Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I will say it again, he's our best prospect. He has what you can't teach.

Just hope he doesn't put too much weight as he age. Is it me or he looks somewhat slow? Very agile and mobile, but somewhat slow? Basically he's a Subban-like skater. If he gains too much weight he could be too slow and lose his mobility.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I will say it again, he's our best prospect. He has what you can't teach.

Just hope he doesn't put too much weight as he age. Is it me or he looks somewhat slow? Very agile and mobile, but somewhat slow? Basically he's a Subban-like skater. If he gains too much weight he could be too slow and lose his mobility.

There is lots to like with the style of game he plays and he is a athlete. I do think he has some similar qualities to Subban but dam it's way to early to say he is our best prospect. But I respect bold statements cause it's too easy to be passive and not stick your neck out where you might be usually wrong. But when your right, you deserve the credit

Being a defenseman in the NHL is not easy and a lot of raw skill guys struggle in the reliability and IQ areas. I like Struble in our prospect mix but he is a bust/boom type pick. Could be very very good or very disappointing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have him in my top 10 but no way is he our top prospect as he's not even the best Hab prospect on Northeastern. But there is a lot to like in his game, can see why they were interested in him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My bold prediction: he gets his first point in the NCAA this weekend

he's come close a few times as he does get some PP time and he's aggressive in the offensive zone but overall doesn't get a lot of TOI since he's on the 3rd pairing which is normal for an 18 year old blueliner as it's rare to see what Harris did last year to be on the top pairing at 18 on a top 15 team in the NCAA.

Reactions: Acadien86

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
he's come close a few times as he does get some PP time and he's aggressive in the offensive zone but overall doesn't get a lot of TOI since he's on the 3rd pairing which is normal for an 18 year old blueliner as it's rare to see what Harris did last year to be on the top pairing at 18 on a top 15 team in the NCAA.
Better learning experience for him to be playing 3rd pairing minutes with the Huskies as opposed to top pairing in the BCJHL at this point I think

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Better learning experience for him to be playing 3rd pairing minutes with the Huskies as opposed to top pairing in the BCJHL at this point I think

for sure, my point was more about how impressive what Harris did was. Struble is very much in a good spot, as he's on a top 20 team in the NCAA so they hopefully make the NCAA tournament again this year and they have a very good coaching staff. In fact one of their assistant coaches will once again coach for Team USA at the WJC's. On top of that they are in one of the two or three best conferences in the NCAA so he will face a number of NHL draft picks.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have him in my top 10 but no way is he our top prospect as he's not even the best Hab prospect on Northeastern. But there is a lot to like in his game, can see why they were interested in him.

I have a bias for homerun picks. I rank a prospect not on how likely he is to fulfill his potential, but on how high that potential is.

I know you can't just pick homeruns else you run the risk of having a cemetery of busts, but you only need one or two homeruns and it changes everything for your team. If Subban busted, we don't have Weber today, nor do we have a #1 when Subban was there. It changed everything for our team.

Chicago lucked out on the homerun pick Duncan Keith. It changed everything for them. Without him there is no mini-dynasty. Maybe they don't even win a single cup.

It only takes one or two. That's my reasoning for prefering homerun picks. The fate of a team is largely determined by such Black Swans.

Another example was Larry Robinson for us in 1971. Probably we still win many cups without him anyway, because we got Guy Lafleur which we had no business getting (thanks Sam Pollocks for the stolen 1st overall), but Robinson still dramatically increased our talent level and gave us the Big Three.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yea im lost on that comment too i guess Caufield doesnt exist

I'm also a big fan of the Caufield pick and he too has what you can't teach, but I just believe that if both reach their ceiling Struble will be a more valuable player than a sniper like Caufield. Still, Caufield is great no argument from me.

Reactions: habsfan891

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Rico Fata was the fastest skater the year he was drafted...it takes a whole lot more

I'm not talking about speed but fluidity and mobility. Struble doesnt look fast at all from the little Ive seen.

Also, on top his skating hes a natural athlete and very strong.

Reactions: dralaf

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm not talking about speed but fluidity and mobility. Struble doesnt look fast at all from the little Ive seen.

Also, on top his skating hes a natural athlete and very strong.
It remains to be seen whether he has the hockey sense needed to take advantage of his athleticism

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s a september ( before 15th) born player too!

I love this dart throw we made on Struble! Could bust but lots to like and if he pans out, we got a beast on the back end. Big boy that skates well and plays physical with some offensive upside.

Not expecting much this year but if he gains momentum as the season ends, that is very good news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad