Blue Jays Discussion: Jays Sign Dan Johnson, Can He Save Toronto's Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
mlb passed expanded replay. umps make a lot of mistakes but he game is already too long as it is. don't know what to make of this

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Hey what bout going after Ian kinsler? I know his salary is quite high though. And maybe one of their pitchers?

How about Profar + Perez + Moreland for Bautista? Put Profar at 2B.

God I hope AA trades Bautista for a young pitcher for our starting staff then adds a decent replacement bat throu that trade or free agency.

Last edited:

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I think Texas is a good trade partner. They are dying for power. Maybe there could be framework for a deal in the future :)

Agreed, I'm just hoping AA starts agreeing that we should trade Bautista for pitching, our rotation needs what he can provide it.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
How about Profar + Perez + Moreland for Bautista? Put Profar at 2B.

God I hope AA trades Bautista for a young pitcher for our starting staff then adds a decent replacement bat throu that trade or free agency.

Isn't Moreland like Lind? Or more consistent ? Better fielder?

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
If I'm trading Bautista, it's for a frontline starter. Perez and Kinsler doesn't cut it for me.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/bautista/

bautista_jose640.jpg

Such is the frenzied atmosphere around the Toronto Blue Jays these days that an innocent Twitter post by Jose Bautista featuring an eager young fan’s recruitment letter was seen by some as a subtle request for a trade.

Certainly the buzz around the two-time home run champion has veered way beyond silly over the past few days, triggered by a nonsensical and fabricated trade rumour out of Philadelphia and heightened by the ensuing (and at times venomous) debate over whether it’s time to deal the four-time all-star.

Bautista insists he’s paying it all no mind, and understandably, isn’t interested in discussing the speculation floating around about him. As for the fan’s letter, which suggested that he may be able to stay healthy in another city and offered $80 million over four years for him to join the Texas Rangers as David Murphy’s replacement, Bautista thought it was cute, nothing more. Though no explanation should be needed, conspiracy theorists take note: “There was nothing meant by it,†he says.

“I’m very excited,†he says during an interview. “I’m getting back on the field earlier than normal, I’m just really looking forward to getting back to full strength and being healthy again. I’ve already started working out, I feel great, everything is progressing nicely, and I expect to be 110 per cent by the time spring training rolls around.â€

At the same time Bautista is also eagerly awaiting the moves GM Alex Anthopoulos has up his sleeve to turn things around for the Blue Jays. Like so many others, Bautista believed the 2013 club had all the pieces in place for a legitimate run – “I just don’t see where it can go bad for us,†he said back in February – but the additions of R.A. Dickey, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson and Melky Cabrera, among others, failed to pay dividends.

“Alex took his first run at really going after it when it comes to putting a team together that has a legit chance at being world champions, and it’s hard to get it right on your first time,†says Bautista. “Hopefully the second time we’re going to play better and support all the moves he makes, and make them look good, him and (manager John Gibbons). …

“All those losses (from 2013) are totally on the players. All that heat that’s on Alex and Gibby – they don’t deserve it. We should be getting a lot more heat as players, and that’s why the focus sould be on each individual showing up ready to go and playing better than they did last year.â€

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ting-system/U1FrWM12FW8iXfvQ7bThcM/story.html

Toronto, Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles Angels, Washington, Kansas City, and Colorado can’t afford to misfire this offseason without fear of significant changes in their front offices.

Jose Bautista, RF, Blue Jays — Rumors that Bautista could be dealt for pitching have persisted for a couple of offseasons but the Blue Jays haven’t wanted to break up the Bautista-Edwin Encarnacion dynamic in the middle of the order. The Jays are desperate for at least two starting pitchers and dealing Bautista may land them one. “It’s a name we’re hearing through backchannels right now, but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s available” said an NL general manager. Bautista was one of Farrell’s personal favorites in Toronto, however it’s doubtful the Blue Jays would deal within the division — even though the Red Sox have extra pitching.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
SCOTT FERGUSON tsn

This isn't a rumour, just a possibility. The Cincinnati Reds are still considering moving their smoke-throwing closer Aroldis Chapman into the starting rotation to replace 37-year-old Bronson Arroyo, who is likely gone as a free agent.
Chapman apparently isn't thrilled by this and wants to stay on as the Reds closer. However, if the Reds can change his mind, they would need some help in the pen.
This is where the Blue Jays come in. They could deal a couple of their surplus relievers to the Reds for 27-year-old righty Homer Bailey, he of two career no-hitters.
The Reds may consider dealing Bailey because he's due a healthy raise through arbitration this year after making $5.3 million last year. He can also become a free agent in 2015. Cincinnati also has lefty Tony Cingrani to plug into the rotation should they deal Bailey.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
SCOTT FERGUSON tsn

This isn't a rumour, just a possibility. The Cincinnati Reds are still considering moving their smoke-throwing closer Aroldis Chapman into the starting rotation to replace 37-year-old Bronson Arroyo, who is likely gone as a free agent.
Chapman apparently isn't thrilled by this and wants to stay on as the Reds closer. However, if the Reds can change his mind, they would need some help in the pen.
This is where the Blue Jays come in. They could deal a couple of their surplus relievers to the Reds for 27-year-old righty Homer Bailey, he of two career no-hitters.
The Reds may consider dealing Bailey because he's due a healthy raise through arbitration this year after making $5.3 million last year. He can also become a free agent in 2015. Cincinnati also has lefty Tony Cingrani to plug into the rotation should they deal Bailey.

I'm hoping we can either nab Bailer or Porcello for Janssen + to start fixing up our rotation a bit.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm hoping we can either nab Bailer or Porcello for Janssen + to start fixing up our rotation a bit.

Would you trade a top-end rotation arm for a closer? Of course not. If that's all it took to get Bailey, every team would make an offer.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
It doesn't sound right as an offer - but it does sound right that Bailey could be avail. (if Chapman agrees to start)
It would need to be a bigger deal, cue Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->