Jason Spezza or Kari Lehtonen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossroads*

Now (as in next year): Spezza
Future (as in after next year): Lehtonen.

Mat

lehtonen
as a goalie, he wins games
spezza is only a piece to a bigger puzzle

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
lehtonen

But don't forget that Spezza has the visionary ability to make the players around him better with his lethal set-up skills. That's not to say that Lehtonen won't have more of an impact than Spezza

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Minnesota Norse Star said:
lehtonen

But don't forget that Spezza has the visionary ability to make the players around him better with his lethal set-up skills. That's not to say that Lehtonen won't have more of an impact than Spezza

Lehtonen has the ability to stop pucks and give his team more confidence to go on the offensive because he has the ability to make the saves with less help from a defensive team around him. So both players have the ability to make the players around them better BUT top goalies are mroe valuable than top centers.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
Crossroads said:
Now (as in next year): Spezza
Future (as in after next year): Lehtonen.

I agree with this. Its easier to with without a number one center than without a #1 keeper. I thinki both will be very good players, but the edge goes to the goalie.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its true its true goaltenders are always the most important player on the team. But with all these rule changes im reading about the gap has been close in my opinion.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Why do people make such dumb posts? You can't compare apples and oranges, no matter how hard you'd like to try.

Who would you rather have, Mario Lemieux or Patrick Roy? There's no real answer, you can argue back and forth for hours.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Draft Guru said:
Why do people make such dumb posts? You can't compare apples and oranges, no matter how hard you'd like to try.

Who would you rather have, Mario Lemieux or Patrick Roy? There's no real answer, you can argue back and forth for hours.
Its not that at all, I am trying to read peoples opinions on who will make a more dominate impact. Not who will get more goals or wins

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Elite goaltenders (assuming Kari pans out and becomes one) is usually in more demand than a scoring center. I mean, how many goalies can you honestly say you'd rely on to win a Stanley Cup Game 7? Probably 3 or 4, tops. With centers, or any other position, you have lots of choices and you can usually replace them with a Free Agent signing.

This is not to say Spezza isn't any good though. In a couple of years, he'll be among the top scorers in the league, but when you compare Lehtonen with him, Lehtonen gets the nod.

frank4president

Feb 26, 2004
Draft Guru said:
Why do you make such a dumb post? There are lots of ways in which you can compare apples with oranges. :teach:
Apple julius? I don't think so. 1-0 oranges.
Orange pie? Yuk! That there evens it up 1-1.

You get the drift.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Captain Conservative said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Lehtonen will have a bigger impact than Spezza next year.

From a guy by the name of Captain Conservative Id expect a more conservative statement! WOW!

But really, I dont think Lehtonen will have more of an impact than Spezza, Spezza has alreayd had a huge impact as a young player. Karis impact might be measured as greater only because if he has a good performance as a goalie and Atlanta makes the playoffs it will be a bigger impact cause hes making a not so good team good whereas Spezza made a great team only a bit better.

Either way what I think this post is moreless about is not who will make a bigger impact next year but whos value is going to be greater after next year. He wants to draft the most valuable of the two in his hockey pool most likely.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
That explains why only 2 goalies have ever gone 1st overall ever in the draft. I should trade Alexander Ovechkin for Lehtonen b/c as you all suggest goalies are better....

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with just about everything that was said here. I think that the way the NHL has been the past 10 years, you don't need a great goalie to win. The way the game has been played, you don't need a goalie capable of stopping 35 shots a night. Look at the last year they played, the difference between the #3 goalie and the #28 in GAA was less than half a goal a game, a total of 41 over a season. The difference between a great forward and a bottom tier one will be a good 50 points over the course of the season. Want further proof? We have had Arturs Irbe, JS Giguere, and Mikka Kipprusof carry their teams to the finals, while stars like Turco, Luongo, Kolzig, Belfour haven't. Point is, the way the game has been played the past few years, with so few offensive chances, you don't need a star goalie to keep goals down. On the other hand, few teams have managed to score without a true offensive star.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I_Am_Canadian said:
That explains why only 2 goalies have ever gone 1st overall ever in the draft. I should trade Alexander Ovechkin for Lehtonen b/c as you all suggest goalies are better....

depending on my team, i may take that trade. I think Ovechkin is a little overrated, although he will still be a top 10 player, I dont think he will have as much of a positive influence when it comes to overall win %.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
On the Senators, Spezza is one of many weapons, so his impact is automatically reduced.

Regardless of how hyped he is here, Lehtonen will be behind Nurminen when the season starts, and as hyped as Lehtonen is, Nurminen is no slouch, and deserves to keep his job.

The irony here is that, if they swapped teams, either one could have serious impact next year. As it stands, I give the short-term edge to Spezza, though I think he'll never be an elite center.

trojan4

May 23, 2005
Lehtonen, maybe not as soon as next year since Spezza can already score 20-30 goals in a full NHL season but Lehtonen will be the best goaltender out there in a few years. Any prospect that's ranked ahead of him is a bit overrated in my books. Not even Ovechkin or Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad