Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw that Struble's D partner at STS was signed by the same team in the BCHL that he signed with, Victoria. Still haven't seen anything from the NCAA sites I use showing he's changed his commitment to next season.

So far I have watched 2 full games of his with one more to go, really like the passing, puck rushing, skating, speed, mobility. Clearly he wants to jump in on offense as much as possible, really do see the PK Subban comps as he reminds me of PK when he was a rover. In those two games I noticed some mistakes in his own end positionally but he's kind of all over the place in those games so not surprising. I also notice he wasn't moving his feet and coasting several times but he played a ton as the 2nd game I watched was for the ISL title (Independent School League) as his team was on the road vs the top team in the league.

Also had some trouble getting his shots through but in 2 games it's hard to say if that's a real problem or not as he had to be a main target as the leading scorer on his team and one of the few ranked by central scouting in the ISL.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Great info/scouting report as usual! Cheers!

Excited about Struble and his skating/speed/mobility/puck rushing/passing. Should be a very entertaining dman to watch.

Between now and 1-2yrs (more or less):

Romanov - Juulsen
Struble - Brook
Fleury

Last edited:

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal

Excited about Struble and his skating/speed/mobility/puck rushing/passing. Should be a very entertaining dman to watch.

Romanov - Juulsen
Struble - Brook
Fleury
In 2 years:

Romanov - Brook
Mete - Weber
Struble - Fleury

Reactions: dralaf

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Where was he ranked in the scouting lists? And where was he ranked before his godly numbers in the combine?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No summer development camp for Struble. Sucks that his injury is somewhat more serious than we thought. Yet, never heard anything from management.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Romanov - Juulsen
Struble - Brook
Fleury

It's impossible to say just yet when Struble will be ready to turn pro, I would never have thought Harris would look so good, be on the top pairing at 18 and all while on his off-side. That said until we see Struble in the NCAA we can only guess as to how well he will do there assuming he's actually there next year.

Has it been confirmed where Stuble will play next year yet?

no officially, so far all the sites that track NCAA recruits have him listed as a '20 Freshman but somewhere I saw he was taking classes to be able to go next next but that wasn't anything official so they could be wrong.

Where was he ranked in the scouting lists? And where was he ranked before his godly numbers in the combine?

I'd have to look it up but in one of the games I just watched that was from early Feb, they said he was slated to be a 3rd round pick based off his ranking which I assume was CSB.

No summer development camp for Struble. Sucks that his injury is somewhat more serious than we thought. Yet, never heard anything from management.

that does suck, not that I thought he would make the team but would be good experience for him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I saw that Struble's D partner at STS was signed by the same team in the BCHL that he signed with, Victoria. Still haven't seen anything from the NCAA sites I use showing he's changed his commitment to next season.

So far I have watched 2 full games of his with one more to go, really like the passing, puck rushing, skating, speed, mobility. Clearly he wants to jump in on offense as much as possible, really do see the PK Subban comps as he reminds me of PK when he was a rover. In those two games I noticed some mistakes in his own end positionally but he's kind of all over the place in those games so not surprising. I also notice he wasn't moving his feet and coasting several times but he played a ton as the 2nd game I watched was for the ISL title (Independent School League) as his team was on the road vs the top team in the league.

Also had some trouble getting his shots through but in 2 games it's hard to say if that's a real problem or not as he had to be a main target as the leading scorer on his team and one of the few ranked by central scouting in the ISL.
The coasting and shot thing is ultimately why I left him off my top 50, that, and the weak competition. Had he done the same thing in a level ot two higher, he wouldve made it but the shooting thing and the coasting were red flags. At times I thought he shouldve been a top 40 pick but other times he looked toolsy but lacking.

What worries me about his shot isnt that hes bad in technique or whatever as ive seen him rip a few ones in, but hes rather random in his shot selection, I cant say hes a smart player, but that may just be USHS play transpiring, much like the BCHL

Reactions: montreal

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Still, US prep hockey is quite a cut above Friday night high school hockey in butt****, Canada

the reality its just above midget AAA

and way way below chl

so temper expectations

he had easily more than 40-50 lbs average
vs opponents. HUGE advantage as a D

next year will be a good test

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
the reality its just above midget AAA

and way way below chl

so temper expectations

he had easily more than 40-50 lbs average
vs opponents. HUGE advantage as a D

next year will be a good test

His upside is somewhere between more physical Beaulieu and Subban, depending on how the mental follows the body.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Still, US prep hockey is quite a cut above Friday night high school hockey in butt****, Canada

Not true at all....

Most the players on Sruble's team would be hard pressed to make a midget AAA team. He is playing on an American H.S. team, many of those kids would never have played higher than AA in Canada and some are only A players.

I am a big fan of Struble and lobbied for us to take him but it is tough to find a lower level of hockey that the NHL drafts from than where we plucked Struble from.

Midget AAA of course is not as relatively strong as any other AAA age group due to graduation from Minor Midget AAA to Junior but most of these kids have spent their recent seasons in AAA hockey as well.

We do have to account for a slightly higher average age in U.S. Prep but to outright dismiss Midget AAA hockey in B.C. as inferior to all U.S. Prep hockey is just plain wrong.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Not true at all....

Most the players on Sruble's team would be hard pressed to make a midget AAA team. He is playing on an American H.S. team, many of those kids would never have played higher than AA in Canada and some are only A players.

