Prospect Info: Jason Zucker Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't know why we didn't call him up earlier. This guy is just providing a spark to the top-6 right now, has found chemistry on the second line and has 3 goals in 5 games (as many as Koivu, Setoguchi, Cullen and Gilbert) even though he's playing a paltry 9-10 minutes a game. He also only has 8 shots in those 5 games! I know he won't be a 40-50 goal scorer in the NHL, but I can see 25-30 goals regularly from him. He has speed and just a good nose for the net. I see a big future from Zucker. Can't believe he dropped to the bottom of the 2nd round.

Billy Mays Here*

Should be re-named to the Jason Zucker Appreciation Thread.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
Yeah, Zucker doesn't seem like much of a prospect now that he will never see AHL time again unless for rehab of some sort.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
He is sooooo good. His speed and confidence to get the puck in the net just amazes me.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd like to see more Zucker on the PP, but then again he said it himself: not much of a passer. Could be they throw him out there 15 minutes a night and he creates more scoring chances against than for. There are players like that. Doesn't have any rumors of attitude problems or the like around him (quite the opposite) so there's got to be a reason for it. Anyone know what his qual comp stats are? Is Yeo only leaving him out there against a certain level of competition?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I don't want to say I've been right about him all along, but... :sarcasm:

Zucker, Cullen, and Setoguchi make for a line compiled with the type of speed we haven't seen in a while, if ever. Refreshing.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
maybe their time is limited so they remain fast throughout the game. Like a rapid reaction force.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't know why we didn't call him up earlier. This guy is just providing a spark to the top-6 right now, has found chemistry on the second line and has 3 goals in 5 games (as many as Koivu, Setoguchi, Cullen and Gilbert) even though he's playing a paltry 9-10 minutes a game. He also only has 8 shots in those 5 games! I know he won't be a 40-50 goal scorer in the NHL, but I can see 25-30 goals regularly from him. He has speed and just a good nose for the net. I see a big future from Zucker. Can't believe he dropped to the bottom of the 2nd round.

I can.

He was rather skinny, raw, and his upside at the time was an extremely talented checker. But thats how important the development of a prospect is, sometimes more than just draft day rankings.

Zucker started to nurture and develop his offensive side of his game in college and continues to improve. Love his energy.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
Very happy we actually have a cocky sniper and now the 2nd line is actually shooting

In my mind, the best thing about zucker is that it makes setoguchi more successful. I think it's been said a few times that seto needs to be a 2ndary threat. Now he is.

EDIT: Also, the fact that we have like a 7.5 MM useful 2nd line is nice too.

10dynasty38*

I'm not gonna lie. I misjudged Zucker completely. This Cat can outright play. It's not that he is the most skilled player in the world but he seems to bring a certain intensity that makes the players around him better. I've noticed players like Cullen and Seto stepping up thier game a notch when Zucker is on a line with them. One of those intangibles that bring about good chemistry.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I'm not gonna lie. I misjudged Zucker completely. This Cat can outright play. It's not that he is the most skilled player in the world but he seems to bring a certain intensity that makes the players around him better. I've noticed players like Cullen and Seto stepping up thier game a notch when Zucker is on a line with them. One of those intangibles that bring about good chemistry.

i've also noticed that, allows both cullen and seto to really skate as fast as they can cause they know zucker is likely the fastest on the ice. give him the puck, or dump it in and hes likely to get in the zone, or get to the puck first, all you gotta do is keep up and support him.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
I like both Zucker and Setoguchi better at even strength than at the PP. Not a dig at them, but speed isn't all that necessary on the PP as puck control and passing. I like their open ice ability and speed, paired with a good playmaker who can keep up.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Love the kid's attitude and I like how he's basically earned his spot and wasn't rushed before he was ready. I really want to see Parise take him under his wing since I've always hoped Zucker would become a Parise-clone.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I can.

He was rather skinny, raw, and his upside at the time was an extremely talented checker. But thats how important the development of a prospect is, sometimes more than just draft day rankings.

Zucker started to nurture and develop his offensive side of his game in college and continues to improve. Love his energy.

I disagree. Zucker had tremendous upside. People saw him as a checking line forward with a lot of upside that could potentially be a solid scoring guy. He had the resume (two gold medals). I just don't see how Zucker wasn't drafted higher based off of that AND his upside.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Zucker looked like an undersized gritty third line type when drafted. Good speed, liked to hit, played sound defense. He really broke out though that following year with Denver. I don't think anyone expected him to start scoring so quickly in college.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
what Jarick said. thinking about it, a winger Wes Walz when drafted?

