GDT: Jay Beagle vs Blue Jackets 11/11/14 7:00 EST

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Some really really nice plays among the forwards last night:

- Beags' beauty of a drop pass to Ovi
- Beags had another nice backhand pass to Ovi on a 2-on-1 than Ovi should've scored on
- Latta's saucer pass to Wardo

How come when I have time to watch a game we lose?

How have we looked on the winning streak?

They look awesome till they have a 2 goal lead. They are still learning how to win. As sad as that sounds, I think its true.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
How come when I have time to watch a game we lose?

How have we looked on the winning streak?

You stay away.

honestly? we look worse than when we lost, but we win. We seem to slack a lot with a lead still and let the teams back in it, Holtby and Peters still swiss cheese. They'll stop some good shots then left soft ones in. We have been getting some bounces our way though which has been the difference maker IMO.

Mojo has been fantastic.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought the MJ drop pass was as good as Beagles.

Last year, MJ crumbles up on the boards after the drop pass, in no position to do anything, literally. This year, with confidence and a center, he kept skating. All great passers give you the puck back right away which keep the defense and goalie scrambling. Bura puts it on the tape and MJ wraps it home for an easy goal. One of my favorite goals on the year so far.

Moving laterally with speed is a back breaker for goalies, even behind the net. Flip flopping their head left and right.

Last edited by a moderator:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Positioning is something the entire team has been pretty good at this year. I think that had been Trotz's focus.

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
Tough game to evaluate. We could've easily won by 4-5 if we could make an empty netter and we easily could've lost by a goal or two. But a win is a win and that's all I really care about at this point.

8-19-43
90-65-20
25-92-42
83-87-46

More of this^

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is it wrong to pissed at Brouwer for his lame duck "safe" clear up 2 with a minute left? He had Bura wide open at the blue in front of him, and he chipped to center, they came right back in attacking. Then he clears it right to a Bluebird before they took their game ending penalty.

#PadTheStats!

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The Caps looked good against Columbus. Burakovsky has been the most important addition this year. He is a terrific hockey player. Niskanen and Orpik have solidified the D.

Mojo's goals were good—he is playing a lot better this year. I still don't like how he plays. I don't hate him by any means but I think I'll always want to trade him. Ovie's offense is sharp. I didn't like how low Backstrom played on the 5 on 3 power play. If he were a little higher he would have the option to shoot which it'd open up a ton of ice. But, it worked anyway.

I thought it was a good win.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Is it wrong to pissed at Brouwer for his lame duck "safe" clear up 2 with a minute left? He had Bura wide open at the blue in front of him, and he chipped to center, they came right back in attacking. Then he clears it right to a Bluebird before they took their game ending penalty.

#PadTheStats!

Agree with you. There a sine line between being responsible and playing scared. Since they sucked from about 1/2 way through the second until nearly the same point in the third, he probably was scared. But they need to learn to drive the dagger in. If they do that they won't make plays like that and won't have to worry so much late in games. If you have a chance to score without being needlessly risky, take it. Build a killer instinct instead of being afraid.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Tough game to evaluate. We could've easily won by 4-5 if we could make an empty netter and we easily could've lost by a goal or two. But a win is a win and that's all I really care about at this point.

8-19-43
90-65-20
25-92-42
83-87-46

More of this^

Chimmer look like poop this year IMO. He creates penalties, fans on shots, and has stone hands. Put F16 on that third line and Chimmer in the press box.

Vladiator16*

The Caps looked good against Columbus. Burakovsky has been the most important addition this year. He is a terrific hockey player. Niskanen and Orpik have solidified the D.

Mojo's goals were good—he is playing a lot better this year. I still don't like how he plays. I don't hate him by any means but I think I'll always want to trade him. Ovie's offense is sharp. I didn't like how low Backstrom played on the 5 on 3 power play. If he were a little higher he would have the option to shoot which it'd open up a ton of ice. But, it worked anyway.

I thought it was a good win.

Really? Its kind of opposite for me, before i didn't care about Mojo one way or the other, but now i think he is one of most improved players not only on our team, but around the league. He is a lot more creative then people give him credit for, and executes clever little things at high speed a lot better, then i remember, at least to this point of the season. Like RH said, that wraparound goal was a beauty, and his first goal going to the net the way he did was't bad either.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Really? Its kind of opposite for me, before i didn't care about Mojo one way or the other, but now i think he is one of most improved players not only on our team, but around the league. He is a lot more creative then people give him credit for, and executes clever little things at high speed a lot better, then i remember, at least to this point of the season. Like RH said, that wraparound goal was a beauty, and his first goal going to the net the way he did was't bad either.

