan that makes sense to you? What happened to earning your ice time?

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
Don't get the "shiny new toy" ******** people use to rag on anyone that likes a new young player. Guess what, this team needs like five shiny new toys.

I'm guessing this is towards me .... have you not been on this board long? Caputi was supposed to be that guy, Tangradi was supposed to be that guy, Despres was supposed to be that guy and now Bennett and Megna?

Just because this worked for Chicago doesn't mean it will work for us. Should we be inserting these guys into the lineup to see what they bring? ABSOLUTELY and I have never said anything against that. However, there is a way to do it and the almost feverish way that many on this board want to throw these guys into the top six and top four instead of letting them earn their time by being bottom pairing or on the third line and working their way up in "special".

Does DB screw that part up? YES.
Did Shero do the same with adding vets? Possibly, if he doesn't believe the youngsters are enough yet.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Earning your ice time is a platitude in a world with roster limits and one way vs. two way contracts.

This move is terribly unsurprising. I'm hoping that D'Agostini is moved and Megna comes back for an extended look. I like him a lot.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
We had people placing him on the 2nd line over Chuck Kobasew. If you are going to gripe about us, at least get the griping correct. No one thinks Megna should be a permanent fixture in the top 6 right now. Give it a rest.

Really? We have people putting him the top six without Kobasew on the roster and I'm no fan of Kobasew myself. This board has tried to throw every young guy on Malkin's line no matter who else was there. I don't have to list them. So you might want to give it a rest buddy.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I'm guessing this is towards me .... have you not been on this board long? Caputi was supposed to be that guy, Tangradi was supposed to be that guy, Despres was supposed to be that guy and now Bennett and Megna?

Just because this worked for Chicago doesn't mean it will work for us. Should we be inserting these guys into the lineup to see what they bring? ABSOLUTELY and I have never said anything against that. However, there is a way to do it and the almost feverish way that many on this board want to throw these guys into the top six and top four instead of letting them earn their time by being bottom pairing or on the third line and working their way up in "special".

Does DB screw that part up? YES.
Did Shero do the same with adding vets? Possibly, if he doesn't believe the youngsters are enough yet.

Neither Caputi nor Tangradi ever showed as much poise with the puck and certainly never looked at all as dynamic as Megna. Despres should be in the lineup right now as well so I don't know why you chose that example.

There is no universe where you can argue that Dagostini has shown more than Megna.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
So young player A get called up and plays well. Then gets demoted for old player B that is playing like ****. THAT is a plan that makes sense to you? What happened to earning your ice time?

Never said it made sense to me .... might want to read back over that since you are in a rush to come back at me. "At least get it straight", right?

I never even said I agreed with the plan Einstein. :shakehead

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Really? How many times have we seen this team bring people up to get "a cup of coffee"? This could have definitely been the plan. Whether I agree with it or not is not even my point genius. We had people placing this guy on the second line ..... if that ain't "shiny, new toy", I don't know what is.

The point genius is that when you have a player actually playing better than somebody else, you play them. Especially when you've scored ZERO 5v5 goals during this 3 game losing streak. Plans change. If you can't adapt then you're an idiot (not you personally).

Shiny new toy syndrome only occurs when people see what they want to see in a player regardless of reality. The reality is that Megna actually played well with Malkin and knew what areas of the ice to go to for Geno to get passes to him. He also displayed some good 1 on 1 skills and was decent defensively. Far more than I can say about a few forwards on this team currently.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Seriously. Its people I really question some peoples ability to analyze the game of hockey. Its amazing sometimes.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I hate this team. Thank God they have D'Agostini to play instead of a young, dynamic player. This team's biggest problem is that they know they don't have to earn ****, I swear that you can see some of them realizing it.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Never said it made sense to me .... might want to read back over that since you are in a rush to come back at me. "At least get it straight", right?

I never even said I agreed with the plan Einstein. :shakehead

Then what are you trying to do right now?

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
Neither Caputi nor Tangradi ever showed as much poise with the puck and certainly never looked at all as dynamic as Megna. Despres should be in the lineup right now as well so I don't know why you chose that example.

There is no universe where you can argue that Dagostini has shown more than Megna.

First, to this group, it didn't matter what Caputi or Gradi showed .... they wanted them on line two. Megna has a lot going for him and I actually hope he makes it back up here.

Second, hockey is a business as I'm sure you know. So Despres not being here could be for several reasons, one of which being the salary cap. Another being that we can't find a suitor for Niskanen, Engellend or whoever we might want to move. It's not like they called up ANOTHER defender from WBS, showing us that Despres is not on their radar right now. It is POSSIBLE that they can't bring him up if they wanted to or not, right?

Lastly, on what planet did you see me argue that Dags has shown more anything? I said that the brain trust probably wants to see what he can do before making a decision and they probably don't have the quick trigger finger that most of you do. Pair that with Megna's contract situation and it's a bit clearer as to why he was sent down. I don't necessarily like it and never said I did, but you and those like you assume that DB doesn't like youngsters instead of looking at the business side as a possibility.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm a Tangradi supporter and I never wanted him on line 2. Not once. I wanted him on line 4. Replacing the worthless carousel of vets who came and went and played some pretty mediocre to horrible hockey during their stints here.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Good move, if he wasn't going to play every game with the pens he needed to be sent down to play every game with the baby pens. being a healthy scratch wasn't going to help him.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
The point genius is that when you have a player actually playing better than somebody else, you play them. Especially when you've scored ZERO 5v5 goals during this 3 game losing streak. Plans change. If you can't adapt then you're an idiot (not you personally).

Shiny new toy syndrome only occurs when people see what they want to see in a player regardless of reality. The reality is that Megna actually played well with Malkin and knew what areas of the ice to go to for Geno to get passes to him. He also displayed some good 1 on 1 skills and was decent defensively. Far more than I can say about a few forwards on this team currently.

Which this board has a LONG history of doing, hence my point. Whether I like it or not, leadership is going to give the guys they signed a chance to see what they can bring to the team before pushing them out. It may very well be stupid, but that is their M.O., no?

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Which this board has a LONG history of doing, hence my point. Whether I like it or not, leadership is going to give the guys they signed a chance to see what they can bring to the team before pushing them out. It may very well be stupid, but that is their M.O., no?

Oh I'm sure that's their MO and if that's what you're saying, then I agree. I just think its ****ing stupid and sends the wrong message, but that's what this organization has become so I'm not surprised.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

So why criticize us for complaining that we don't agree with management? I mean now that you have clarified your opinion it basically boils down to this: "Stop complaining because this is what management will do anyway".

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
Oh I'm sure that's their MO and if that's what you're saying, then I agree. I just think its ****ing stupid and sends the wrong message, but that's what this organization has become so I'm not surprised.

Unfortunately, yep, that's what I'm saying so the response to this thread is what surprised me. They are going to give Dags and Kobasew every chance until they show they just can't help us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad