Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
He is described as a man-child on the ice. The type you constantly have to keep your head up for. Questions about his hockey sense. Will occasionally take himself out of position to make the big hit. A bit Matt Dumba-like.

Very high upside.

Dumba eh, I had the exact same vibes. Minus the cannon of a shot maybe. But he can work on that as strong as he is.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I'll put a wait and see on this one.. it sounds like an athlete with tools that they have to make a hockey player out of. They do love their gym rats, so I'm not surprised here.. I just liked some other D that went around this pick a lot more.
Yeah I get what you mean, the upside is he probably has a lot of growth potential in terms of his play so he could be a homerun if he puts it all together, but I guess he farther from a sure thing than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
any glaring deficiencies?

I would say he has the whole package in my opinion. he likes to do high risk high rewards play, so obviously it can put him in trouble, he also sometime puts himself out of the play trying to be too physical, so to me it's mostly polishing his game everywhere and translating it to the next level! these thing will come with maturity etc, Lets remember he's a august born kid... so still 17 year old and already strong like that!

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
With higher round picks, I'm always a bit iffy on taking these toolsy athletic types whose hockey sense come with question marks. I'm willing to wait but he's got lots to live up to with some of the Ds that went around the pick. Really hoped he'd step right to NCAA.

Reactions: HOPE

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I'll happily wait and see, I don't have enough exposure to the kid to make a justification on the pick.. I just really liked Knyazev, Koylachonok, Misyul and not only did we pass on them, we traded another pick away from them.. so it's probably one of the more strange drafts I've seen.

yeah wasn't too thrilled with the trading down part... feels like bergevin wants to show he's active... such a bad way to show it, especially when you end up trading a 4th for a 4th in the next year... lmao

after picking Struble i was torn appart between Dorofeyev and Nick Robertson, with drafting caufield i would have had an edge and gamble on Dorofeyev since we already have alot of guys under 5'10

Reactions: WeThreeKings

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
After watching some footage on Struble(LHD) I am quite impressed with his skating, shooting, breakouts either passes or skating. Also seems to play a good defensive game at his age, very similar to Matthew Dumba's game offensively in his draft year. With time to develop at Northeastern U. Struble could be a 2nd pairing Dman with 1st pairing possibilities, due to his talent alongside a nasty physical side with the athletic body type to back it up. Very happy the Habs drafted him, he plays with the same exuberance Nyazev does only with better abilities that will suit the NHL game. Wished the Habs could have drafted M.Robertson also whom the NYR's got with the 49th pick. Nathan Legare(RW) for Baie Comeau went to Pittsburgh at 74th a player I coveted, but the Habs got Norlinder(LHD)64th and Fairbrother(LHD)77th both good skaters that can join the rush and get back to defend!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy: Caufield(LW/C/RW) at 15th OV has all the attributes to become a gamechanging forward, so happy again with our draft haul.:arr::arr::arr::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

The Habs not only acquired the best goal scoring sniper, but loaded up their LHD corps with good quality Dmen with high NHL possibilities. Nice work Habs Scouting, Norlinder's play this season was outstanding helping Modo win the super elite championship, icetime 19;38 2nd only to Tobie Enstrom's
25;24 mins per game. Another steal probably due to their European Combine last year. Fairbrother slipped in rankings due to a separated shoulder last year, his play has been exemplary when healthy this year.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Have fun with some game involving Struble. No 3 - Whites. If you can stand the play-by-play guy.....good luck. You could find quite a few complete games on the net.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I pumped his tires a few times leading up to the draft as he has a very high ceiling. There are questions about his hockey sense but it is more about being difficult to read than it is evidence of a deficit.

The H.S. game is a relatively chaotic model when compared to more rigid systems that are typical of higher tier leagues. This means that different tactical approaches are used by idividuals and should not be viewed through the lens of NCAA or CHL critical analysis.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Timmins says he “should” be going to Northeastern in the fall. But then Struble himself mentioned the BCHL as a possibility as well. Hopefully the Habs brass really stresses the Northeastern option for obvious reasons. Might come down to academics if he can get into school this year, not sure. That’s just my own speculation.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Timmins says he “should” be going to Northeastern in the fall. But then Struble himself mentioned the BCHL as a possibility as well. Hopefully the Habs brass really stresses the Northeastern option for obvious reasons. Might come down to academics if he can get into school this year, not sure. That’s just my own speculation.

I am sure if it is an academic issue that the organization will find a way to resolve it.....

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

He's slated for NCAA 2020-2021 on EP, so I would guess it's either BCHL or QMJHL for him in 2019-2020.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
My main question mark about this prospect is the route he is taking. Prep this year and BCHL next season. That's not very high level of hockey. As far as i know he never played in any major international tournament either (could be wrong about this one). Then NCAA only in 2020-2021. Guy wont be ready before 2025. That's 6 years from now. For a mid 2nd round pick not sure i like it that much.

Maybe he is the type of player that needs the slow climb to the NHL to ease him in. If that makes him more comfortable and confident then he should do that. These guys are so young and pushing them too quickly out of their comfort zone can stunt their development.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In the interview, he said its still undecided on where he will play next season, but timmins said he will go to college in fall

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its a batting average bud, and even 0.300 is considered amazing in baseball.
People hit in the 1st rounds, people hit in the 2nd rounds, and people can hit in the 5th rounds like us for some reason
Go get everyones batting average in picks since 2007 before you make outlandish, unsubstantiated and wild accusations
TBH, if he doesnt hit here, he's lost me. Ive had it with his WTF out of left field picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->