Player Discussion Jason Pominville

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Way to go JPoms. He is making a lot of people on this forum look stupid - how many people still want him bought out? A few of us still believed in him but even then to be PPG & playing as he is... Nobody would have called it.

He is my 'draft year' too & makes me feel old seeing him hit 1,000 games. But if he keeps this up - absolutely he should be resigned. As long as its 1 year there's no problem.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It’s been great to see. I wonder how long he can keep up.

Repopulating the ville.
I’d say probably for a long time since the overwhelming majority of the work that line does is done by Jack/Skinner. Which means Pommer isn’t relied on to do much beyond his smart, simple game. He goes to the open spots, he goes to the net and he moves the puck quickly. He is consistently rewarded for that play. If Jack/Skinner begin to falter then he will as well.

Reactions: brian_griffin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I’d say probably for a long time since the overwhelming majority of the work that line does is done by Jack/Skinner. Which means Pommer isn’t relied on to do much beyond his smart, simple game. He goes to the open spots, he goes to the net and he moves the puck quickly. He is consistently rewarded for that play. If Jack/Skinner begin to falter then he will as well.

Yup, it's really the perfect role for him at this stage of his career. He's not going to carry the mail like he once did, but he certainly still knows where the scoring spots are and how to finish. As long as he keeps putting himself in scoring positions, Eichel and Skinner will keep getting the puck there.

Reactions: joshjull

Deleted member 27798

Nice start to the season for him in the twilight of his career.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I had not realised his total career stat line was so impressive. 700 points in 1000 games is fantastic. 51 points in 81 playoff games.

It is clear he is benefiting from Skinner and Eichel but that is not always an easy thing to do. How many players have we seen play with Eichel who could not finish or handle his plays to them.

Reactions: Dingo44

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
You are correct Tatanka, he has faded in recent years.

He apparently worked much harder in the off season than in the past, and is in great shape.

I have been critical of his disappearing act in the past - but I'll gladly give the man props if he can continue to produce throughout the season.

crow.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pominville was drafted 55th in 2001.

He is t-2nd in NHL games played from that draft class (Hamhuis 1038, Spezza & Pominville 1002, & Plekanec 1001), 5th in goals (Kovy 421, Spezza 327, Cammalleri 294, Sharp 287, Pominville 285), 3rd in assists (Spezza 571, Koivu, 470, Pominville 425), and 3rd in points (Spezza 898, Kovy 827, Pominville 710) and 6th in Pts/GP (Kovy 0.998 Spezza 0.896 D Roy 0.710 Koivu 0.7097 Cammalleri 0.708609 Pominville 0.708583)

Not bad for a late 2nd round pick.

That draft class for the Sabres was funny.

They got a ton out of their 3 2nds (Roy, Thorburn, and Pominville) with not much in the 1st (Novotny) and nothing after the 2nd.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Pominville was drafted 55th in 2001.

He is t-2nd in NHL games played from that draft class (Hamhuis 1038, Spezza & Pominville 1002, & Plekanec 1001), 5th in goals (Kovy 421, Spezza 327, Cammalleri 294, Sharp 287, Pominville 285), 3rd in assists (Spezza 571, Koivu, 470, Pominville 425), and 3rd in points (Spezza 898, Kovy 827, Pominville 710) and 6th in Pts/GP (Kovy 0.998 Spezza 0.896 D Roy 0.710 Koivu 0.7097 Cammalleri 0.708609 Pominville 0.708583)

Not bad for a late 2nd round pick.

That draft class for the Sabres was funny.

They got a ton out of their 3 2nds (Roy, Thorburn, and Pominville) with not much in the 1st (Novotny) and nothing after the 2nd.

I'd have never guessed at this point Roy out ppg'ed poms. Thanks for this post. I genuinely enjoyed it.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
You are correct Tatanka, he has faded in recent years.

He apparently worked much harder in the off season than in the past, and is in great shape.

I have been critical of his disappearing act in the past - but I'll gladly give the man props if he can continue to produce throughout the season.

View attachment 152055
I don't root against my team or its players. I would love to be wrong. But even last night his utility when not being gifted chances by Eichel and Skinner was minimal. Against a fast team he struggles to keep up and play at the higher pace. He is a great guy by all accounts but that shouldn't be a factor in deciding to move on. He is not the uber athlete that Jagr and Hossa were. Again I will join you at the table but I don't think it will be necessary.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I don't root against my team or its players. I would love to be wrong. But even last night his utility when not being gifted chances by Eichel and Skinner was minimal. Against a fast team he struggles to keep up and play at the higher pace. He is a great guy by all accounts but that shouldn't be a factor in deciding to move on. He is not the uber athlete that Jagr and Hossa were. Again I will join you at the table but I don't think it will be necessary.

Nope, I'm pretty much on board with your thoughts on him.....

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
11-26: Jason Pominville with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (8:39)

#Sabres forward Jason Pominville joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR! Tune in:

Pominville on the 9-game win streak - it's been a lot of fun. Everyone has had to put a lot of work into where we are now, but I'm happy for the guys. To finally get a taste of what the city is about when we're winning is great to see. #Sabres

Pominville - I still think there's another level that we can reach, but to see the level of support from everyone here is a lot of fun for us. #Sabres

Pominville - when you're winning, it's much easier to show up to the rink every day and have fun. #Sabres

Pominville - I thought we were going to be better this season, we couldn't be any worse from where we were last year. Our goaltending has been phenomenal, they're giving us a chance to win every night. (1/2) #Sabres

Pominville - We have the depth up front, and to have Bogosian and McCabe healthy is huge, and to add Dahlin is huge. You look at the roister now, you can see why we're having so much success. (2/2) #Sabres

Pominville - last year, we'd go into our shell if we didn't get the start that we wanted. Now, it's trusting each other and trusting what we've worked on so hard to get this point. We just keep doing what we know helps us be successful and win hockey games. #Sabres

Pominville on Dahlin - Expectations were pretty high, he looked like the real deal with his skating, puck handling and his offensive instincts this summer. You can see he's improved a lot already this season. He's the real package and he's been a lot of fun to play with. #Sabres

Pominville - we have many young guys on this roster, but they're helping us win games and they're already getting better. It's been a blast to be a part of. #Sabres

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
no one would want that contract even for a rental. The skill just isn't there anymore. As much as i am ready for him to walk away, i am glad he'll potentially finish his career as a sabre.
His contract isn't really a big deal at all. All but a handful of teams could add it without thinking twice, especially if the Sabres retained salary. If teams aren't interested, it's because of his play, not his contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How long until they put him in the pressbox to start evaluating the kids? Or do they give recalls the Smith treatment and put them out there with Slobotka and dross like Thompson in limited minutes?

Shelve Poms if they're not trying to find him a shot at being playoff depth for someone. Play other players his minutes, especially on PP2.

Reactions: SwedeDreams

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Yeah at this point he's flat out one of the worst players in the league sadly. He can still shoot if you get him the puck in a good area, but otherwise his atrocious skating and total inability to compete physically have made him a total detriment out there. He can't skate with the puck for even 3 seconds anymore, just gets closed off right away. Thanks for the memories but I look forward to upgrading that roster spot.

Reactions: IlikeEich

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Great guy but at this point he should be Rivet'd. I think he'll make a fine black ace if a playoff team wants to add character down the stretch. If all parties were on board with that Buffalo should let it happen for future considerations.

Reactions: sabremike

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How long until they put him in the pressbox to start evaluating the kids? Or do they give recalls the Smith treatment and put them out there with Slobotka and dross like Thompson in limited minutes?

Shelve Poms if they're not trying to find him a shot at being playoff depth for someone. Play other players his minutes, especially on PP2.
I don't think Pominville has accumulated enough head injuries to be considered for a management role.

Reactions: sabremike

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
On 1 hand...what a great ending encapsulated in that game.

On the other...1 more year? He still outplays a significant amount of our trash. He's a true respected vet.

This is 2006 Gab talking for sure. It'll pass.

Love you Pom. One of the best Sabres.

Reactions: searoc

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
On 1 hand...what a great ending encapsulated in that game.

On the other...1 more year? He still outplays a significant amount of our trash. He's a true respected vet.

This is 2006 Gab talking for sure. It'll pass.

Love you Pom. One of the best Sabres.

Love Poms...

but hell to the no. He's done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->