I am a big fan of Struble and lobbied for us to take him but it is tough to find a lower level of hockey that the NHL drafts from than where we plucked Struble from.

Midget AAA of course is not as relatively strong as any other AAA age group due to graduation from Minor Midget AAA to Junior but most of these kids have spent their recent seasons in AAA hockey as well.

We do have to account for a slightly higher average age in U.S. Prep but to outright dismiss Midget AAA hockey in B.C. as inferior to all U.S. Prep hockey is just plain wrong.
Are you basing the bold on anything in particular? I know nothing of either league, but that sounds like a huge stretch.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Are you basing the bold on anything in particular? I know nothing of either league, but that sounds like a huge stretch.

I base it on being part of the GTHL for years and knowing that the only American teams that can play with our AAA teams are All star squads. We annihilate most of their prep schools.

The U.S. has a very different approach to minor hockey as they are more focused on assembling a smaller number of elite travelling teams as opposed to spreading their top talent throughout tiered leagues like Canada does.

The result is that most prep teams other than the elite few are left with the remains that have been picked through. This dilution coupled with weaker feeder leagues leaves a lot of room for lesser players to find spots on these teams. Kids that would be the equivalent of A and AA players find themselves on teams that should only have AAA level players.

Like I said earlier, there is an equalizer when you get to Midget in Canada because most of the elite kids leave after minor midget to go to Junior. At the end of the day though Canadian Midget AAA teams are primarily made of players who have primarily played AAA hockey. Most American prep teams do not boast the same quality of depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Tricolore

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I base it on being part of the GTHL for years and knowing that the only American teams that can play with our AAA teams are All star squads. We annihilate most of their prep schools.

The U.S. has a very different approach to minor hockey as they are more focused on assembling a smaller number of elite travelling teams as opposed to spreading their top talent throughout tiered leagues like Canada does.

The result is that most prep teams other than the elite few are left with the remains that have been picked through. This dilution coupled with weaker feeder leagues leaves a lot of room for lesser players to find spots on these teams. Kids that would be the equivalent of A and AA players find themselves on teams that should only have AAA level players.

Like I said earlier, there is an equalizer when you get to Midget in Canada because most of the elite kids leave after minor midget to go to Junior. At the end of the day though Canadian Midget AAA teams are primarily made of players who have primarily played AAA hockey. Most American prep teams do not boast the same quality of depth.

9 out of 10 times
top prep teams will beat top midget AAA teams in canada

not saying that midget AAA are weak but age and size are different to start with

anyways lets see how he does next year in a league that his drafted peers are also playing in
thats the true projection

certainly as i said , not projecting based partly on a lower high school level league vs other drafted peers who last year played chl/ushl/jrA

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
They were comparing US Prep school hockey to Canadian HS hockey and saying it's better because the best Canadian hockey players go through the Midget AAA to Jr.A/CHL pipeline instead of playing high school.

Idk saying these guys would struggle to crack Midget AAA seems to be a real stretch to me. There's 11 guys on his team with NCAA commitments already, a 15 year old that's going NTDP U17 next year, a bunch more going BCHL or USHL next year, and so on. Sure the low end of the roster aren't guys with bright futures in hockey but the same is true of the bottom end of a Midget AAA/BCHL or even CHL roster.

It's not Jr. A or USHL or CHL hockey sure, but to say these guys are borderline Midget AA is really underselling it. How many Midget AA or AAA teams have 11 guys who get drafted to the CHL or have NCAA commitments?

Reactions: Andrei79

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
9 out of 10 times
top prep teams will beat top midget AAA teams in canada

not saying that midget AAA are weak but age and size are different to start with

anyways lets see how he does next year in a league that his drafted peers are also playing in
thats the true projection

certainly as i said , not projecting based partly on a lower high school level league vs other drafted peers who last year played chl/ushl/jrA

Struble doesn't play for a top prep team and even the top prep teams do not come close to taking 9/10 from top AAA teams. Obviously Shattuck and Honeybaked are very elite teams but they are more like prep all star squads. I have been to enough tournaments where the American teams are run over by top AAA teams.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
people need to temper down expectations

he played highschool hockey last year

you never know if that player is going to continue to progress or not but that's the same for every 17 year old. That said it's always an added risk when you take a player that played against lesser competition. Some were just a big fish in a small pond and once they move up they get exposed.

The one player we can look at is Jordan Harris, they weren't in the same league but at least one team that Struble faced played against Harris's team this year so we know they are playing the same level of comp. Harris while undersized and turning 18 after the draft went in and was able to not only be a full time player but to be on the top pairing while playing on his off-side.

Granted who knows what Harris ends up being but Struble put up better numbers and clearly has the physical advantage. Now Harris was able to do what you just don't see that often in the NCAA for 18 year old defensemen but can Struble repeat that feat.

I can't speak to midget AAA but I did play in the USHS a long time ago and I have watched a number of USHS games over the years. I know many won't believe me but on this board I was the first person to bring up Anders Lee. I saw him play for STA which isn't a big time program in the Minnesota USHS, I pushed so hard for us to draft him but he went undrafted his first year due to how highly rated he was in football as a QB, to think we could have picked in the 7th round, oh well. It was back when I used to do a lot more work with scouting for the draft.

I also got to see McDonagh play in the USHS for CDH, thanks to Grant telling me about him months before the draft. I posted links last year and this year to full games of Harris and Struble that anyone could watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad