Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by LastWordArmy, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet Registered User

I remember you pushing for Lee.

azcanuck and montreal like this.
  2. HABitual Fan

HABitual Fan Registered User

You couldn't be more wrong in what you wrote, or perhaps your info is outdated My son played both here in Canada and 2 years of Prep in the States. The level in Prep is very high, and can't be compared to Canadian High School hockey at all. There are no A and AA players playing varsity, those play on the junior varsity team and never even sniff a call-up.

As to the comparison with Midget AAA teams, it is logical that just based on the way the two are assembled that it will be huge the gap. Midget AAA are basically all-star teams who recruit and accept players on the team based on one criteria, and that is hockey. Prep school teams recruits have to also have the level of hockey, but must meet stringent academic acceptance criteria, and a cost of about 60,000 USD per year for the school.

I can only speak from my experience, my son was recruited from the RESQ by a coach. He was invited for a visit to the school. That was as far as the hockey part went, he had to go through the academic admission procedure, interviews ,all the essays etc... and only then did he find out if he was accepted. At the time of the application you express your desire to apply for financial aid, and send all the relevant info, tax returns, etc.. to an independent organization who advises the school of their recommendation. You are still in limbo until you get an answer from the school as to what they are willing to give. In our case they paid $56,000 per year. I am not naive to suggest that the coach doesn't have some influence on the financial aid decision for someone he really wants, but the academics are a completely different thing.

With the boom in US hockey the last few years they are less and less dependent on recruiting north of the border. The level of kids trying to get accepted into the various prep programs is huge, and as witnessed by the number of picks from the USNDT the kids that don't make it there, are still very talented and many of those play prep hockey. The travelling teams you speak of, are mainly just in the summer when the kids are off from prep or looking to prepare for the new season. Again what might have been true a few years ago has changed completely with the growth of US hockey.

azcanuck likes this.
  3. Estimated_Prophet

I was in no way referring to Canadian H.S. hockey as it is terrible. Most AAA teams would forbid their players from playing in the high school games.

I am still involved in AAA hockey and am also aware of the politics here and south of the border. There is a reason that American parents are sending their kids north to the GTHL to play AAA hockey from minor bantam to midget. This is where the most competitive leagues in the world are for those age groups.

I don't want to get into too much detail as I would rather not share too much personal information but I think too many people were crapping on AAA hockey when they don't seem to know what it is.

As far as academics are concerned, there is a direct relation to how badly they want the kid and how much they care about the academic side. It is a greasy business and the kids are sometimes the victims.

4. WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings #1 Centre

Me too

montreal likes this.
  5. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

Really liked this pick. In terms of pure upside, this kid has a ceiling in the stars. Timmins comped him to Macavoy, and that’s what I see as well. Dynamic rushing ability and the ability to mix it up physically as well. Definitely a gamble, but the Norlinder and Fairbrother picks covered for it.

azcanuck likes this.
  6. TheDogCerby

TheDogCerby Registered User

Struble shifts allegiance to Canadiens

7. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

Struble is a physical specimen. His skating is good. He's not some slow plodder out there. Those players dont play in the NHL anymore.
    I'm excited about his potential.

8. sergejean

sergejean Registered User

He indeed is. I wonder how long it takes hockey to catch up to other sports in terms of being played by "super athletes". Look at basketball for instance... unless you're a giant, there's little chance you ever make it to the NBA. Even baseball has evolved so much in the last decade. There's still exceptions out there but for the most part, all players are physical specimens.

9. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

yes and no. Hockey is moving to smaller players because of the speed of the game since the rule changes. Big slow guys cant play anymore.
    But if you watched the cup final the Bruins and Blues had some big guys so I'm happy to see the game still has that.

10. Tomas Tatahhh

Tomas Tatahhh Devil's Advocate

11. HOPE

HOPE Goal Caufield!

Brofessional Scout
    Confirmed, Struble just signed with NorthEastern University!

What a news! this will clearly Fastforward his developpement!

12. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I had heard he was taking summer classes but wasn't from anywhere official so glad that it's done now. Can't wait to see hoe he does.

larrypacman8167 and S Bah like this.
  13. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

no loophole either, so the Habs just have to sign him before his Senior year which shouldn't be a problem.

jaffy27 and HOPE like this.
  14. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

Official announcement by Northeastern:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  15. ProspectsFanatic

ProspectsFanatic KK

Scouting Prospects
    NCAA is a more suited level for Struble than the BCHL, good news.

WinterLion and Estimated_Prophet like this.
  16. dackelljuneaubulis02

dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

yeah lets see how he does against some good competition

17. Estimated_Prophet

I expect a slow start and some early growing pains but should begin to blossom in second half or next season.

dackelljuneaubulis02 likes this.
  18. dackelljuneaubulis02

dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

sounds about right. I like the raw upside. Hoping that he can adjust. He won't be a man among boys anymore so I hope the IQ's there to cope with that adjustment. Don't know if I've heard about his IQ specifically or not

Estimated_Prophet likes this.
  19. Estimated_Prophet

IQ is tough to evaluate in H.S. as there isn't enough structure to provide accurate analysis.

dackelljuneaubulis02 likes this.
  20. 1909

1909 Registered User

It would had been pointless to play in the BCHL.

21. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I wouldn't say pointless, it's very common for 18 year olds to spend a year in a feeder league before going to the NCAA. Most are due to needing a year to improve physically, others due to having to finish their Senior year (Pitlick falls into both). Other times there's just no room on the roster, which is usually just the top programs. With Struble he clearly didn't need a year to add mass or strength, he had to take summer classes so it could have been that and or they didn't think they would need him as they have a lot of D on the roster already although after the top 2 of Harris and Shea there's a lot of question marks and limited experience.

HOPE likes this.
  22. HOPE

HOPE Goal Caufield!

Brofessional Scout
    Clearly not the ideal to play in the BCHL, but i don't realy mind it all that much in a d-1 season, d+1 is kinda pushing it. the faster you face stronger adversity that isn't WAY above your capacity, it's common sense that you will get better faster, same goes with playing with better player! It's no surprise USA was so strong in this years class. A bunch of kids with talent playing with each other can only raise your skills level!

23. 1909

1909 Registered User

The kid is already physically ready to play at College level.

24. HOPE

HOPE Goal Caufield!

Brofessional Scout
    i know lol, i'm stating i'm not a fan of any player playing in the BCHL in a D+1 season, btw you don't need to convince me i'm extremely high on struble, wanted him month before he was drafted and i was saying i would pick him with our first 2nd round pick, if he had the exposure like the CHL kids he would have been drafted in the first round, i'm positive about this.

25. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

but there's more to it then that. That's just one aspect, the academic part is also huge and you have him going to a team that was top 10 ranked last year which often means they recruit well which means they need to have space for him as they don't want their top talent to not have enough playing time since once they are on the team there's no place to send them down to so if they can't get in the lineup then they just sit around watching. Northeastern has several incoming Freshman blueliners so perhaps they thought he wouldn't be ready on the academic side but I haven't heard why they wanted him for next year other then I know he had to take summer classes in order to get accepted this Fall.