Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
but there's more to it then that. That's just one aspect, the academic part is also huge and you have him going to a team that was top 10 ranked last year which often means they recruit well which means they need to have space for him as they don't want their top talent to not have enough playing time since once they are on the team there's no place to send them down to so if they can't get in the lineup then they just sit around watching. Northeastern has several incoming Freshman blueliners so perhaps they thought he wouldn't be ready on the academic side but I haven't heard why they wanted him for next year other then I know he had to take summer classes in order to get accepted this Fall.

"Academic part".... !!! Yeah, sure. Every kids going to College in the USA and being involved in their sports team is a "genius".... You know darn well it's a business. TV rights, sponsorships, etc... Huge $$$ making machine. Their best athletes will get a degree no matter what.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
"Academic part".... !!! Yeah, sure. Every kids going to College in the USA and being involved in their sports team is a "genius".... You know darn well it's a business. TV rights, sponsorships, etc... Huge $$$ making machine. Their best athletes will get a degree no matter what.

yes it's a business but it's not a huge money making machine compared to NCAA football and basketball. Academics are a big part of it, look at Pitlick, he has to play in the USHL or another lesser league because he has not graduated high school yet. There are various factors that go into this but clearly you don't know a lot about this.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

cut.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a terrible pick but not who I expected.

When it comes to drafting defensemen in the 2rd round, Timmins is king so I guess we'll see.

It's been a while since Subban.

But Brook and Romanov are looking good.

I think we're all a little pre-maturely high on Strubble because of Romanov and Brook. Let's see how he does in his first year in the ncaa for starters.

Remember Thrower, Carle, and - holly smokes, those 5 (Subban, Romanov, Brook, Thrower, and Carle) are the only other dmen Timmins has drafted in the second round. Brook (2017) was the first since Thrower back in 2012, who was the first since Subban in 2007.

I think Timmins should strongly stick to dmen in the 2nd round. If Brook and Romanov pan out, he's batting .600 (60%) before Struble.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He may just be our best prospect when looking at his skating and physical strenght.

I think he has the highest upside.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He may just be our best prospect when looking at his skating and physical strenght.

I think he has the highest upside.

The problem is you don't know how a kid is going to adjust when they start facing a much higher level of competition. He might crush it or not, it's just so hard to project. Look at Harris, what he did is certainly on the rare side as you just don't see that many kids that just turned 18 in the summer and then go on and play on a top pairing for a top team in the NCAA and then to do it all while undersized and on his off-side.

While Harris didn't play in the same league, he and Struble both played in very similar leagues that overall the leagues combined are known as the Northeastern Prep so they are playing teams that each has faced meaning Struble's team played some teams this year that played against Harris's former team. And it's one of the strongest leagues in the USHS system.

That said it's hard to see Struble coming in and actually doing better then Harris, yet he should since he's got the physical size and strength that Harris doesn't and he may not have to play on his off side depending on what they opt to do with their roster since they have a lot of options.

On the other hand even though Struble just turned 18 a few days ago, it wouldn't shock me if he is our best (or close) prospect in a year or two especially if Caufield is in the NHL in a year or two along with Brook, Suzuki and Poehling.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
The problem is you don't know how a kid is going to adjust when they start facing a much higher level of competition. He might crush it or not, it's just so hard to project. Look at Harris, what he did is certainly on the rare side as you just don't see that many kids that just turned 18 in the summer and then go on and play on a top pairing for a top team in the NCAA and then to do it all while undersized and on his off-side.

While Harris didn't play in the same league, he and Struble both played in very similar leagues that overall the leagues combined are known as the Northeastern Prep so they are playing teams that each has faced meaning Struble's team played some teams this year that played against Harris's former team. And it's one of the strongest leagues in the USHS system.

That said it's hard to see Struble coming in and actually doing better then Harris, yet he should since he's got the physical size and strength that Harris doesn't and he may not have to play on his off side depending on what they opt to do with their roster since they have a lot of options.

On the other hand even though Struble just turned 18 a few days ago, it wouldn't shock me if he is our best (or close) prospect in a year or two especially if Caufield is in the NHL in a year or two along with Brook, Suzuki and Poehling.
Is Struble expected to be available day 1 of NCAA season from his injury?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
@montreal I found a reddit post from last year saying that Northeastern streams its games for free. Where are they streamed? Are they still doing this?
I used to watch Northeastern alot in the last 2 years with their free stream, couldnt get bored to watch Primeau in net while Harris was nice to watch too... Now that Primeau is gone, Strubble comes in, so the games will be as interesting to watch, if not more...

Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->