OpRedDawn*

I like both Zucker and Setoguchi better at even strength than at the PP. Not a dig at them, but speed isn't all that necessary on the PP as puck control and passing. I like their open ice ability and speed, paired with a good playmaker who can keep up.
Zucker was kicking ass on the pp in houston wasn't he? He's got a good shot, and I haven't seen him on the pp yet in the wild

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
run the risk of becoming the guy that started a thread about Nyquist explosions talking about Zucker.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I disagree. Zucker had tremendous upside. People saw him as a checking line forward with a lot of upside that could potentially be a solid scoring guy. He had the resume (two gold medals). I just don't see how Zucker wasn't drafted higher based off of that AND his upside.

My point is that people change, they can get better and outgrow their initial scouting reports. The real reason I am arguing this is because it is pet peeve of mine, people saying "omg, how did he fall so far!" or "omg, why was he picked so high, stupid GM"

During ones draft year, prospects can become risers. Guys like Ryan Johansen are top five picks, but the year before, he was playing in the BCHL not standing out. Same with Brodin, none of us knew who he was until he spent a full year in the SEL.

If one year can raise their stocks that much in just ONE year, the years AFTER they were drafted can affect them just as much, positive or negative. But on draft day, you select players with the info you are given.

With Zucker, ON DRAFT DAY, not considering his improvements he made after that day, he was considered a tenacious winger with great speed, versatility, character, and a deceptive shot. The main question was that, could be round off his offensive game outside of shooting? Also, could you translate his energetic style of player successfully with only a 5-11 170lbs body? Not exactly dangerous at the NHL level.

Of course, he has improved his all-round game, and has successfully put on muscle. So the Wild has developed him properly and that is great.

Zucker looks to be a great Wild youngster, but back to the question, yes I can believe he was selected late in the 2nd.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
My point is that people change, they can get better and outgrow their initial scouting reports. The real reason I am arguing this is because it is pet peeve of mine, people saying "omg, how did he fall so far!" or "omg, why was he picked so high, stupid GM"

During ones draft year, prospects can become risers. Guys like Ryan Johansen are top five picks, but the year before, he was playing in the BCHL not standing out. Same with Brodin, none of us knew who he was until he spent a full year in the SEL.

If one year can raise their stocks that much in just ONE year, the years AFTER they were drafted can affect them just as much, positive or negative. But on draft day, you select players with the info you are given.

With Zucker, ON DRAFT DAY, not considering his improvements he made after that day, he was considered a tenacious winger with great speed, versatility, character, and a deceptive shot. The main question was that, could be round off his offensive game outside of shooting? Also, could you translate his energetic style of player successfully with only a 5-11 170lbs body? Not exactly dangerous at the NHL level.

Of course, he has improved his all-round game, and has successfully put on muscle. So the Wild has developed him properly and that is great.

Zucker looks to be a great Wild youngster, but back to the question, yes I can believe he was selected late in the 2nd.

Looking back it's hard to believe that Zucker fell as far as he did, but hindsight--as the cliche goes--is 20/20.

On draft day it's almost surprising that Zucker got picked as high as he did.

Didn't he basically pave the trail for NHLers in terms of his developmental path. (Roller Hockey...Vegas..etc, etc.)

Side note---

Give Zucker PP time. Set him up in the face off circle...let him rip one timers, scrap for goals, and curl from the corner out into the slot with his speed like he did so many times in the AHL and utilize his wicked release.

Guy needs to be on PP.

Brodz over him? LOL

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

At the time, THN rated Zucker 54th overall. Given his pedigree, I was surprised Zucker fell that far (especially when both Bulmer and Larsson weren't even ranked in the top 100 of the Hockey News and were taken in the 2nd round) because teams like to take a risk on a players like Zucker. A guy like Datsyuk, definitely can fit the label of a pet peeve but a guy like Zucker? It wasn't like he was till playing in California or Las Vegas.

True. Brodin though was a bit more know. Maybe not by casual fans but by scouts.

I wouldn't say the Wild but Denver and the U-18 group.

I can't. Zucker was graded in the mid-2nd round (and probably should have been taken higher). If Zucker was playing in the USHL, I could see it. Or some High School. But he was in the u-18 program at the time. Same thing with Erik Haula. He was a top 60 guy and fell to the 7th round.

Mumbler*

Give Zucker PP time. Set him up in the face off circle...let him rip one timers, scrap for goals, and curl from the corner out into the slot with his speed like he did so many times in the AHL and utilize his wicked release.

Guy needs to be on PP.

Brodz over him? LOL

Have him take lil-baby-spurge's spot. He can wind up and fire probably better than spurge can taking those feeds from Suter. He can probably chase the rebound down better also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad