Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Reminds me in some ways of the Chelios pick. Even the same round.
Chelios was a raw talent from San Diego. I''m sure lots were shaking their head at the selection at the time.
This kid is high risk/high reward. He surely did not play in great competition but for what he brings to the table it's less of a worry. He's an alpha male ala Weber and we can use some of that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Better than Romanov and Brook in terms of ceiling ??

it's too early to say as he has yet to face a high level of competition. The USHS Northeastern prep league has churned out many NHLers over the years but until you see them play against a higher level it's a wait and see. If you had told me this time last year that Harris who while clearly smaller/skinner then Struble but in a very similar situation in that both played in the USHS Northeastern prep league and both turned 18 just before the NCAA season started (July for Harris, Sept for Struble) that he would go on to be on the top pairing at 18 on a top 10 team in the NCAA I would never have believed it let alone while on his off-side.

So now the question is can Struble come in and play better then Harris. I don't know him yet, but honestly I don't expect it as Harris was just so good that it's hard to think they hit back to back home runs. Now who knows what Harris will turn into due to his lack of size but he's very much in the Mete mold and just plays such a smart, mistake free game that it's hard to think Struble will be able to do even better. But that's why they play and we watch/follow along. There will always be surprises and disappointments. It sounds like this years draft outside a certain number wasn't that strong, so we'll just have to wait and see how he does. I should get to see a lot him next season.

Reactions: Tyson and jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Better than Romanov and Brook in terms of ceiling ??

I mean I hope he’s right, and if that’s the case câlines we are so so so set!!! :laugh:

I’m really intrigued with this prospect.....like if this guy can reach his ceiling it’s gonna be fun to watch, same with Romanov and Brook

I think he's definitely the toolsiest of our D prospects for sure. As great as Romanov and Brook are neither can really wow you with anything in their games in particular. Not hating on them AT ALL and despite that they still have pretty high ceilings but neither of them can be game breakers imo. I just don't know if Struble has the creativity or the shot or the mind to make him a true blue #1. The other things seem to be there.

Reactions: Locks and jaffy27

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Like him. Plays physical. Good skater. Has offensive skill.

I don't like that he's playing BCHL next year. He played prep this year. Then BCHL then NCAA? We're not seeing this kid for at least 4 years. That kind of development path is usually for mid-rounders.
The fact that he still got picked in the second round despite that 4 years of school is telling. This kid is going to be a great NHLer.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I dunno about the McAvoy and Nurse comparisons but I get some PK vibes with him watching those clips. Maybe it’s just me.
I see him end up being halfway between Byfuglien and Emelin, not as strong as Buf and not as devastating a hitter as Emelin but good enough for us. A #4 or a #5 guy for me. Happy with the pick, fills a need if he ends up panning out.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Wow Good vid. I know it's just a small video....but not sure where the lack of IQ is all about....
He looks like a #1 LD.

Chiarot at 3.5 mil will be a nice blockage for him and Romanov. Bergevin is an idiot, he can’t help himself.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He looks like a #1 LD.

Chiarot at 3.5 mil will be a nice blockage for him and Romanov. Bergevin is an idiot, he can’t help himself.

Not really. When those guys come in they will be on entry level contracts making a 3.5M contract even easier to swallow. Also Struble will probably not see any NHL games until after that contract is done... or if all goes way better than expected in the last year when trading Chiarot will be easy.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He looks like a #1 LD.

Romanov will be replacing Reilly and/or Kulak

Struble will replace Chiarot IF all goes well

Harris will fit in well also

Log jam is on the right side with Weber and Petry with Juulsen/Brook/Fleury all knocking at the door

Good problems to have :)

Reactions: HankyZetts

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
He looks like a #1 LD.

Do you think Romanov or Struble will play this year? That Bergevin should have put that pressure on their shoulder, that they better be ready because he didn't bring ANY help at all? And do you really think Chiarot play the same role? He's hitting and blocking shot. He's taking Benn place, and will be a stopgap until we have a better LD, or if Mete-Kulak-Olofsson-Reilly grow this summer. Chiarot will play on the 3rd pair in that case.

Something else Bergevin is good at is creating intern competition. People give him sh*t for signing a couple of depth players, but I think it's great (and under rated). Our bottom-6 is always working because they know someone is pushing for their spot. He's doing the same thing here. Last year, he was unfortunate because I think Olofsson would have been on the same level as Reilly and maybe Kulak/Mete.

At the end of the day, the only way Chiarot will steal a spot from Struble in the next 3 years, it's in the "handsome" depth chart of the team.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Romanov will be replacing Reilly and/or Kulak

Struble will replace Chiarot IF all goes well

Harris will fit in well also

Log jam is on the right side with Weber and Petry with Juulsen/Brook/Fleury all knocking at the door

Good problems to have :)
We should hold on to Kulak, he’s very very solid and does everything well, you will see next year how good he will be. Last year he was steadily improving. I wish we didn’t sign Chiarot, I would rather give Kulak 3.5
Mete I don’t care much for.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
He looks like a #1 LD.

Struble will be ready at the realistic earliest in two years. There's a expansion draft that year which means it's likely a lot of movement and Seattle could take a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->