Recalled/Assigned: Jason Zucker (Jan 1: Re-called from Iowa)

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
I agree with BEAR.
WE have to get bigger--Zucker, Granlund, Haula, Fontaine etc--wont work.
On left side where Zucker plays Lucia and Buss are bigger bodies that are coming.
Not to mention that Zucker has 1 point and is a negative 5 in his last 8 games, has been outplayed lately by Haula,Phillips, Bulmer in Iowa. So yes IMO, this callup is an audition.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
for the wild's sake i hope he plays great and gets a goal or something...if it truly is a trade showcase

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
With the way this team is playing it would be hard to "unload" Parise's contract if he did not have previous years to show case how good he really is.

Zucker scoring or not scoring is not a problem with me. No one is doing anything special.

If we do trade Zucker is our hope to get older and slower? Zucker is nothing special at this point. At soon to be 22 he has some room/time to grow. He is a transition on the fly player. Cullen was the best thing to happen to Zucker. He does not fit with any center we have, not totally familar with Iowa, but maybe not in our entire system.

The only trade i see is getting rid of Heatley. He is off the books next year any way. Why package a guy luke Zucker for most likely a simular aged player to Heatley with more years left on a bad contract. Brian Cambpell.

To get a Vanek it would take Healty + a 1st, Zucker and Dumba? Then you re-sign Vanek and have less to throw at Granlund, Brodin, Coyle in the future. A lot of money tied up in Suter, Parise, Vanek, Pommer for a long time. If it is a rental why lose three pieces of the future.

On his own i see Zucker getting us nothing special to even bother a show case.

Zucker has the work ethic to become a speedy third line defensive pest that will make you pay in transition. I'll keep him around unless its a package deal that brings us something special. But anohter prospect from another team in a simular situtaion where they cannot break through but are not written off yet. I do not want that.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
Ha, same here.

I don't think he has a future here. Our top-6 wings are already:

Parise, Niederreiter, Coyle, Pominville

It's simple, he has no place.

In this NHL, successful teams dont have just two dangerous lines. The Blues's third lines of Morrow and Sobotka are outscoring majority of our team and we've seen first hand how they can make us pay. Myself, I'd be glad that we have a Zucker option for the third line down the road. The Wild need to quit the idea that we have two scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 useless 4th energy line. It simply doesn't get enough done.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
In this NHL, successful teams dont have just two dangerous lines. The Blues's third lines of Morrow and Sobotka are outscoring majority of our team and we've seen first hand how they can make us pay. Myself, I'd be glad that we have a Zucker option for the third line down the road. The Wild need to quit the idea that we have two scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 useless 4th energy line. It simply doesn't get enough done.

How about no. Zucker is a liability defensively and is having a bad season even in the AHL this year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
How about no. Zucker is a liability defensively and is having a bad season even in the AHL this year.

Second on the team in goals = terrible? We have nothing on the farm then. While going up and down and not getting proper time to get used to his linemates.

Just last year he was second in scoring and lead them in goals. While playing 9 less games than current NHLer Fontaine. Kid is 21. Almost a year younger than Haula.

This is year is hurting all around. Don't throw in the towel on everything we have.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
I think we will see very hungry Zucker today. Hits, shots and hopefully point(s). Go Zucker!

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota

THat's a quick leap to closing the book on a talented player at 21 just because he's been in a state of constant flux this season. Everyone says we need speed and shoot first. I think even if he ends up as secondary scoring, we need that.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Even Fletcher bluntly called Zucker's season this year 'average'.

He has dropped off significantly. Not the same player we saw last year.

brainfreeze

Jul 12, 2012
Bemidji
THat's a quick leap to closing the book on a talented player at 21 just because he's been in a state of constant flux this season. Everyone says we need speed and shoot first. I think even if he ends up as secondary scoring, we need that.

Agree, way too early to give up on the kid.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I always like these KID lines and i think that this line could have some potential. We have creativity, big body and a guys that can shoot the puck and i think that Granlund and Nino's defensive game is good enough to make this line work.

Usually this young players know how to play together, they are same ages, they usually think about the same way..
I hope that Yeo gives this line at least couple of games and if it works, lines could look like this

Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Zucker-Granlund-Niederreiter
Cooke-Coyle-Fontaine/Heatley
Mitchell-Broziak-Fontaine/Heatley.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nice to see Zucker score! How was his performance otherwise?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Nice to see Zucker score! How was his performance otherwise?

He was skating fast and him and Nino definitely were meshing quite well. The one thing I've always noticed about Zucker is his puck possession is a little suspect. Nino doesn't have that problem. Ero, we could have a very lethal combo on the wings considering Nino can shoot and pass, and Zucker has a very accurate wrist shot. Just needs a solid center who can help utilize that better.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
He was skating fast and him and Nino definitely were meshing quite well. The one thing I've always noticed about Zucker is his puck possession is a little suspect. Nino doesn't have that problem. Ero, we could have a very lethal combo on the wings considering Nino can shoot and pass, and Zucker has a very accurate wrist shot. Just needs a solid center who can help utilize that better.

Thanks. Wasn't Granlund centering that line? Did he look good with Zucker?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Thanks. Wasn't Granlund centering that line? Did he look good with Zucker?

Yep. The issue is that won't be the trend going forward once Zach comes back. The lines will get all meshed up again, and Coyle will return to the top line most likely.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Yep. The issue is that won't be the trend going forward once Zach comes back. The lines will get all meshed up again, and Coyle will return to the top line most likely.

Okay, thanks!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Buffalo had no idea what to do with Zucker's speed. He forced Nino and Granlund to skate up to his level. It was great to see.

Also...that goal. Holy crap. Pure speed, pulls the puck in, leans into the stick, snipes it up top. Just gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Forget whether or not he's ready for the NHL...is there any other forward on this roster who looks nearly as exciting as Zucker does? I see shades of Gaborik. Not the same level of talent, but the excitement level.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Fantastic goal and game by Zucker ones again!

The excitement your talking about is absolutely there..

He jumps likes a bunny after every goal he scores..

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Buffalo had no idea what to do with Zucker's speed. He forced Nino and Granlund to skate up to his level. It was great to see.

Also...that goal. Holy crap. Pure speed, pulls the puck in, leans into the stick, snipes it up top. Just gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Forget whether or not he's ready for the NHL...is there any other forward on this roster who looks nearly as exciting as Zucker does? I see shades of Gaborik. Not the same level of talent, but the excitement level.

That's precisely why I want him to stay in the line up. He just LOOKS exciting and capable of scoring nonstop. We need this type of energy and skill in our line up, especially right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad