Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/pominville-settled-back-buffalo

Pominville%201.jpg

Pominville is settled back into Buffalo
Getting his number back from Jake McCabe wasn't hard

PAUL HAMILTON
AUGUST 29, 2017 - 3:41 PM

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - The movers have come and gone and Jason Pominville is back in Western New York. He hit the ice at HarborCenter for the first time on Tuesday which was a place that was being built when he left.

Pominville went to training camp with Zemgus Girgensons and was teammates with Matt Moulson and Marco Scandella in Minnesota, but other than that, he doesn't know anybody else.

Pominville had on his familiar number 29 and he said he got the number back from Jake McCabe right away, "When the trade happened, Dave Williams, our equipment guy called me and he said McCabe sent him a text saying, 'I guess I'm going to change my number,' so he said he wanted an excuse to change his number anyway, so he's like, I'm going to go to 19, so I texted McCabe and said if you want to keep it, you keep it and his response was pretty funny, he goes, 'I think more people have your jersey than mine, so I'm going to change to 19.' So it was nice of him to do that and I guess I'll probably owe him dinner or something."

Pominville has been back in town the get into his new house and get his kids ready for school. He said, "It's nice to be back, it was a little weird driving around the city and a few things have changed here and there, but we're excited. Ever since the trade we were looking forward to getting here and getting established."

Pominville has spoken briefly with Phil Housley twice and he said, "I'm definitely feeling excitement. I think the team is headed in the right direction, there's a lot of young players that are going to be really good players in the league."

Pominville is looking forward to meeting and playing with Jack Eichel. He said, "He's an elite player and a guy that has a really, really bright future."

"When you have him and O'Reilly as your top two centers, I think your team is setup down the middle to be pretty good for a lot of years and hopefully Jack is able to sign a long-term deal and stay here awhile."

Pominville knows about Scandella and was getting to know Zach Bogosian on the ice today. He said, "Even the D, Ristolainen's a great player, you add Beaulieu, Scandella is going to be a big part of the team, so I think it's headed in the right direction."

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Not sure if we really want okie dokie with a letter. He can be a mentor still without one. His presence precedes himself

rbochan

Not sure what there is to discuss. Yet another season of watching him skate down the sideboards, slap the puck dead center in the opposing goalie's chest pad, then skating around the end boards chewing on his mouth guard like it owes him money.

$niper.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresPR -
With his goal, Jason Pominville now has eight points (6G, 2A) in his last eight games against the Montreal Canadiens.
Pominville's goal in his first game since rejoining the Sabres is his first in a Sabres jersey since March 21, 2013.
With Pominville's goal, the Sabres have now had a newly-acquired player score in five of their last seven season-opening games.
With his second goal of the night, Pominville now has nine points (7G, 2A) in his last eight games against the Canadiens.
With his goals tonight, Jason Pominville has moved into sole possession of 11th in Sabres franchise history with 458 points (187G, 271A).
Pominville
now trails Thomas Vanek by 39 points for 10th in team history.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Man, it was so sweet seeing pommers score twice last night! Really loving this "new" team.

It definitely brought back some good feelings. His shorthanded goal in Ottawa is maybe my favorite memory from that run.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Q&A with Jason Pominville: 'I'm an older guy but I still...

Q&A with Jason Pominville: ‘I’m an older guy but I still love to play’

BUFFALO — When Jason Pominville returned to Buffalo last summer in the trade that brought Marco Scandella, he re-joined the Sabres as a veteran as opposed to the up-and-coming goal scorer he was when he rose to glory coming out of the lockout in 2005-2006.

At age 36, the three-time 30-plus goal scorer is the oldest player on the roster and entering the final year on his contract. While this might be a reason to fret for the future, Pominville spoke with The Athletic following a scrimmage session with Sabres teammates to discuss the upcoming season, offseason moves made by GM Jason Botterill, and reflect on what went so wrong for the team last year.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
What are your thought of what it will take from the Mayor this season to get a new deal done with the club? Performance, competition and contract length and dollars?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What are your thought of what it will take from the Mayor this season to get a new deal done with the club? Performance, competition and contract length and dollars?
If he takes a massive paycut for a short term contract, i am in. Otherwise, no matter how complementary he is to the Eichel and Skinner line, we can't sink big cash into a player in his twilight years.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Love the player and what he means to the organization. But after this year he is a coach. We have to many guys knocking on the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad