Jay-Bo appreciation thread

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I just wanted to start a thread about Jay Bouwmeester and the solid play he brings to our top pairing. He makes up half of one of the best pairings in the NHL, His skating allows him to recover from his mistakes, and his conditioning allows him to play huge minutes.

I still can't believe we got him for what we did. He was way underrated at the time of the trade due to his salary and the Flames lack of success during his tenure. I'm very happy to have him in a Blues' sweater.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Great thread. I'm a huge Jay Bouw fan. The guy is an excellent player. His combo of size, skating, and intelligence is remarkable. He positions himself well to make good defensive plays and can jump into the offense with his speed while making it so easy.

We're lucky to have the top pairing that we do. They control the game out there and it's awesome.

Very happy with the trade, I thought we got him for cheap. The only valuable thing IMO was the first-rounder, but Bouwmeester is more valuable to this team than a draft choice at this point.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Hopefully he has a monster year this year and can prove everyone how good of a player he really is. But then they will just contribute his success to "Well Pietrangelo is his partner."

I also love the people who say he isn't physical. The guy shoves everyone around and is a great crease clearer.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I just wanted to start a thread about Jay Bouwmeester and the solid play he brings to our top pairing. He makes up half of one of the best pairings in the NHL, His skating allows him to recover from his mistakes, and his conditioning allows him to play huge minutes.

I still can't believe we got him for what we did. He was way underrated at the time of the trade due to his salary and the Flames lack of success during his tenure. I'm very happy to have him in a Blues' sweater.

Spot on, it's amazing Flames GM Feaster still has a job, and with Brian Burke there now it shouldn't be much longer.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I'm loving the trade right now. At first I thought Cundari looked really good with the Flames and I regretted trading him, but then he didn't even make the flames roster out of camp this year and I immediately feel better.

I'm excited to see him, for a long time!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When people say Jaybo I soft, I wonder if people think the majority of the NHL is soft.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I was pumped when i saw how quick some of our transitions were last night. It going to make for a plethora of odd man rushes. :handclap::handclap:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
When people say he's soft, he's no more or less soft that Petro, Shatty, MacInnis, Housley, Coffey, Bourgue and Lidstrom.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I've got to be honest, I was pretty anti-Bouwmeester before the trade. This was largely due to his contract and what I thought it would take to get him out of Calgary. But for what we gave up, how he compliments Petro, and now that he's got an more cap friendly extension I couldn't be happier about him wearing the bluenote. Great move by Army.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
It's hard to complain about a guy who's always a part of the play. That skating and reach give him so much ability to jump into the the zone and get right where he needs to be to effect the play. He doesn't necessarily have a big impact when he's there, but that's one guy you can never let your eyes off of.

Either way I'm just excited to have Colaiacovo off our freaking PP, he can fumble the puck on someone else's point for the rest of his career.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Apparently at some point tonight he had a shift that went like 1:56 and got back to the bench and was totally good and not winded at all.

Just ridiculous conditioning.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
[QnUOTE=Mike Liut;72008151]When people say he's soft, he's no more or less soft that Petro, Shatty, MacInnis, Housley, Coffey, Bourgue and Lidstrom.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to nit-pick, but every D-man you mentioned was/is a two-way player except for Housley. ( I'm kind of iffy on Coffey, too, but I'll give you that.) Phil Housley actually shied away from physical contact. He was a perfect example of a one-dimensional, offense only player. Jaybo is a much more complete player now than Housley ever was.

illninofan*

Hopefully he has a monster year this year and can prove everyone how good of a player he really is. But then they will just contribute his success to "Well Pietrangelo is his partner."

I also love the people who say he isn't physical. The guy shoves everyone around and is a great crease clearer.

THIS.

He's no Chris Pronger, but his physical game shouldn't be overlooked and he only helps further the Blues' reputation as a big, physical, hard-working team.

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
So, we've all heard the analysts say the J-Bo has an outside chance of making team Canada, and we've all heard everyone else say "oh, that's a nice thought"...

Among Canadian defensemen, he is tied for 3rd in total points (with a certain Blues defenseman... If you can't guess who this is, GET OUT!). The drop off the fifth in points is by 4 points, a pretty major gap at this point in the season.

Also, his plus minus is the best? (Can't remember for sure, but I think it's true) among Canadian D-men, and with Petro having a potential Norris year, it only makes sense to stick the two of them on a line together since the have the chemistry and are two of the very best D-men in the league right now.

Also, Hitch is a coach. GO J-BO!!!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He should make it. He's playing great hockey.

Nice job by him to step up on McGinn which led to Backes' goal. He's soo soft though. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->