I've been super impressed with his board work and puck protection. How did he suddenly flip that switch, and can he teach what he's learned to Kuzya?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
2nd and 4th line have been pretty consistent. 1st and 3rd have been more up and down. Don't know how anyone can bash Bura, Mojo or the 4th line guys so far.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

I'm not a big Mojo believer at this point. He does look a lot better this year. If he can score 30 goals a couple times I'll change my mind. He's a great skater—I just don't love the decisions he makes with the puck.

I don't think anyone on the team deserves bashing this year. We have holes but no one seems to be mailing it in.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Agree with you. There a sine line between being responsible and playing scared. Since they sucked from about 1/2 way through the second until nearly the same point in the third, he probably was scared. But they need to learn to drive the dagger in. If they do that they won't make plays like that and won't have to worry so much late in games. If you have a chance to score without being needlessly risky, take it. Build a killer instinct instead of being afraid.

You show absolutely no faith in your own faceoff skills, and that of your teammates, when you do not at least try to score an ENG. Afraid of a faceoff in your own zone up 2 scores with a minute left. Really? And you show no confidence in your goalie.

Yet they are attacking in your zone 5 seconds later anyways with a chip to center like Brouwers, but its widely applauded as a smart play. No chance at winning a faceoff and gaining possession; at home no less.

And you also show no faith in being able to shoot accurately, and as you said, show no killer instinct. We let teams mill around, only bad things will happen.

I actually miss the days of Ovi being out late in the game, and whipping empty pucks into the net to end the game. Setting off the mains was the icing on the cake. I seem to remember he rarely to never missed and took "the dreaded icing."

Long time fans remember icing was used without fear by teams to end games, league wide, for decades.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
.... Like RH said, that wraparound goal was a beauty, and his first goal going to the net the way he did was't bad either.

Back in my somewhat self proclaimed illustrious roller street punk career, when I would work the drop, I would always drive the net. A dman would always confront me, and I would gladly accept and make sure I pin or lift his stick, and get a screen lined up.

MJ drove the net. Of course being a bit of a perimeter player he drove wide and it worked beautifully.

When is the last time we had a guy score after a drop pass, Maybe 5 years? Its really a basic play. Follow me in and get ready.

Its such a simple play anyone can do it, and hope to see it more. And I will say it again, Bura is a great passer. I would love to see Bura get some shifts with Ovi.

Huge shake up / drinking lines.

Ovi Bura MJ | Ward Backstrom Kuz

EDIT. One time playing in a floor league in college I tried that move and drove at a hulking RD missing his front tooth. He pitchforked me as I held my stick down as if my life depended on it, and he flipped me up and over.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
What I found special about Mojo's 2nd goal was the way he opened himself up to receive a return pass even before he got behind the net while still moving, which enabled him to receive the pass while moving, thereby getting himself to the wraparound post well before McIlheny. So many guys - even most NHLers - would have skated to the back of the net with their back to the play and then stopped and turned to face the play - making it hard to receive the pass and harder still to get to the wraparound post before the goalie. It was really an elite-level play.

He and Bura have really had something special so far this year - they've been fun to watch in the same way Semin was fun too watch on his non-maddening nights.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Drop passes are easy. Heck Ovi maybe led the league without trying one year.

The key is the return pass from Bura hitting MJ in stride on the blade. A crisp pass that the RD cannot get. The goalie sells even harder on the wrong post. The wrap itself is easy, it just needs to be done with speed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
2nd and 4th line have been pretty consistent. 1st and 3rd have been more up and down. Don't know how anyone can bash Bura, Mojo or the 4th line guys so far.

its just sort of overall funny. the team wins. third win in a row. after the second win it was an ovechkin bashfest. here we go straight to changing the lines up.

Vladiator16*

its just sort of overall funny. the team wins. third win in a row. after the second win it was an ovechkin bashfest. here we go straight to changing the lines up.

1. Only a ****ing asshats were bashing OV, who gives a ****.
2. Under BT lines are being changed regardless of win or loss. So why not speculate?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If he can score 30 goals a couple times I'll change my mind.

Really? A couple of 30 goal seasons will change your mind? That is roughly top 15-20 in the league in goals. And if he does this twice then you'll change your mind?

Give me a break. Why don't you just say you don't like the player and will never change your mind no matter how well he plays...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->