Value of: Jason Pominville to NJD

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minny will be picking 25th or higher. The Devils can sweeten the pot by adding 2017 2nd. For Jason and their 1st.

Better get Chayka on the phone then because Arizona has the Wild's 2017 1st.

Even if they still had it I doubt Minnesota would do this, for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Better get Chayka on the phone then because Arizona has the Wild's 2017 1st.

Even if they still had it I doubt Minnesota would do this, for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

I could see Pominville + 2017 3rd for Josefson/DSP/Moore/Prout + Boston's 2nd

Basically whatever depth player the Wild like the most from the Devils. Devils would see it as getting rid of a guy they have no use for, but the Wild would likely pick the player they think fits best onto their team for next year while getting out of the Pominville deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I could see Pominville + 2017 3rd for Josefson/DSP/Moore/Prout + Boston's 2nd

Basically whatever depth player the Wild like the most from the Devils. Devils would see it as getting rid of a guy they have no use for, but the Wild would likely pick the player they think fits best onto their team for next year while getting out of the Pominville deal.

There might be Wild fans out there that would take that. Personally I'd rather just keep Pominville.

Remember, his NTC makes the chances of him going to New Jersey before July 1st effectively nil (unless you think the Devils are one of the 10 teams currently on his list). So if the Wild trade him at all it would have to be after the expansion draft, which removes one of the main motivators to trade him in the first place (a protection slot). We'd have to be trading him off purely for cap reasons, which would probably require all of the following:

1.) We lost a cheap contract (like Zucker or Dumba) to the expansion draft.
2.) We did not trade off anyone else (like Haula and/or Scandella) between the expansion draft and July 1st.
3.) Our RFA re-signings (Granlund and Nino) were worse than expected.

If those things don't happen, I don't see why Minnesota would be trying to dump a right wing (which we're not exactly drowning in) that's making $5.6M for two more years and can be relied upon to put up ~50pts without significant PP time.

If those things did happen and Minnesota chooses/is forced to move him, I do think they could do better than Pominville + 3rd for a 2nd.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There might be Wild fans out there that would take that. Personally I'd rather just keep Pominville.

Remember, his NTC makes the chances of him going to New Jersey before July 1st effectively nil (unless you think the Devils are one of the 10 teams currently on his list). So if the Wild trade him at all it would have to be after the expansion draft, which removes one of the main motivators to trade him in the first place (a protection slot). We'd have to be trading him off purely for cap reasons, which would probably require all of the following:

1.) We lost a cheap contract (like Zucker or Dumba) to the expansion draft.
2.) We did not trade off anyone else (like Haula and/or Scandella) between the expansion draft and July 1st.
3.) Our RFA re-signings (Granlund and Nino) were worse than expected.

If those things don't happen, I don't see why Minnesota would be trying to dump a right wing (which we're not exactly drowning in) that's making $5.6M for two more years and can be relied upon to put up ~50pts without significant PP time.

If those things did happen and Minnesota chooses/is forced to move him, I do think they could do better than Pominville + 3rd for a 2nd.

Fair enough. There's hardly a deal everyone agrees on completely, but I could certainly see that being a deal that would occur.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pominville had a couple of mediocre years, by his standards, but he has been good for almost a year now, and this is with him playing up and down the lineup, and not getting the prime TOI he got earlier in his career. At this time he simply is not a problem for the Wild, and it can be argued that he might be part of the solution, as his production when he plays in the bottom six makes the MN a dangerous team.

3 1/2 yrs. ago MN fans were pulling their hair out wondering what they were going to do with Poms contract. Now, not so much. He's playing well. We're obsessing about the Hawks, the ED, and the Mumps.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Pominville had a couple of mediocre years, by his standards, but he has been good for almost a year now, and this is with him playing up and down the lineup, and not getting the prime TOI he got earlier in his career. At this time he simply is not a problem for the Wild, and it can be argued that he might be part of the solution, as his production when he plays in the bottom six makes the MN a dangerous team.

3 1/2 yrs. ago MN fans were pulling their hair out wondering what they were going to do with Poms contract. Now, not so much. He's playing well. We're obsessing about the Hawks, the ED, and the Mumps.
Wrong. He put up 30+30 after signing the contract. He's only been under 50pts with the Wild one season (pacing to 52 this year). Last year was the one where people were extremely worried.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Taking Pominville off your hands is a BIG move. Not only are we taking a big contract, it gives you a ton of flexibility with the upcoming expansion. We'd easily want a 1st in addition.

If the Wild run into cap issues they simply buyout the last 2 seasons of his deal. Personally I believe he will waive his limited NTC for the expansion draft but with the Wild already likely to lose someone like Dumba or Haula to expansion I seriously doubt they pay Scandella to take Pominville off their hands.

Besides he's on pace for almost 50 points this year so it's not like he doesn't produce.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wrong. He put up 30+30 after signing the contract. He's only been under 50pts with the Wild one season (pacing to 52 this year). Last year was the one where people were extremely worried.

I blame the years of alcohol abuse. And kids. And the Timberwolves/Vikings.

The way it looked to me was he started to look bad in the latter half of his 54 point year, then last year he was atrociously bad till the last couple of months of the season and playoffs when he was decent. He's been at least OK this year, but often pretty good in his own opportunistic way. He's the guy who always finds a way to knock in a shot, or get the nice little pass to someone who scores, or has the puck knock off his skate and go in.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Pominville has had couple really poor season starts, but heats up in the spring.

I think he took summer training tips from Dany "allstar" Heatley :D

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They would be stupid to keep the cap hit.

As a contender, they need all the space they can get.

Pominville is a 50 point player.

Unless they have a player needing a big raise any time soon, Pominville is worth his AAV and they don't have to move on from him.

I don't imagine Grandlund/Niederreiter would command big money and they're likely losing one of Scandella/Brodin this off-season.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Pominville is a 50 point player.

Unless they have a player needing a big raise any time soon, Pominville is worth his AAV and they don't have to move on from him.

I don't imagine Grandlund/Niederreiter would command big money and they're likely losing one of Scandella/Brodin this off-season.

Depends on what you think big money is, Nino will get around 5 per and Granlund will get at least that.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Minnesota would be stupid to overpay to get Pomminville off their hands. He's only around for 2 more seasons and he's not as bad as some people at HF say he is.

It would be for that reason and the reason to protect their main 7 Forwards in Parise, Koivu, Granlund, Nino, Staal, Zucker and Coyle otherwise you have to expose one of them.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Depends on what you think big money is, Nino will get around 5 per and Granlund will get at least that.

Just a quick glance but they should still have enough space considering one of Brodin/Scandella will likely be taken from Minnesota.

If not, then it would be Zucker and that's an extension they wouldn't have to worry about next off-season. Other than that, I don't see any other places where they will have to add a hefty contract unless they're planning on keeping Hanzal.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Pominville is also a very liked player inside the team according to Russo. I'm having hard time believing that he'll be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad